Just got Purple IP relay and I have stupid questions

Im not sure exact what you are trying to do. I am not 100% clear on what you mean. Yes, it can be confused and I WAS confused with mobile, but got it.

Question, did you try port the number during registration?

If YES, it can take up to two weeks if I recall right
If no, then usually when you register and they (Relay provider offered or assigns you a number for you to use and you can use it right away.

I believe if it is IP relay (Text based), then you need call Customer service to prove your Deaf. It is not that hard, just call though video which will be easier to prove you use signs and have reason need of relay.

There are different kinds of relay services available and I am STILL not sure what you are trying to do?

Video relay call with or without VCO
Text based Relay call with or without VCO
Caption call or similiar type of relay

Which one of above 5 different kinds are you trying to use?

I'm guessing its some variation of the VCO features cuz she does not know sign language..........

Yes just text/captioning I have no idea I've never used the relay service. I could use the phone up to a couple years ago, it was hard but I could do it. Then when I couldn't do it anymore I'd make my husband call people. But I left him, so I just haven't called anyone, if I need to make an appointment, or talk to someone at a business I just physically go there. But that's not always possible.

Just did some more looking. I have been assuming that you started with the Sprint one and have been answering with that in mind.

Now I looked at Hamilton's site after not really following it closely for quite some time and find they make reference to a "call me #" (call me followed by the pound sign) which Sprint makes no mention of stated that way (call me #).

So. . . just where did you come across the need for "professional certification"?

Yes it was the Hamilton, I didn't think I could the Sprint one at first because I didn't see anything about the iphone, only android operating system. I just went on their website and started filling the stuff out just to get to the screen where you choose your user name and password, then at the bottom there's the FCC requires I took a pic of the page.

ambrosia-albums-grumpy-cat-picture5966-315093-4975066612296-425223717-n.jpg

It is not that hard and I am willing to help in a step by step manor if you want.

First off I was hoping when you next posted after the ones I did above we would know which site you were on when you came to the need for "professional certification".

There are a few tricks but in the long run it turns out close to what you were used to with a voice phone.

The Sprint one just made you swear , certify whatever phrased they used that you were hearing impaired and needed it for that reason. phew!! Then I filled out all the info to register for that app, hit save, it told me to please wait....and then never did anything. OMG I thought my head was going to explode. I was on my phone doing it in Walmart though. SO I'm going to try it again on my comp...and if that doesn't work I'm going to have an anuerysim or something lol

I have no Idea why they were asking about land line phone stuff when I was registering for captel service on a smart phone......

Okay I just registered for it on my comp and it told me to wait for an email to activate it. phew No one is going to die this day....not by my hands anyway.

The Sprint one just made you swear , certify whatever phrased they used that you were hearing impaired and needed it for that reason. phew!! Then I filled out all the info to register for that app, hit save, it told me to please wait....and then never did anything. OMG I thought my head was going to explode. I was on my phone doing it in Walmart though. SO I'm going to try it again on my comp...and if that doesn't work I'm going to have an anuerysim or something lol

I have no Idea why they were asking about land line phone stuff when I was registering for captel service on a smart phone......

The bit of if you were on the Sprint or Hamilton site is where so much of our confusion has come from.

I didn't stop to think about the possibility that we were dealing with an iPhone rather than an Android. And . . . the Sprint app is JUST for Android. If you had gone to the web site and read details it is there about it being JUST FOR ANDROID.

The Hamilton one does have versions for both. BUT. . . it looks like you clicked on something at the wrong place and got into the landline section.

I am not that familiar with any of the iPhone models. I do know that for one of these apps to work with one phone on Verizon you need to be in a 4G area with a phone that supports 4G. (Verizon only offers voice and data at the same time on 4G). The way I had gotten around this quite some time ago (before the Sprint app came out) was to use the browser in a smart phone for the web version and a cheap flip phone to talk into. There is a way to keep a phone for the voice side active for $80 per year. Feel free to ask for more detail here or PM me.

I do think that one of us needs to email them about the current requirements because in the past that web site has not always kept up with the changes of what is actually needed.

The bit of if you were on the Sprint or Hamilton site is where so much of our confusion has come from.

I didn't stop to think about the possibility that we were dealing with an iPhone rather than an Android. And . . . the Sprint app is JUST for Android. If you had gone to the web site and read details it is there about it being JUST FOR ANDROID.

The Hamilton one does have versions for both. BUT. . . it looks like you clicked on something at the wrong place and got into the landline section.

I am not that familiar with any of the iPhone models. I do know that for one of these apps to work with one phone on Verizon you need to be in a 4G area with a phone that supports 4G. (Verizon only offers voice and data at the same time on 4G). The way I had gotten around this quite some time ago (before the Sprint app came out) was to use the browser in a smart phone for the web version and a cheap flip phone to talk into. There is a way to keep a phone for the voice side active for $80 per year. Feel free to ask for more detail here or PM me.

I do think that one of us needs to email them about the current requirements because in the past that web site has not always kept up with the changes of what is actually needed.

I didn't see any iphone stuff on the verizon site, and I swear I got to that page from register now on the smartphone section on the Hamilton. I think they only have them in there as ways you can verify you're deaf and need the app. The sprint makes you just swear to it, and deafbiker says you do have to prove it to purple. SO I have no idea.

I checked the apple store, that's where you get apps for your iphone, and they DID have a Sprint Captel app!! so we'll see if it works. I don't think it would be available in the apple store if it won't work for an iphone. But hey since I'm having such a hard time anyway!!! of course they'd have it there and it not work lol. crossing my fingers

I didn't see any iphone stuff on the verizon site, and I swear I got to that page from register now on the smartphone section on the Hamilton. I checked the apple store, that's where you get apps for your iphone, and they DID have a Sprint Captel app!! so we'll see if it works. I don't think it would be available in the apple store if it won't work for an iphone. But hey since I'm having such a hard time anyway!!! of course they'd have it there and it not work lol. crossing my fingers

Good Luck! As I said I know next to nothing about iPhones.

Also, to read what the other person is saying on the bigger screen you might want to use the web version on your computer for that side of the conversation and your iPhone to talk into when you are home or around any computer. For the Sprint version see Placing & Receiving Calls with WebCapTel | Sprint CapTel

Please read that whole section of their site.

I believe if it is IP relay (Text based), then you need call Customer service to prove your Deaf. It is not that hard, just call though video which will be easier to prove you use signs and have reason need of relay.

What what what? What if that deaf doesn't know sign language nor have poor visual like usher syndrome? Make no sense.

Text based relay service is very easy to cheat. ANYONE can use it, even hearing people can use it and abused them, that violates FCC regulation. ONLY DEAF, or HOH is eligible, not hearing to hearing. VRS relay is easier to catch the cheater. If the operator recognizes both parties that is really hearing will be forced to cut the call off abruptly and can NOT bill these calls to FCC. Same way is if you try to call hearing person in same room, they relay operators are required to cut off the call immediately, no buts and ifs or excuses.

Those who are oral or don't know sign language and is Deaf have to prove they are actually either Deaf or HOH before using text based relay. How can they prove they are qualified to use relay if using by text?

You have to remember, John Yeh had done damages which leads to FCC turned the relay industry into tightest ship than ever.

FCC made it clear to all providers that they (FCC) will NOT pay for relay calls between Hearing people and other hearing people without any of speech or hearing issues.

* Hearing to hearing - Illegal *
Hearing to Deaf - Legal
Hearing to HOH - Legal
HOH to HOH - Legal
Hearing to non-signer Deaf - legal
Anyone from outside US to another person from outside -ILLEGAL!
If Deaf American wants to use relay service of any kind MUST submit and register to prove they are American and meets either Deaf or HOH requirements then they can use overseas. No proof, then no relay, period.

Several relay providers had to pay back to FCC for these types of illegal relay calls. That is why Ambrose is having trouble since she don't know how to sign but she is HOH or deaf and has actually met the requirement.

What what what? What if that deaf doesn't know sign language nor have poor visual like usher syndrome? Make no sense.

Text based relay service is very easy to cheat. ANYONE can use it, even hearing people can use it and abused them, that violates FCC regulation. ONLY DEAF, or HOH is eligible, not hearing to hearing. VRS relay is easier to catch the cheater. If the operator recognizes both parties that is really hearing will be forced to cut the call off abruptly and can NOT bill these calls to FCC. Same way is if you try to call hearing person in same room, they relay operators are required to cut off the call immediately, no buts and ifs or excuses.

Those who are oral or don't know sign language and is Deaf have to prove they are actually either Deaf or HOH before using text based relay. How can they prove they are qualified to use relay if using by text?

You have to remember, John Yeh had done damages which leads to FCC turned the relay industry into tightest ship than ever.

FCC made it clear to all providers that they (FCC) will NOT pay for relay calls between Hearing people and other hearing people without any of speech or hearing issues.

* Hearing to hearing - Illegal *
Hearing to Deaf - Legal
Hearing to HOH - Legal
HOH to HOH - Legal
Hearing to non-signer Deaf - legal
Anyone from outside US to another person from outside -ILLEGAL!
If Deaf American wants to use relay service of any kind MUST submit and register to prove they are American and meets either Deaf or HOH requirements then they can use overseas. No proof, then no relay, period.

Several relay providers had to pay back to FCC for these types of illegal relay calls. That is why Ambrose is having trouble since she don't know how to sign but she is HOH or deaf and has actually met the requirement.

I aware of that... Think about it... How can usher syndrome able to prove he/she is deaf? The videophone show to them like a blur on cheap shitty webcam from early 2000s. They're heavy dependent on TRS online.

Last time I hear from Hamilton Relay, they're required to send the proof of electric bill and copy of drive license with their legal address. (sound painful in ass) I believe it's enough proof that they're US resident.

Being Usher Syndrome does not disqualify them if they are HOH or Deaf

You kept forget this, there are tooo tooo many hearing people pretend they are deaf or HOH just to save their phone bills. Many were caught abusing FCC already.

Get unrelated issues OUT of this discussion, this has nothing to do with visual impairment.

I aware of that... Think about it... How can usher syndrome able to prove he/she is deaf? The videophone show to them like a blur on cheap shitty webcam from early 2000s. They're heavy dependent on TRS online.

Last time I hear from Hamilton Relay, they're required to send the proof of electric bill and copy of drive license with their legal address. (sound painful in ass) I believe it's enough proof that they're US resident.

You kept forget this, there are tooo tooo many hearing people pretend they are deaf or HOH just to save their phone bills. Many were caught already.

Get unrelated issues OUT of this discussion, this has nothing to do with visual impairment.

Curious how did they get caught?

Though registration :) Once one register, they will investigate whether that customer is legal to use relay or not once they suspect then it will trigger more investigation and bust the crook.

Have you noticed that in order to use relay service, everyone is now required to register. 3 years ago, registration is not even a requirement, just sign up and use it... not anymore.

Curious how did they get caught?

Though registration :) Once one register, they will investigate whether that customer is legal to use relay or not once they suspect then it will trigger more investigation and bust the crook.

Have you noticed that in order to use relay service, everyone is now required to register. 3 years ago, registration is not even a requirement, just sign up and use it... not anymore.

Yes. I thought they have to show up and meet deaf people to make sure they are deaf.

cool.

FF, it is not really cool. Its really sad because too many people have abused too much to the point where FCC had to force several changes made on those who runs relay business. Basically, damages has done.

FF, it is not really cool. Its really sad because too many people have abused too much to the point where FCC had to force several changes made on those who runs relay business. Basically, damages has done.

I agree that it isn't cool. I hate it when i had to register all over and over. I hate sign in and log out all BS. I hope there will be something that make it work right.

You kept forget this, there are tooo tooo many hearing people pretend they are deaf or HOH just to save their phone bills. Many were caught abusing FCC already.

Now, I understand why usher syndrome feel left out when they're try to be social with deaf group. Tsk @ U

Again, what does this thread has to do with Usher Syndrome? I have NOTHING against people with visual impairments.

If a person is blind and is hearing then they can NOT register and use relay service of any kind, but can use it with other caller that is either Deaf or HOH. That is clearly written in FCC regulation while if a person who is blind and Deaf (or HOH) then they are qualified because they are Deaf or HoH simple as is, that is what FCC made it clear 3 years ago.

And please go to iTRS website though FCC.gov and find laws with iTRS that mentioned Usher Syndrome and show me. I don't think you will find one.

Now, I understand why usher syndrome feel left out when they're try to be social with deaf group. Tsk @ U

Back