Just got hearing aids.

chingxho

Reaction score
Ugh, what a nightmare...will I ever get used to them? My voice sounds mad weird & they feel really uncomfortable. Everythings too loud in my right, but I can't hear shit out of my left...Is this normal or am I just strange or something?

You do get used to them

Hey,
You do get used to aides. It takes a while and also needs you to persist. I am profoundly deaf but my aides not only help me vibrate when people are near but give others a clue that I am hearing impaired...Stay with it is worth it honest..
Love and Light,
Chyna:h5:

You might want to see your audi to let him/her know that your hearing aids feel uncomfortable. They may be able to file down your earmolds for a more comfortable fit or use a different earmold than the ones you're using now.

As for your left hearing aid sounding softer than your right, I would also let your audi know that as well. It sounds like some adjustments need to be made in order for them to sound more balanced.

When you say your voice sounds weird, does it sound as if you're in a barrel? If so, you may need a vent put in your earmolds.

Hang in there! Wearing hearing aids do take some getting used to at first, but having them is well worth it once you have them adequately programmed and fitted.

Hope this helps! :)

You might want to see your audi to let him/her know that your hearing aids feel uncomfortable. They may be able to file down your earmolds for a more comfortable fit or use a different earmold than the ones you're using now.

As for your left hearing aid sounding softer than your right, I would also let your audi know that as well. It sounds like some adjustments need to be made in order for them to sound more balanced.

When you say your voice sounds weird, does it sound as if you're in a barrel? If so, you may need a vent put in your earmolds.

Hang in there! Wearing hearing aids do take some getting used to at first, but having them is well worth it once you have them adequately programmed and fitted.

Hope this helps! :)

And in all of my ranting - I forgot to add that my loss in my left is greater than my right, so that probably explains that part...grrr...it's so frustrating though.

I have pressure vents, I'm not sure how to describe it exactly what it sounds like, but it's really annoying. But what do you mean by a barrel?

I will try, & thanks so much for your help.
=)

Last edited:
Does your voice sound echoey or hollow? That's what I mean about it sounding as if it's in a barrel.

Perhaps your perception of your right hearing aid being louder than your left has to do with the fact that one ear is worse than the other. When I wore hearing aids, my left ear was also my poorer ear and always seemed to sound weaker in comparison to the right ear.

Glad I could help! :)

Does your voice sound echoey or hollow? That's what I mean about it sounding as if it's in a barrel.

Perhaps your perception of your right hearing aid being louder than your left has to do with the fact that one ear is worse than the other. When I wore hearing aids, my left ear was also my poorer ear and always seemed to sound weaker in comparison to the right ear.

Glad I could help! :)

Oh, yes then. It sounds echoey.

Ok I see what you mean.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Ok so I'm starting to see the brighter side, today at baseball practice I was able to hear the coach for the first time (in a very long time). Too bad I won't be able to wear my HA for the actual games.

Ok so I'm starting to see the brighter side, today at baseball practice I was able to hear the coach for the first time (in a very long time). Too bad I won't be able to wear my HA for the actual games.

That's great! :)

I'm just curious, why can't you wear your hearing aids during the actual games? When I wore hearing aids and played beep ball (baseball for the blind), I wore them without any problem.

Is the reason you can't wear them because of how uncomfortable they feel?

That's great! :)

I'm just curious, why can't you wear your hearing aids during the actual games? When I wore hearing aids and played beep ball (baseball for the blind), I wore them without any problem.

Is the reason you can't wear them because of how uncomfortable they feel?

Because I don't want to damage them by persperation or dirt/dust when I'm sliding.

Beep ball? Sounds awesome.

It may take 2 or 3 visits back to the audiologist to make adjustments. Also it just takes time to adjust in the first place. Between those two things it may take weeks to adjust and feel like you are obtaining the best benefit possible from them. Question: is this your first pair of HA's? Hear again is right about the molds; comfortably fitting molds make all the difference, so if you have discomfort or redened areas, don't hesitate to have audiologist fix that.
I do not wear mine when playing softball either, just not worth the risk of damaging them.

Because I don't want to damage them by persperation or dirt/dust when I'm sliding.

I didn't think about that, but it makes perfect sense. :)
As for beep ball, it's alot of fun! I haven't played it for over 10 years (due to severe-profound hearing loss), but now that I have CIs, I hope to start playing again soon.

yes i think you've got to go back to the Audi.It takes alot of tweaking to get them right.somedays they just dont sound right regardless.Do you have different programs? Ive got 4 so Ive got some different sounds going on for different hearing days.My hearing fluctuates.I notice my own voice sounds too loud if the mold is pushed all the way in.I like it backed out just a hair. Hope this helps you.

Beep ball? Never heard of it. How is it played?

It may take 2 or 3 visits back to the audiologist to make adjustments. Also it just takes time to adjust in the first place. Between those two things it may take weeks to adjust and feel like you are obtaining the best benefit possible from them. Question: is this your first pair of HA's? Hear again is right about the molds; comfortably fitting molds make all the difference, so if you have discomfort or redened areas, don't hesitate to have audiologist fix that.
I do not wear mine when playing softball either, just not worth the risk of damaging them.

I had an appt. today & she made some changes, & they are sort of better. I heard rain today, so that's a plus =). Yes they're my first pair.
Softball & baseball can be pretty intense I took a bat to the face 2 years ago & it hurtttttt, but yeah I don't want to risk damaging them either.
Thanks for the advice.

yes i think you've got to go back to the Audi.It takes alot of tweaking to get them right.somedays they just dont sound right regardless.Do you have different programs? Ive got 4 so Ive got some different sounds going on for different hearing days.My hearing fluctuates.I notice my own voice sounds too loud if the mold is pushed all the way in.I like it backed out just a hair. Hope this helps you.

I had an appt today =)
I have 2 programs so far. That's a good idea I'll try it.
Thanks for the tip.

Why can't you wear the HA during the game? I play softball in the catchers position with the mask and all and I wear my hearing aid all the time.

Oh, see I had to read down a little further :) There is little socks you can get from your Audi that cover the hearing aid and prevents them from getting dirty and cutting out from the sweat. For me when I am wearing the helmet, it prevents feedback and wind noise as well. It is a genius invention :)

Hearing Aid Sweat Sock: SoundBytes

Oh, see I had to read down a little further :) There is little socks you can get from your Audi that cover the hearing aid and prevents them from getting dirty and cutting out from the sweat. For me when I am wearing the helmet, it prevents feedback and wind noise as well. It is a genius invention :)

Hearing Aid Sweat Sock: SoundBytes

Cool, that's awesome...little socks for HAs
=) Thanks so much.

Back