Jury Duty...

I see, your truly an American! You served our country! Guess you can't say much at this time, and that is ok. Often judges would give jurors gag order and that is common.

To be brief, I'd do it again tomorrow morning!

I got summoned for jury duty in 2010 and requested the clerk to get an interpreter, but they waived me because of deafness, so I told them that I didn't want waived and they said it wasn't option.

I just **** at stupid county courthouse.

1459137_10151945643603189_1936791159_n.jpg

Not really legitimate reason to me. :roll:

It is your call, but it is frown to us.

They made it quite clear what I should do, and that's exactly what I did. I followed the instructions, and I have not had any issues, and FYI-- Illinois does have exceptions for certain issues, and I fell under that.

They made it quite clear what I should do, and that's exactly what I did. I followed the instructions, and I have not had any issues, and FYI-- Illinois does have exceptions for certain issues, and I fell under that.

It is still frown to us.

I rather not frown on it.

There are many legitimate reason for waiving from Jury duty, for instance maybe he was victim of a crime, maybe he has PTSD, maybe he has serious mental issues that may not be able to give a fair verdict, and so on. For me, I would have to request waiver, not just because of Deafness, it is because I can't sit for too long due to neck injury. But hopefully in future I may be able to sit and serve my country.

Perfect example, if a candidate for jury duty had traumatic accident caused by drunk driver years ago, and the defendant was accused for driving drunk, will that candidate be able to stay neutral? If that person can't, then the trial will end up mistrial.

The only thing I would frown upon is if one try to get waive just because of Deafness.

It is still frown to us.

There are many legitimate reason for waiving from Jury duty, for instance maybe he was victim of a crime, maybe he has PTSD, maybe he has serious mental issues that may not be able to give a fair trial, and so on. For me, I would have to request waiver, not just because of Deafness, it is because I can't sit for too long due to neck injury. But hopefully in future I may be able to sit and serve my country.

The only thing I would frown upon is if one try to get waive just because of Deafness.

Yes, I understand about your situation, but Mark, probably not.

I had seen some people made excuse, through.

How well do you know Mark?

He put a lot of information (TMI) about his medical on this forum, that lead to us to know about him very well.

I'm skeptical of him, but it is up to him.

Any of you have any idea how jury selection works?

First, anyone will be choose randomly though lottery, usually they would pick say 30 prospective jurors. All of them would go into conference room, sometimes straight into court room. I went both ways (I have been summoned few times). They will explain the nature of crime or what the case is all about, this will give prospective juror chance to think whether they can handle the case, and they must come up explanation why they can't take the case.

Then when a juror random selected to get on the jury box, DA and the Defendant attorney would ask juror their background, what they do for living, ask if juror know anyone in that room. If these questions went though, the last question they usually ask will be "Will you be able to provide fair and neutral verdict after hearing this case?" If yes, no explanation needed, but if no, then the explanation must be provided. The explanation will be either be accepted by DA, Defendant attorney or both, accept will result dismiss from the court room. But if neither of DA or Defendant attorney agreed, then that juror is selected for that trial, and so on until about 15 jurors (Depending on case) selected.

When the trial is over, and juror go down to room to have meeting, only 12 will go there not 15 or whatever.

To you it might be a lot information, but in reality you might know much less information about him than you realize.

He put a lot of information (TMI) about his medical on this forum, that lead to us to know about him very well.

I'm skeptical of him, but it is up to him.

There are many legitimate reason for waiving from Jury duty, for instance maybe he was victim of a crime, maybe he has PTSD, maybe he has serious mental issues that may not be able to give a fair verdict, and so on. For me, I would have to request waiver, not just because of Deafness, it is because I can't sit for too long due to neck injury. But hopefully in future I may be able to sit and serve my country.

Perfect example, if a candidate for jury duty had traumatic accident caused by drunk driver years ago, and the defendant was accused for driving drunk, will that candidate be able to stay neutral? If that person can't, then the trial will end up mistrial.

You know that many defense lawyers try to play the mentally ill card so often, I highly doubt I would be neutral. I have a mental illness, but that's not why I had one requested.

To you it might be a lot information, but in reality you might know much less information about him than you realize.

Very good. I am indeed keeping some stuff off this forum, because there's information best left unknown here.

I got summoned for jury duty in 2010 and requested the clerk to get an interpreter, but they waived me because of deafness, so I told them that I didn't want waived and they said it wasn't option.

I just **** at stupid county courthouse.

Wow!

Whatever it is, I hope you will have the courage to serve the country by just show up, and go though jury selection questionnaires, if they find you unfit to be jury, they won't have problem excuse you. That is how it works, but asking for excuse before actually go in court room and find out about the case is somewhat not acceptable. What if the case is something you can give fair trial and that opportunity would be forever lost. It is entirely up to you.

For example what if the defendant is actually Deaf, you don't know that person, but no Deaf juror willing to hear the case, how can Deaf defendant get fair trial? All hearing jurors which could easily oppressed that defendant, just because he/she is Deaf and may end up giving that defendant unfair trial. It is pretty much like… will the black female with ugly teeth, overweight, and so on accused of x number of charges get fair trial if all jurors are young white male, and is living on high salary, while the rest of prospective jurors finds way to get excused from serve the duty?

Diversity is key to fair trial.

You know that many defense lawyers try to play the mentally ill card so often, I highly doubt I would be neutral. I have a mental illness, but that's not why I had one requested.

I don't mind jury duty.

but you need to be neutral - no emotion.

Yeah that is why my sister was dismiss from being on jury duty she could had been too emotionally involved with the drowning case after losing a cousin that way.

Back