Job and Calling on TTY

I don't use sign language as my main communication. I'd be awkward. That's okay. I prefer to go in person. It works that way, and if they tell me to call..I call. It seems to work. If they don't like you, then I just move on to the next one. It may just be that the place is not meant to be if they cannot be comfortable with a deaf person or give them a chance.

Why not apply for free VP, get broadband and disconnect landline phone? If you got sidekick or any handheld, then why not use their voicemail, they come in as package. You could use them to fool many hearing people. It worked for me I get better response with VP, voicemails than TTY! Most hearies HATE TTY relay service, and find themselve along better with VRS!

I always use VRS to calling any hearing person even my doctor. VP is best to use..

Fuck to TTY and VP

Best to use is e-mail or text but need give to manager after applied for job and explain that can't use phone.

Fuck to TTY and VP

Best to use is e-mail or text but need give to manager after applied for job and explain that can't use phone.

I almost agree with you about e-mail is best! Because, I had in my experience:
I was not good to use with the TTY because it's not working at occassional,
it's ridiclous not too easy
to use with TTY. I prefer use e-mail. But, soon, probably I will use
Video Relay Service (VRS).
I will find a way for getting a VRS.

I know, you would think that employers should know about the ADA, but it's not. It's only there to protect us if we tell them about it should they discriminate. I wish interviewers learned more about the ADA through classes. Not just mention that there is an ADA law, but deeper details. It's important. If people don't want people with disability depending on their taxes for SSI, then they better give us a chance to work.

I agree. Even after getting hired to my previous jobs, there was still a form of discrimination among my hearing coworkers and bosses. I have mentioned a few examples in other threads but it got to the point when I just got tired of fighting to prove myself that I am just as smart and as capable as they are. I am speaking of opportunities for promotions or taking my ideas into consideration. It became so emotionally draining.

I don't use sign language as my main communication. I'd be awkward. That's okay. I prefer to go in person. It works that way, and if they tell me to call..I call. It seems to work. If they don't like you, then I just move on to the next one. It may just be that the place is not meant to be if they cannot be comfortable with a deaf person or give them a chance.

Yea...not worth working at a place where u will be looked down as someone less intelligent than they are.

I share the same feelings. I've spent a lot of time trying to develop workarounds. Unfortunately, I've found, the phone is such a core component of most working life that we're really stuck with it.

Gemtun and the others bring up great points.

I think the issue here is not that you're deaf, but rather, that the TTY and Relay are "strange" -- people don't understand them, people don't know what to do. This situation creates problems. People go, "Oh, yeah. Yeah. Yeah" and then they hang up.

The issue (sometimes) isn't the fact that you're deaf. Many times, I've found, people are friendly and understanding when they realize I'm deaf. The key is that they realize I'm deaf in a way that doesn't catch them off-guard (like a relay call).

Think about it this way: if you see a man in a wheelchair trying to get past a door, your first instinct might be to help him open the door. It's not a pity thing, it's a courtesy thing. This same thing applies to deafness. This same courtesy effect helped us get laws that protect us.

So, I find, the first and most important thing to always do is to make sure the other people realize you're a deaf person. Once they realize this, the courtesy effect makes the situation easier, and people start to become more comfortable with calling through Relay. It's like what Cheri and the others say: meet in person.

Though, if they're just giving you a hard time because you're deaf and not because they're confused, that's not good at all. But don't you ever give up. You have a lot to give to an employer who will recognize you as who you are. :)

When looking for jobs I always go in person and have them e-mail me, that way it makes things a whole alots easier, just tell them you do not own a phone and that e-mail acts like a phone for you because, obivously you are Deaf.

best thing you need to do
go to H.R. department find a job open list
if you see the job title under which company then you go ahead make a phone call for an appt to talk with this job relate find out if owner job open would ask your name/address
they would hired you faster! that how I did.

what I could do put my resume within
VP#
TDD/V#
Email

I get voice income call from H.R. request to show up to do finger print and paper work and fee the processing. I call 711 relay service to speak with H.R. the lady doesnt hand off on me and happy to hear me return call ask me come over do processing.
Until I get to H.R. she ask me " did you bring interpreter with you ?"
I say nope I didn't request
she ask can you understand me , can you read my lip
Yes I can understand you, yes I can lip read
do paperwork within 30min then shake hand and you are hired!
until you will hear from your boss when return to work first day

1 month later I get email from boss then I get in a job hired to do computer lab aide plus training one on one and include scan book and transf to text that simple but still good job easy on going. doesn't request use the phone at all just email most of the time however request able to talk!

they hired me because I have work experience.
don't block yourself in any job, if you have wear hearing aid and can talk just be honest who you are, doesn't mean deaf can't speak but can talk and can lipread that only work. upon what kind a job you are looking for.

Job would count your background skill and smart able to do many thing and more
if you don't have a skill one way cures get yourself return to college earn your studies and work experience same time apply work study as long as you get your AA or AS after then you might end up work in your school they would hired you with your ability skill what you went thru.

I wish your luck

Last edited:
I have done of calling for jobs over the years and have had been hung up. You can ask the relay person not to announce that you re deaf--if relay person says have to, then hang up and call up another relay person.

If you have hearing friends or family members, you can ask them to help make the calls for you or take messages from the employers. Ive done this and it was more successful. You can ask the hearing friend/family for their permission to use their phone numbers on job applications so they can take messages for you.

If you have VPS (videophone) then do same thing, ask the relay person not to announce that you are deaf, etc. VPS is much faster and more accurate communication than tty (I know many deafies not have great english skills).

Good luch :)
Still true in 2016!
also I have said I am using a tty or I am deaf. No chance to stay on the phone. I was transferred immediately so I have to call back. Best not to say I am deaf or using a special phone until you get to your designated person and hope they understand and let you call back if you explain to the person you are calling they may stay on the phone with you. The Help Desk will transfer you to a tty so you can't use yours.

I am having a sinking feeling of some hopelessness. I have never had to ask to ask for an interview on TTY. TTY sucks when calling about jobs! I am sick of stupid uneducated people. I called to ask about this job because I got a call, and I went in person instead. I am trying to call, so the customer service idiot told me she won't be in this week! WTF? I asked her if there was anyone else in charge of hiring. She said, NO NO NO NO NO, they will have to call in next week and hung up on me.

I hate relay calls, and I am asking here how do you guys deal with looking for a job and how do you handle it, if different from mine? Sometimes I try to follow up when they don't call. What do you do?

Sometimes people do not suspect that I am deaf, so they have no idea why I show up there really. I just tell them I got a call, but they just tell you they will call when they never do. I show up really to avoid TTY and being discriminated. :mad:
I have had the same issue regarding this , I was trying to find a job through naukri dot com and I applied them after reviewing few minutes later I got a mail from Hr asking me to provide my contact number ,suddenly I got confused wtf should I do? I asked to my friend about this in WhatsApp , My friend told me to tell them about your problem by sending email I wrote it like I have hearing loss & can't make calls on the phone I'd like to come interview if approved so I did it and it works lol Here's my proof it's been 3weeks ago Thank me later if it works for you :)

Attachments

• IMG_20161214_233323.jpg
    IMG_20161214_233323.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 7
I always wanted to try relay or try but my speech is fine and I would feel weird using it.

I use VRS with voice over... not too bad for me. My expressive signing is rather... rusty to put it mildly lol but receptive is better.

Now if I can get the stupid Z70 running....

Back