Jewish Outreach + Services At Gallaudet

iaskedalice09

Reaction score
Hello,

I am curious about Gallaudet's Jewish community and services. I am desperate to live a frum (religious) Jewish life and unfortunately Gallaudet's housing rules do not allow me to keep kosher easily without becoming vegetarian OR keep Shabbat/Yom Tov. I am wondering what sort of Orthodox Jewish outreach, if any, is available to students on campus? In addition, I know Aish HaTorah, an Orthodox Jewish outreach agency for college kids, has an office in DC. How close is this to Gallaudet?

Alternatively, I have thought of living in Baltimore and taking a train to DC for Gallaudet. Baltimore has a huge active Orthodox Jewish community, two Deaf Rabbis, and great mass transit. I have also thought about going to Ohio State, which has great outreach and a large number of Ortho students, or UC, which has good outreach as well. I don't really want to do any of these and would prefer to live in DC.

Any info would be awesome!

Hello,

I am curious about Gallaudet's Jewish community and services. I am desperate to live a frum (religious) Jewish life and unfortunately Gallaudet's housing rules do not allow me to keep kosher easily without becoming vegetarian OR keep Shabbat/Yom Tov. I am wondering what sort of Orthodox Jewish outreach, if any, is available to students on campus? In addition, I know Aish HaTorah, an Orthodox Jewish outreach agency for college kids, has an office in DC. How close is this to Gallaudet?

Alternatively, I have thought of living in Baltimore and taking a train to DC for Gallaudet. Baltimore has a huge active Orthodox Jewish community, two Deaf Rabbis, and great mass transit. I have also thought about going to Ohio State, which has great outreach and a large number of Ortho students, or UC, which has good outreach as well. I don't really want to do any of these and would prefer to live in DC.

Any info would be awesome!

Have you try talking the Deaf Rabbis in Baltimore to see if they can help , they should know where you can get the help you need or know who call.

Have you tried contacting the office of Campus Ministries directly? Perhaps they can answer your questions or guide you in this: Campus Ministries

B'Shalom, iaskedalice09,

Don't know if anything there would be useful for you but have you checked out Jewish Deaf Community Center < know it's in So. Cal but maybe you could find something useful on website -www.jdcc.org> and Jewish Deaf Congress? <www.jewishdeafcongress.org>

Hello,

I know several Deaf rabbis that I'll VP tomorrow. Thanks so much for your responses. I know several people who converted Orthodox at Gallaudet, and you HAVE to be observant during that time.

I will also see what Paula Tucker says about how to be frum on campus. I am not a fan of Conservative services although I have memorised both Orthodox and Conservative services so they are not hard to follow. Both communities are lovely and opening and to my knowledge Gallaudet is more Conservative than Orthodox. Dogmom, did you go to Gally + are you Jewish? If so, if you are also Orthodox Jewish (modern Orthodox is what I am but I also know a bit about Chareidim and Chasidim), please PM me about how you kept kosher/Shabbat/Yom Tov while at Gallaudet.

Thanks so much for all your help!

:wave: iaskedalice, nu Jewish yes, raised culturally secular. Bubbe <obm>from Kiev, came to U.S in 1920. Kept kosher and was Conservative for a short time after arriving in U.S. but did not continue. I have Jewish, Roma, Russian, German and possibly some Native heritage, but know very little about this as all my grandparents are dead. Currently member of Reform synagogue; I understand if that is not your style. Gally, no, went to liberal arts college in my area for Soc. and Spanish.

dogmom, I do not care about denomination. Personally I'm Orthodox in belief and practise (except for not keeping Shabbat...not yet...kosher though). I want Jews to stay Jewish culturally and realise what beautiful heritage they have. It is quite sad to me that many Jews do not know the beauty of our history, culture, and religion. Especially Deaf Jews. We have much to offer.

Are you near Columbus? Do you sign? I have several fabulous interpreters who sign Friday night services (Conservative) for me. It's paid for by the Columbus Jewish Federation. We'd love to have you join us.

I do sign I'm a student at OSD. Unfortunately not in C-bus right now won't be for abt three months. However I will be hopefully there over Shabbat through the year. Which Conservative shul offers terps? I have the service memorised so it's not really necessarybut for rabbi's sermons I need them.

I attended Purim Orthodox services with the assistance of a mother there who orally interpreted for me. My Hebrew is pretty good but speaking/lipreading is problematic (Hebrew not English). Ortho services I am OK at following however I don't daven aloud in any shuls. Conservative I am a pro I could even help terp with a hearie. :)

תודה וישר כוחך! -ת"ם

I do sign I'm a student at OSD. Unfortunately not in C-bus right now won't be for abt three months. However I will be hopefully there over Shabbat through the year. Which Conservative shul offers terps? I have the service memorised so it's not really necessarybut for rabbi's sermons I need them.

I attended Purim Orthodox services with the assistance of a mother there who orally interpreted for me. My Hebrew is pretty good but speaking/lipreading is problematic (Hebrew not English). Ortho services I am OK at following however I don't daven aloud in any shuls. Conservative I am a pro I could even help terp with a hearie. :)

תודה וישר כוחך! -ת"ם

I attend Tifereth Israel, but CJF offers funds for any shul in the area. I too have the service memorized, and use the terps for English readings and the sermon. I lipread one of the rabbis or a fellow congregant to follow the Hebrew prayers and songs. I "sing" along, but silently.

Back