It's About Time for a New Hearing Aid

So far - the Naida UP is sooooo awesome!! Here are my first impressions of this truly fabulous device:

The first mode programmed into my hearing aid is too quiet for me to be useful. But that's where the mundane disappointment stops...

Using sound recover:

1. I am able to hear things I haven't heard before:
a. I can hear the birds and distinguish between their sounds much clearer than I used to, and much farther away than before. There are a lot of birds and parrots where I work! I didn't hear much of them (if any) at all with my prior hearing aid.
b. I can better understand softer female voices. I haven't had to say what once to any of them thus far, or have had to ask ANYone to speak up actually.
c. I had no clue that our washer and dryer beeped when you turned the dials or hit the buttons.
d. I have better discrimination overall with the newer, higher frequency sounds.
e. Music sounds strange so I just switch to music mode and this has sound recover disabled and thus music sounds the way it used to and in many cases even better.

2. Music mode:
a. I can better distinguish between instruments. Mid range and lower instruments even come through loud and clear. Before with my previous two digital hearing aids I was only really able to hear the mid range and upper mid range stuff. The much lower stuff like some drums were lost.
b. On compilot, there is significantly great separation of instruments. I can tell better when the drum is playing, the actual specific flute (rather than a vague high pitched sound). Soft instruments sound soft rather than being "put together" all at once right there as in prior hearing aids - if this makes sense. This difference will take some getting used to.
c. I can tell vocal inflections with much better accuracy than before. For example, the little vocal inflection of a flutter of a note during a vocal musical moment would sound like a slightly longer hold of the note with prior hearing aids.

There is just one thing that kind of bugs me: there is a rattle during certain louder higher pitched sounds. It seems to be very pronounced when two separate voices are singing at the same time (such as if I am singing along in the car, for example...if you can call what I do singing...LOL)...anyway...

Does anyone know what would cause that? When I tried the Exelia it was very pronounced and we couldn't fix it and because of that it was a deal breaker and I had to return that hearing aid. I should not have any rattles in a brand NEW $2600+ instrument!! I really love what I am getting with this one and would much rather have this rattle fixed so I can continue enjoying it.

I should note: this rattle does not occur during the same sounds when I am using the ComPilot.

I've never heard of the rattle. I don't think I have had a problem with a rattle sound on my Naidas but I may just not be able to hear it?

Maybe ask for the Phonak rep to come if you Audi can't sort it out.

Might be worth looking at your settings for the ComPilot program's and seeing what's different?

I've never heard of the rattle. I don't think I have had a problem with a rattle sound on my Naidas but I may just not be able to hear it?

Maybe ask for the Phonak rep to come if you Audi can't sort it out.

Might be worth looking at your settings for the ComPilot program's and seeing what's different?

Yes! Thank you NaidaUP. I will have my audi go over the settings at our next follow up appointment. Also, I found someone else has had a similar issue with their Phonak aid:

Phonak Aid "Clicking"

Yes! Thank you NaidaUP. I will have my audi go over the settings at our next follow up appointment. Also, I found someone else has had a similar issue with their Phonak aid:

Phonak Aid "Clicking"

I would say its highly likely not to be a faulty hearing aid like the link said at the start. I would say it would be how the highs are set. Maybe play around with sound recover as well? Obs ask for a new hearing aid if the problem does carry on :)

Something I became aware of a while back.

Since changing the fitting forulma on my Naidas, I've never had to have any fine adjustments. The software has set it all and nothing has been changed.

Something I noticed when I looked at each individual program including the ComPilot program's as they are on my Naidas automatically even tho I don't own one, that the software will set each program differently, even tho its the same hearing loss.

It might mean that the highs are set differently on your ComPilot program's then the other program's and you prefer the ComPilot settings. There is a copy and paste button on the software to copy settings over from one program to another.

This would only be correct if you Audi hasn't done any fine adjustments as of yet and the software has set everything.

Something I became aware of a while back.

Since changing the fitting forulma on my Naidas, I've never had to have any fine adjustments. The software has set it all and nothing has been changed.

Something I noticed when I looked at each individual program including the ComPilot program's as they are on my Naidas automatically even tho I don't own one, that the software will set each program differently, even tho its the same hearing loss.

It might mean that the highs are set differently on your ComPilot program's then the other program's and you prefer the ComPilot settings. There is a copy and paste button on the software to copy settings over from one program to another.

This would only be correct if you Audi hasn't done any fine adjustments as of yet and the software has set everything.

He has actually done some fine adjustments. We took off all of the software limiters and have it set to acoustic phone. So far, I am getting some amazing results with these settings except for that rattling in the higher frequencies.

Is that because you don't have a music program with sound recover turned off? Music will sound better with a music program :)

I think it sounds weird because I usually listen to music without my hearing aids so it is basically just bass and awesomeness. With hearing aids I actually hear the complexities of the music (omg, this song has more than just drums and bass/mumbled vocals?). The music I love, I am used to loving when I'm in my natural, non-aided, state.

I do like music through the DAI leads. I really wish I was able to try out a compilot to see if I could get used to music with my Naidas.

He has actually done some fine adjustments. We took off all of the software limiters and have it set to acoustic phone. So far, I am getting some amazing results with these settings except for that rattling in the higher frequencies.

Check out the gain curve between the compilot settings and the phone settings as that's where the change will be. Gain curve will be on your hearing aids no matter what other things you switch off etc.

I think it sounds weird because I usually listen to music without my hearing aids so it is basically just bass and awesomeness. With hearing aids I actually hear the complexities of the music (omg, this song has more than just drums and bass/mumbled vocals?). The music I love, I am used to loving when I'm in my natural, non-aided, state.

I do like music through the DAI leads. I really wish I was able to try out a compilot to see if I could get used to music with my Naidas.

I've personally used the ComPilot, direct input leads and using my FM system for music and for me the direct input leads give the better sound for listening to things. I think its b/c the sound is not going over a signal as its plugged directly in to the hearing aids / shoes. I don't listen to actual music that much at all, hardly ever really but I do listen to music videos as I enjoy it more when watching them as well.

I can't work out how I read about so many people who are profoundly deaf but can listen to music without their hearing aids. I've tried it and can't hear anything what so ever, even with full volume. Makes no sense really on my part.

I've personally used the ComPilot, direct input leads and using my FM system for music and for me the direct input leads give the better sound for listening to things. I think its b/c the sound is not going over a signal as its plugged directly in to the hearing aids / shoes. I don't listen to actual music that much at all, hardly ever really but I do listen to music videos as I enjoy it more when watching them as well.

I can't work out how I read about so many people who are profoundly deaf but can listen to music without their hearing aids. I've tried it and can't hear anything what so ever, even with full volume. Makes no sense really on my part.

Without my hearing aids...I'm usually in my car listening to the stereo at a volume so loud that my husband knew which song I was listening to from 100m away. It didn't seem that loud to me...

Well - I'm back with an update!

We ended up finally fixing the "rattling". It was being caused by the feedback canceller. Now the Naida Q50 is awesome and quite possibly the best digital hearing aid I have had yet.

I have been thoroughly enjoying the wireless feature. This is the first time I have had such a feature in any hearing aid and it is sooooo nice not to have to wear headphones to listen to music. I can also watch my TV or listen to music for hours again and not get fatigued due to the headphones pushing my earmold in, in, in...

Anyway...I think I am keeping this one!! :cool2:

That's good for you.

I've been very impressed with my Naida S V UPs and could rank it as the best hearing aids.

How do you find hearing the high frequencies now?

Back