It's A Parents Decision

Nope not surprised and nope it doesnt bother me. Only thing that bothers me is that there was no acknowledgment of those who are suffering due to being forced to be "hearing".

I dont have passion for happy well-adjusted oral deaf people. Only for the many deaf children who are suffering emotionally and academically due to this belief.

Oh I get it! If one says something positive about an oral deaf child then one is at fault unless one acknowledges something negative about oralism. However, it is fine for you not to care about well adjusted oral deaf children because you only care about those oral deaf children who are not well adjusted. Yet you never answer the question about those deaf children who could benefit from oral speech and language therapy but are being denied it because of their parents' beliefs. Don't they rate your concern as well? You must know these children in your Deaf Community, what are you doing to raise their parents' awareness of the benefits of oral speech and language therapy?

rick48
:topic:
Your signature;
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

I love it! hahaha

What if that child is sad because he/she never know what it's like to raise as his/her nature born deaf life?

Not quite sure what you mean by a "nature born deaf life" but I feel said too for those children. I think it is important for deaf children to meet and know other deaf children and adults. I think it is important for deaf children to be raised in a home environment that teaches them that they are deaf and that they be given the opportunity to be all that they can be.
Rick

Not quite sure what you mean by a "nature born deaf life" but I feel said too for those children. I think it is important for deaf children to meet and know other deaf children and adults. I think it is important for deaf children to be raised in a home environment that teaches them that they are deaf and that they be given the opportunity to be all that they can be.
Rick

What I mean by "nature born deaf life" is... Ok, I born very profound deaf, and I raise with no sounds, in the silence world. I raise with whole visual, communication through the visual. I sign as my communication. That is Natural Deaf Life.

Yeah it's very important for the deaf children to know about the Deaf Culture.

The CI is a surgery option, not a communication option. If you want to find a cheaper way, just let the children to go to deaf school and stay there, let that children be happy what he/she is. You absolute don't have to learn sign, you can just write to your children! Simple. Or maybe you can make a home sign language. That is the cheapest way instead trying to rip government off, or wasting lot of money on the CI.

Also the CI do not help me to learn how to talk. It only help me to understand the sounds, but for my talking, no, not really. I only can talk very slowly, at very simple words.

Out of interest, how old were you when you received your CI?

Also, what you said about it being cheaper to send the child to a deaf school is not true. Believe it or not, it's cheaper for the government to pay for a child to get a CI than to pay for a child to be raised in deaf schools etc.

Also, many of the parents who have implanted their children on this forum sign to their children as well as speak.

Out of interest, how old were you when you received your CI?

18, Very properly way. My parents refuse to force me to have the CI till I made up my decision. My parents respect what I am. I love my parents and I gave much thanks to my parents.

Also, what you said about it being cheaper to send the child to a deaf school is not true. Believe it or not, it's cheaper for the government to pay for a child to get a CI than to pay for a child to be raised in deaf schools etc.

Not governments, I mean it's cheaper for parents to do that. It's actually better for parents and the children's right/health's sake.

Also, many of the parents who have implanted their children on this forum sign to their children as well as speak.

Well, so I am not welcome to expressed my opinion? THIS is Deaf's Forum, if they don't want be around Deaf people who are against CI, then they can just go to specificially CI supporter forum somewhere else. As far as they know there is some Deafies are against the CI here. It's not my fault.

18, Very properly way. My parents refuse to force me to have the CI till I made up my decision. My parents respect what I am. I love my parents and I gave much thanks to my parents.

Okay that explains it when you say that you get limited benefit from it. Were you completely deaf until that point? No hearing aids?

Not governments, I mean it's cheaper for parents to do that. It's actually better for parents and the children's right/health's sake.

I'm not sure what works out cheaper in the long run but I don't think most loving parents care about the money when it comes to their own children.

Well, so I am not welcome to expressed my opinion? THIS is Deaf's Forum, if they don't want be around Deaf people who are against CI, then they can just go to specificially CI supporter forum somewhere else. As far as they know there is some Deafies are against the CI here. It's not my fault.

Eh? I didn't say you were not welcome to express your opinion. I respect your opinion and if you have deaf children, you will raise them as you see fit but it's not a viewpoint I share myself also as a deaf person.

Okay that explains it when you say that you get limited benefit from it. Were you completely deaf until that point? No hearing aids?

I was used to wear the hearing aids from the age of 5, been taking the speech therpay till at 12, and quit hearing aids too as due of it cause me having headaches and feel wozy around my body, and also watery eyes. I can't understand anything what I hear from the hearing aids, and I would considered that CI help me to hear better than the hearing aids, but it cause me to feel the same as I felt with hearing aids, I kept trying to get it reduce the loud down and down as much as I can, but I still feel those things, I only wear it sometimes, like for movie theater, music, or whatever I am mood into.

I'm not sure what works out cheaper in the long run but I don't think most loving parents care about the money when it comes to their own children.

I am out of the arguement about the money.

Eh? I didn't say you were not welcome to express your opinion. I respect your opinion and if you have deaf children, you will raise them as you see fit but it's not a viewpoint I share myself also as a deaf person.

Well, just remember, I am NOT a anti-CI. I am just against when parents are forcing on children to have the CI surgery. I support for the children's decision, that's all. I don't mind if the children to have the CI surgery if they want it, and have the parent's approve. If that is what children want, good for them! They have the opporiunity.

But, I don't like the picture when parents force on children to have the surgery just for them to able to communicate with the children.

Well, just remember, I am NOT a anti-CI. I am just against when parents are forcing on children to have the CI surgery. I support for the children's decision, that's all. I don't mind if the children to have the CI surgery if they want it, and have the parent's approve. If that is what children want, good for them! They have the opporiunity.

But, I don't like the picture when parents force on children to have the surgery just for them to able to communicate with the children.

*A*M*E*N*

I debated at many CI threads in the past... All what I was being label as anti-CI... They cannot see that I support child's choice.

*A*M*E*N*

I debated at many CI threads in the past... All what I was being label as anti-CI... They cannot see that I support child's choice.

From your posts, you had great difficulty understanding the proven fact that that people get better results with CIs if they are implanted as children, when their brains are developing fastest. If someone waits until they are an adult, it's much much harder to benefit from a CI and we can see this from PuyoPiyo's experience, even though he has no regrets.

No one had any issue with your beliefs about waiting until the child was old enough to decide. I don't mind people having an opinion like that as long as they acknowledge what effect is has on a deaf adult's choices in practice.

I was used to wear the hearing aids from the age of 5, been taking the speech therpay till at 12, and quit hearing aids too as due of it cause me having headaches and feel wozy around my body, and also watery eyes. I can't understand anything what I hear from the hearing aids, and I would considered that CI help me to hear better than the hearing aids, but it cause me to feel the same as I felt with hearing aids, I kept trying to get it reduce the loud down and down as much as I can, but I still feel those things, I only wear it sometimes, like for movie theater, music, or whatever I am mood into.

OK no worries - I'm not saying you are anti-CI.

I'm not surprised that you didn't find the CI any better than your hearing aids. I guess that because you didn't have any sound in the first 5 years of your life your brain didn't know what to do with the sounds when you started to hear. My friend had exactly the same experience as you and he stopped wearing his CI after a year.

OK no worries - I'm not saying you are anti-CI.

I'm not surprised that you didn't find the CI any better than your hearing aids. I guess that because you didn't have any sound in the first 5 years of your life your brain didn't know what to do with the sounds when you started to hear. My friend had exactly the same experience as you and he stopped wearing his CI after a year.

I did say that my CI help me to hear better than the hearing aids, I am only saying how pain hearing aids and CI cause on me are stopping me from wearing them.

From your posts, you had great difficulty understanding the proven fact that that people get better results with CIs if they are implanted as children, when their brains are developing fastest. If someone waits until they are an adult, it's much much harder to benefit from a CI and we can see this from PuyoPiyo's experience, even though he has no regrets.

No one had any issue with your beliefs about waiting until the child was old enough to decide. I don't mind people having an opinion like that as long as they acknowledge what effect is has on a deaf adult's choices in practice.

Do you want to belittle me over my knowledge about CI on children in real life and what I withness in real life? Did you know what respect is about? If the parent decides to support their child's choice then is their decision and if the parent decides to implant their child then is their decision as well. What I think about CI is my own opinion from collect/exchange many experiences from CI users and the parents of CI children. Got it?

See yourself what you said this to me, that's why I do not involve at many CI threads anymore...

Do you want to belittle me over my knowledge about CI on children in real life and what I withness in real life? Did you know what respect is about? If the parent decides to support their child's choice then is their decision and if the parent decides to implant their child then is their decision as well. What I think about CI is my own opinion from collect/exchange many experiences from CI users and the parents of CI children. Got it?

See yourself what you said this to me, that's why I do not involve at many CI threads anymore...

I'm sorry if you felt offended or belittled. It was my observation from having exchanges with you in the past with this subject.

Oh I get it! If one says something positive about an oral deaf child then one is at fault unless one acknowledges something negative about oralism. However, it is fine for you not to care about well adjusted oral deaf children because you only care about those oral deaf children who are not well adjusted. Yet you never answer the question about those deaf children who could benefit from oral speech and language therapy but are being denied it because of their parents' beliefs. Don't they rate your concern as well? You must know these children in your Deaf Community, what are you doing to raise their parents' awareness of the benefits of oral speech and language therapy?

How many times in so many threads that I am all for exposing the child to both? Pls provide me a link where I said no deaf child should get speech therapy. All I ask is that the deaf children be exposed to sign language and the Deaf community..that's all.

What I said about hapy and well adjusted oral deaf children doesn't mean I don't care about them. Maybe it came out harsher but I was frustrated last night. What I mean is that if they r happy and well adjusted then great. What more can I do for them if everything is working out great for them? No need to change anything as long as they r doing good socially/emotionally/academically. That's what I mean that I don't have a passion for them cuz what is there to fight for if they r fine? Right? It is those that suffer and lost a lot only because people didn't really ensure that they were exposed to both. That's what angers me and what I have the passion about in my career.

Only thing I hope is that those who r orally deaf and doing fine is have some awareness that there is a signing community out there and give them the opportunities to participate and then decide whether to be involved or not. Even if they r happy and well adjusted in the hearing world, it doesn't hurt to also expose them to the signing community. If the parents say there is no need to then that's sad cuz there r many deaf children who can't speak nor lipread due to not succeedin with speech therapy and they have a limited number of people to meet and interact too. Wud be nice if schools for the deaf children can make friends with mainstreamed children. I think it is ridiculous to keep them away from each other cuz of communication barriers. Iam trying to get the deaf school students to meet more deaf children outside of their schools but it is hard cuz so many children look down on sign language and them just like I did when I was growing up orally.

Back