Is WiFi USB compatible with Dell Precision desktop?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a used rehab desk top computer that I would like to make wifi usable without a lot of expense.

It is a Dell Precision 690, originally used as one of the many servers in an industrial business. It now has Windows XP in it.

I'm preparing it to give to someone.

It's about the size of a small refrigerator (and as heavy). :lol:

Any recommendations for WiFi?

I have a used rehab desk top computer that I would like to make wifi usable without a lot of expense.

It is a Dell Precision 690, originally used as one of the many servers in an industrial business. It now has Windows XP in it.

That will work providing you have the disc and of course that disc has the XP drivers on it.

I recommend PCI over USB for long life.

EDIMAX EW-7128Gn PCI Wireless Adapter for PC and Mac - Newegg.com

I installed few of them for business and no problem with them for over 3 years. I heard few of my friends complained about USB because it's last around 2-4 months then die.

Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, Linux and Mac OS Ready.

I recommend PCI over USB for long life.

EDIMAX EW-7128Gn PCI Wireless Adapter for PC and Mac - Newegg.com

I installed few of them for business and no problem with them for over 3 years. I heard few of my friends complained about USB because it's last around 2-4 months then die.

Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, Linux and Mac OS Ready.
I read the reviews; they seem to be at both extremes. Either people love it or hate it. However, the average rating seems positive. I might go with this option. I have to find out what the new owner prefers--either wifi or just go ahead and wire it to the router. But this gives me an option I can present to them.

:ty:

It should work as long the USB Wifi comes with an XP driver. The disc would be with the USB wifi not the computer. So if you buy a usb wifi then it should include a disc with the XP driver on it/

If it missing a disc then visit the usb wifi manfacture website and see if they offer a XP driver to download.

It should work as long the USB Wifi comes with an XP driver. The disc would be with the USB wifi not the computer. So if you buy a usb wifi then it should include a disc with the XP driver on it/

If it missing a disc then visit the usb wifi manfacture website and see if they offer a XP driver to download.
Oh, I see now. :giggle:

No, I don't have the XP disc.

You can burn a replacement disc by downloading the .iso for it from a torrent, I'm assuming you have the sticker with the key on the computer somewhere, so its not pirating if you use a homemade boot disc with a genuine and valid key.

I also agree, go with PCI, USB from my experience never lasts and gives very poor performance.

You can burn a replacement disc by downloading the .iso for it from a torrent, I'm assuming you have the sticker with the key on the computer somewhere, so its not pirating if you use a homemade boot disc with a genuine and valid key.

I also agree, go with PCI, USB from my experience never lasts and gives very poor performance.
I'd rather not use torrent but thanks. :)

This is one of the dozens of computers that were donated to my college by a company that no longer needs them. At the college workshop, each student wiped the HD clean with DBAN then reloaded with shared Dell Windows XP Professional disc provided by the school.

I'd rather not use torrent but thanks. :)

This is one of the dozens of computers that were donated to my college by a company that no longer needs them. At the college workshop, each student wiped the HD clean with DBAN then reloaded with shared Dell Windows XP Professional disc provided by the school.

I forget the model I put in my parent's computer, but I think TP-Link makes it, but I'd have to check to be certain. Try newegg for PCI adaptors, they run fairly cheap, just read some reviews.

I forget the model I put in my parent's computer, but I think TP-Link makes it, but I'd have to check to be certain. Try newegg for PCI adaptors, they run fairly cheap, just read some reviews.
Yes, I like newegg, and I always read the reviews.

Yes, I agree, I download the Windows OS from torrent and I do have genuine, legit license for Windows OS.

You can get free Windows license from college if they offer it.

I read the reviews; they seem to be at both extremes. Either people love it or hate it. However, the average rating seems positive. I might go with this option. I have to find out what the new owner prefers--either wifi or just go ahead and wire it to the router. But this gives me an option I can present to them.

:ty:

There is no perfect. Maybe they were too picky or "dumb"

Odd, One customer said "Cons: The product is a complete orphan. It is not listed anywhere on the vendor's web site as either a current or end-of-life product. There are no downloads and no apparent support." from newegg.com

And I just type edimax via google then type EW-7128g via edimax website product search and found it under 8 seconds. It was not that hard to find.

Edimax EW-7128g - 802.11g Wireless LAN PC Card IEEE 802.11g/b, WPA Compliant (End-of-Life Product)

I don't recommend to use any hardwares (video card, PCI, motherboard, etc) driver from the cd due outdated. I always download latest version of driver from the internet.

Back