Is this wrong

Yes and no... You probably wasn't even born yet... Real advancement approved by the FDA in 1984, not 87, yes, but they were doing it long before that. I remember sitting in the doctors office with my parents back in the early 70's. It was in it's early stages and the doctor wanted me to get a head start in it. He was one of the few that was qualified to do the surgery AND he was a family friend, not just a doctor. I was best friends with his daughter in school.

History of Cochlear Implants
In 1972, a speech processor was developed to interface with the House 3M single-electrode implant and was the first to be commercially marketed. More than 1,000 of these devices were implanted between 1972 to the mid 1980s. In 1980, the age criteria for use of this device was lowered from 18 to 2 years. ). During the 1980’s, several hundred children had been implanted with the House 3M single channel device. The FDA formally approved the marketing of the 3M/ House cochlear implant in November 1984. By the late eighties, virtually all of the major concerns about the long-term success and safety of cochlear implants were largely resolved.

That's interesting, I know several people who had it done as children in the late eighties, but never have met anyone from earlier.

That's interesting, I know several people who had it done as children in the late eighties, but never have met anyone from earlier.
That is understandable :)

More than 1,000 of these devices were implanted between 1972 to the mid 1980s.
For all of USA is extremely small. I would have been one of the early ones. Glad it didn't happen.

What's politics got to do with it???

Playing politics would be sending your child to school without the aid when it is required. As I said, I wouldn't go that route.

Everyone, on every side of this issue, wants to do what is best for the child. How effective each argument would be remains to be seen.

I disagree again. It can and will make or break it for her at school.

You have to do what is best for your kid to be successful at school. To start with, some don't like to go to school... do you keep them home? No you don't. If they need glasses to read, you get them glasses. If not hearing classmates or teachers is holding them back, you get them a HA.

Had my parents did what I wanted, not to wear HA at school, I wouldn't have achieved some of the things I did in life, such as managing Golds Gym for 8 years, then owning my own fitness Center for 8 more years. It help prepare me to work with the hearing public. I THANK my parents for that!

If you want your kid to stay in their own little world and not get ahead in life, then go ahead and do whatever they wish...

If the child goes to a deaf school where the instruction is entirely (or primarily) in sign (she does), not having a hearing aid is not going to break her education. This is from someone majoring in deaf ed with a year of in-classroom experience. Yeah, at school, if they're requiring her to do it or HAs/speech or what-have-you are in her IEP, she should, but outside of that, not having an HA is really not something that will ruin your life. If my students' parents send (working) HAs or it's in their IEP or school policy that they must wear them if they have them, I'll obviously try to put/keep them in, and I could advise a parent to do so at home (or send them with the student if I know the student has one and it's not coming to school), but forcing it isn't always best. (For instance, my brother didn't wear glasses after school for many years growing up, and my mom allowed this because she didn't have the money to go paying for them every time they got smashed or dropped down a drain pipe. He wears them all the time now but often didn't growing up.)

Also, if a student doesn't like going to school, you may want to figure out why (I missed a chunk of my HS sophomore year (eight or so days, total) faking sick to get away from horrible bullies, for instance (and I love school!)), but willingly letting your child miss huge chunks of school with no valid excuse is truancy, which is illegal, whereas letting your kid go without HAs isn't inherently any sort of offense. There are tons of deaf kids and adults who didn't wear HAs in the school I was at last year (there are far more kids with HAs/CIs (about half) in the younger grades, though).

Note that I'm not saying kids should never wear HAs if that's how they roll; just that if it's not required/especially beneficial over other available methods (such as sign or visual/tactile signaling), especially at home, the kid should be allowed a bit more freedom. If the school is requiring it, it should be treated with the same respect as any other school rule while in the school environment.

Not having your child wear HA in school WILL have a long time effect whether they're in Deaf school or not. Someday, they will have to get out in the hearing world and cope and they won't if they don't wear a HA early on. You teach your baby to use the potty instead of using diapers... You teach your child to brush their teeth, comb their hair, eat properly to a degree, go to bed at certain times, clean their rooms to a degree, watch their manners etc. HA & Glasses are just as important IF not more important. ;)

Let me ask you this: If your child was going blind, would you have them wear glasses so they can see?

Same thing with HA. So no, your not doing your child a favor by not having them wear hearing aids.

Not having your child wear HA in school WILL have a long time effect whether they're in Deaf school or not. Someday, they will have to get out in the hearing world and cope and they won't if they don't wear a HA early on. You teach your baby to use the potty instead of using diapers... You teach your child to brush their teeth, comb their hair, eat properly to a degree, go to bed at certain times, clean their rooms to a degree, watch their manners etc. HA & Glasses are just as important IF not more important. ;)

Let me ask you this: If your child was going blind, would you have them wear glasses so they can see?

Same thing with HA. So no, your not doing your child a favor by not having them wear hearing aids.

It depends on whether or not there is a net benefit to having a kid wear something. You have to weigh pros AND cons. Like the thing I mentioned with my brother and glasses. There were more cons to having him wear them than they benefited him outside of school. There are deaf people who receive no benefit from HAs who interact with the hearing world all the time, just as there are totally blind people who live and work in a sighted world (I've had at least two as teachers).

Yeah, there are cons to not wearing HAs but there can be cons to wearing them sometimes, too (these cons are often temporary, like the situation with my brother and his glasses (kid can't be trusted with them and cannot be intensely watched like a hawk, kid finds them uncomfortable, even when programmed or molded to perfection, or inexplicably doesn't want to wear them, and there's a time of day where you can give them a break, etc.)). Whereas there can be benefits to both, too, like that practicing hearing thing and all the other stuff I learned in the speech for the deaf classes I took (intolerant as they were, I did learn things there), or on the flip side, allowing a kid to have some rest (as a sensory sensitive hearing person, though sound can be cool sometimes, it can also make me horribly overstimulated and I wish I could turn my ears off sometimes).

I never said not having a kid wear HAs is doing them a favor, I simply said that allowing a kid to go without for a portion of the day, particularly when they are six and possibly going through a phase, is not going to ruin their life. In a way, it's like letting a toddler walk around without pants (because they don't want to wear them) while in the comfort of their home. Yes, it's important to teach them the importance of wearing pants, and wearing pants can be very important down the line, but a break now and then isn't terribly hurtful.

This is an bit of an aside (and in no way says that you shouldn't teach a kid this skill), but I'm 21 and still can't clean a room without help (whether a list of steps or human help).:lol: Executive function issues do stuff to you, even when you try your hardest.:fruit:

I never said not having a kid wear HAs is doing them a favor, I simply said that allowing a kid to go without for a portion of the day, particularly when they are six and possibly going through a phase, is not going to ruin their life. In a way, it's like letting a toddler walk around without pants (because they don't want to wear them) while in the comfort of their home. Yes, it's important to teach them the importance of wearing pants, and wearing pants can be very important down the line, but a break now and then isn't terribly hurtful.
Makes plenty of sense. I must have read your post too fast. I agree 100%

I just stumbled onto this thread.

Are there any updates to this issue? May I ask which MSD this is at? If it's the one I am thinking about; it's unfathomable that they're doing that. The other, not so surprising.

To answer the question, yes it is wrong. You should be able to express your desires to the teachers. If that does not work, go up the ranks.

Back