Is there a free online SEE dictionary?

SimplyMints

Reaction score
I'm learning ASL, but I'm afraid my family will be daunted with the idea of learning another language. I want to communicate with my family, so I want to provide them with an alternative that they will think is easier for them. A free online dictionary would be ideal. Don't get me wrong! ASL is absolutely ideal if everybody I know and love would learn it! I love the way you can describe things without trying to find the vocabulary, and it's so much faster than English, but the fact is, most of my family won't learn ASL. Some might learn SEE if I make it free and easy for them.

Unfortunately there is not a good SEE dictionary online at this time. However, we are working on one! I would really encourage you to get some SEE dictionaries. I can tell you from experience, yes, it is easier for family members to learn to sign english. My whole family signs and they would have never learned ASL. No matter how you feel about SEE personally, the ability to communicate with family is priceless!

umm.. the easiest way to Learn SEE is to learn the signs as they are made in ASL, but use them in proper english order.

(I've used SEE for years)

I guess I anticipated there would be none, so I looked for some dictionaries I could buy, and picked one out that I can give to my parents. When I got your reply, I decided to order it. It wasn't too expensive, but I hope I made a good choice.

This is for my parents. I figured I'd just use the signs I already know from ASL, but my parents don't know any sign.

I'm sort of hoping they will slip into ASL one day (or at least PSE), but being able to communicate is all the hope I need to make my day
4.gif

umm.. the easiest way to Learn SEE is to learn the signs as they are made in ASL, but use them in proper english order.

(I've used SEE for years)

Actually if you are just using ASL signs in english order that is not SEE. Just trying to clarify not cause an argument. :) that would be more like transliterating or even PSE/contact sign or Conceptually Accurate Signed English (CASE). SEE has very specific signs, and although many are the same as ASL signs the use of them is different and more specific.

Cheers,

I have a similar problem. I grew up using SEE. It is EXTREMELY hard for me to let go of my old SEE habits, as some people will testify to that. I am now in ASL 2 in college and having trouble passing this course as the instructor is strict (very strict) ASL.

Deaf culture is phasing out SEE. If you SEE strictly for family communications, then by all means, go ahead. However, if you wish to communicate with other deaf people, I would strong advise you to learn ASL.

Anyone disagree? Agree?

I'm still learning ASL, but now I'm starting to learn SEE since my mom has finally agreed to learn to sign on that condition. You're right, many signs are different, not just the word order and such, so I hope that doesn't cause some confusion. I may accidentally use ASL signs to her, and maybe she'll learn them from me :giggle:

I think I can affectively communicate with ASL, though certain grouchy "ASL only" people may not be happy with my efforts. My family comes first, but if my friends didn't matter a great deal, I wouldn't bother with formal ASL education, because I can already understand it, and they can already understand me. I just want everybody to be comfortable. I've observed some rather harsh arguments over various forms of sign on YouTube, and I don't wanna become the subject of one, but if it didn't matter to my friends, I wouldn't care.

I have a similar problem. I grew up using SEE. It is EXTREMELY hard for me to let go of my old SEE habits, as some people will testify to that. I am now in ASL 2 in college and having trouble passing this course as the instructor is strict (very strict) ASL.

Deaf culture is phasing out SEE. If you SEE strictly for family communications, then by all means, go ahead. However, if you wish to communicate with other deaf people, I would strong advise you to learn ASL.

Anyone disagree? Agree?

well since you asked, I guess I will bare all... I am hearing. I am certified in SEE and have a degree in ASL. I also have a deaf daughter.

My daughter signs SEE. And actually I see SEE on the increase in many parts of the country. Again, remember the reasons for SEE, to facilitate communication with English speaking family members and to increase facility with written English. I do see that this works. My daughter reads and writes better than some of her hearing peers at school. My entire extended family signs with her because they were able to make sense of the SEE.

SEE was never meant to replace ASL. My daughter hangs out with deaf friends and uses ASL or PSE. She is totally comfortable with those modes and we support her in using them. I have adult deaf friends who grew using SEE and now are much more ASL/PSE, but there are still times when information is critical and they do prefer to go back to more SEE to be sure they are getting all the information (for instance one is in a technical field and at technical meetings prefers more SEE like interpreting).

I would actually say i see more changes in the ASL used everyday by the deaf community. I think it has to do with all the captioning, using email and texting.. I see more and more English all the time. I sometimes go to an assignment and have a Deaf client tell me they are true ASL, but once they start signing I am amazed at the English that has crept in. :)

I will get off my soapbox now... and for the record, I support whatever communication system works for the deaf/Deaf person and the families involved.

Peace all,

:)_

Last edited:
Back