Is it normal?

tonicmomof3

Reaction score
We recently got confirmation that my almost 11 month old daughter has hearing loss. She had failed three OAE's when she was born and had a normal ABR at 4 months old, but things just didn't seem right so I scheduled a retest. We had gone in Friday and done the testing in the soundproof room up to 90 decibles and had no response from her whatsoever, and her Tympanometry was also abnormal.

We are scheduled to have a sedated ABR next week, and are also meeting with a pediatric ENT.

My question (I guess I should say questions) is for a HOH/deaf child, is it normal to get frustrated with not being able to communicate, even at this young age? Just recently, she's started banging her head against things when she doesn't get her way. I'm just not sure if it's frustration because we can't understand what she's trying to get through to us, or she's just throwing a normal tantrum for a child her age. Our family (myself, hubby, and two older brothers) are going to be learning ASL along with whatever else she may need, but of course at this point she could care less with what we try to sign to her.

Also, what do we have to look forward to in the near future? Needless to say I'm a little overwhelmed and terrified right now.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Yes - absolutely it's normal to be frustrated not being able to communicate (it's a main reason babies and toddlers cry!).

Deaf (ASL) babies are able to start communicating at 4-6months - things like asking for milk, more, diaper, play, hungry, sleepy etc are all things they'd be able to clearly express.

I'd suggest starting to use at least a few ASL signs even before you get set up with ASL instruction (which hopefully is very very soon).

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Yes - absolutely it's normal to be frustrated not being able to communicate (it's a main reason babies and toddlers cry!).

Deaf (ASL) babies are able to start communicating at 4-6months - things like asking for milk, more, diaper, play, hungry, sleepy etc are all things they'd be able to clearly express.

I'd suggest starting to use at least a few ASL signs even before you get set up with ASL instruction (which hopefully is very very soon).

I agree with Anij about starting to use at least the basic signs now. You may feel that she doesn't respond to it yet, but she will. It takes time for her to learn and understand the signs, and even at 11 months she knows what she wants. :)

I'd continue signing with and around her at every opportunity, even of you're using your voice at the same time. That will help her internalize the meaning of the sign/word, and soon enough she will start signing back to you.

It will likely take a few months of consistent use of sign before she will be able to reproduce the sign, but it will come. Look for her giving you a sign approximation. It most likely won't be the exact sign, but something similar which is what you want at that age. As she gets older, she'll be able to produce the sign correctly. (I should add though, that an approximation at that age is 'correct' just usually not the exact sign).

Continue educating yourself, and signing with your child and everything will be okay. I understand the fear, but that comes from the unknown. The more you learn about your daughter's needs, the more comfortable and confident you'll become which will transfer to her.

Just know, that it will all be okay and with proactive supportive parents, your child will be successful- just like any other child.

We recently got confirmation that my almost 11 month old daughter has hearing loss. She had failed three OAE's when she was born and had a normal ABR at 4 months old, but things just didn't seem right so I scheduled a retest. We had gone in Friday and done the testing in the soundproof room up to 90 decibles and had no response from her whatsoever, and her Tympanometry was also abnormal.

We are scheduled to have a sedated ABR next week, and are also meeting with a pediatric ENT.

My question (I guess I should say questions) is for a HOH/deaf child, is it normal to get frustrated with not being able to communicate, even at this young age? Just recently, she's started banging her head against things when she doesn't get her way. I'm just not sure if it's frustration because we can't understand what she's trying to get through to us, or she's just throwing a normal tantrum for a child her age. Our family (myself, hubby, and two older brothers) are going to be learning ASL along with whatever else she may need, but of course at this point she could care less with what we try to sign to her.

Also, what do we have to look forward to in the near future? Needless to say I'm a little overwhelmed and terrified right now.

I think it may be a combo of normal frustration and not being able to communicate quite yet.......and that's exactly why ASL will REALLY help her.... she'll have Sign so she won't have the frustration that she would, if she's only limited to spoken language.......

I can remember being funstrated for long time while i was young, once I was able to communicate, it improved.

Back