Is Deaf Culture really ALL THAT?

Heart2Sign said:
Well it goes based on how extreme you are.
I think Heart2Sign hit the nail on the head! Extremes in any direction are counter-productive.

rockdrummer said:
The onion might be a joke paper but the content of that article is quite real. I don't agree that the CI will make sign obsolete. Remember that the CI does not work for everyone and even those that it works for have mixed results. Sign is here to stay. The profoundly deaf, I believe, will always need to sign. Lip reading and oralism must be very difficult skills to aquire and I would imagine take years and years to master for the profoundly deaf. As a hearing individual, I have never been shunned by the deaf community. In fact, I find it to be quite the opposite. There is obviously a gap and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why that is....Communication. There is a communication gap. In my opinion, if the hearing world knew how to sign deafies would not feel so alienated.
This is like guns. Guns don't kill people, people do. Therefore, we can't say CIs will make ASL obsolete... people will make ASL obsolete. ;)

I think that "Deaf Pride" and "Deaf Culture" is something that deaf people use as an excuse to get out of things.

Here at RIT/NTID, deaf students do this a lot.

When I'm at a computer lab and there are a couple deaf students talking and making noise, I'll remind them that we are in a computer lab and that they should be quiet.

They say, "So? We're deaf."

When I'm in my dorm room and there are some deaf students yelling in the hallways at 2 am, I'll remind them that there are other people trying to sleep.

They say, "So? We're deaf."

That's bullshit. That's no excuse.

I knew a gal who was rejected by this guy because she didn't have deaf parents. According to "Deaf Pride", you must have deaf parents. Of course, this guy was the same prick that many AllDeaf members got pissed off at a few years ago. :roll:

rockdrummer said:
...Remember that the CI does not work for everyone and even those that it works for have mixed results.
In my opinion, if the hearing world knew how to sign deafies would not feel so alienated.

Speak for yourself...I'm doing just fine with my CI thank you. There are no mixed results for me. It has done what I hoped for and more.

Communication is a two way street. Both sides have to come together and understand each other. Unfortunately, learning languages is never easy for most people. It is hard work no matter how you do it. Even if hearing people knew sign (let's say decently), that wouldn't end all the problems between the worlds.

srsoars17, he meant that as a whole, the implanteed population has seen mixed results....that is some folks can only hear enviromental sounds and some are functionally hoh.....make sense now?
i think that more and more people are becoming more open to being part of both worlds.

deafdyke said:
srsoars17, he meant that as a whole, the implanteed population has seen mixed results....that is some folks can only hear enviromental sounds and some are functionally hoh.....make sense now?
i think that more and more people are becoming more open to being part of both worlds.

I know what he meant but I don't like blanket statements like that...thanks though.

I agree more are being open between both worlds. Still for all that, people are people the world over and my point is that extremes will always exist.

Perfectly valid argument there, Eve... one could say the same about religion and patriotic zealotry. *ducks* ;) I think the point is that the minute we become too dependent on something without using our discernment, it's not healthy because it has become imbalanced and a permanent shelter to hide in and somebody will be making all the decisions for us even if some of them may not be the best for us. That's scary to me!

I personally have nothing against the existence of Deaf Culture - I lived in it and I continue to think about the issues everyday - I think if people as a whole wants it to exist, it will regardless of how others may feel about it. *grin* But then again, I honestly haven't seen some who *use* voice primarily wanting to trample on these choices. I think we should not allow ourselves to get confused like that and start bashing the ones who are really innocent of that. That's just wrong. Treat others as you would want to be treated. Simple, right?

Isn't RESPECT a two-way street??

Sweetmind said:
travisdoesmath's

Thank you so much for saying it aloud since people love to jump the conclusion about Deaf community or Deaf culture.. You know what people with audist attitude will say anything NEGATIVE about us. Thats their loss because they dont know anything about good things that we succeed for being deaf in many ways.

They do not read it carefully and love to bash deaf community. The only thing is that thats their issue for being so bittered about themselves. not Deaf commmunity itself make u miserable or unhappy. You hate yourself for being deaf, I feel sorry for you. You need to chill out and move on.

It s so true for people who do not have any respect for us Deaf people with our hands to speak with ASL. or Deaf children who are not functionallly hearing. Thanks! ** ROLLING MY EYES**

I can see deaf oralism or latened deaf have a real problem with their audist attitude.

ASL is a huge real freedom that capable for us to express our body language/ facial expression and good healthy for all of us to communicate without struggle between Hearing and Deaf. Thats a very positive reinforcement to have a great communication. So be it! Why bother spending $$$ on the stupid machine or oral method only that is still conflict problem going on?

Be proud of being deaf and happy for exactly who you are.. I want to show the whole whole that I am Deaf and speak with my hands so that way people will learn from us than hiding urself and who do u prove that u have a great speech? whooppppeeee doo..

One thing U with audist attitude have no right to put thumb down on Deaf people with ASL who have or had been success on the job with or without speech impairment.

Have a great day! ;)
Sweetmind

Isn't respect a 2-way street. From what you are writing respect goes only 1 way, and it HAS to be towards you.

I find it amazing that you write
It s so true for people who do not have any respect for us Deaf people with our hands to speak with ASL.
because that is not what I see around me from d/Deaf people. I have never had the feeling you speak for them.

But that's just my feeling. Perhaps you are talking for all the deaf people AllDeaf....

Last edited:
Cloggy's
Isn't respect a 2-way street. From what you are writing respect goes only 1 way, and it HAS to be towards you.

:werd: There are no respect a 2 way street for years and years even in todays. I find this is manipulative comment by you as usual. After all I did everything what audist attitude want me to do this and that that doesnt succeed for me and many deafies. AND deafies and I cannot be functionally hearing that is fact. So what makes you think your child is gonna to be different from me with HA.. It s the old SAME routine pattern from oral side only. CI radicals turns me off because you said so. Not a deaf child with no knowledge of many deaf issues that she will have the same thinkings what many deafies feels. It has be your way so she can function in this Hearing world that all u are thinking of. Guess what this is not hearing world belongs to the world. We have the right to be part of the diversity that we are dealing with all kind of people with disabilities in different cultures that d/Deaf children are suffering beause it has to be your way all the time. I have seen a lot of things that doesnt respect d/Deaf chlidren s needs in this society while they do not have everything that provides for d/Deaf children s need in the classroom in mainstream school while Deaf school has everything to provide those d/Deaf children s need that it s two street. Also many people do not want their d/Deaf children to meet other d/Deaf children because of our hands to speak until they are older and finally found what they need from our Deaf community that fits them that is two street way.

Why would I come here in this forum? Because I want to stop a lot of BS going on here that makes me sick my stomach and I can feel their pains in many different area of what happens to those d/Deaf children 's deaf reality that hasnt changed all along.

I am a very observant person with the bottom of my heart that I can see the difference between this and that is not fit into a ONE whole group of people in this society. ASL, SE , and with or without orally speaking that fits in the whole group in this society. HA or CI doesnt have to do with this our needs 100 percent since we are not functionally hearing that you couldnt bear the truth. Some people want to hear the music that is the only reason they are doing it for themselves that I can understand it very well.

Music is not the main reason for our Education in the classroom if you mind. Also I have asked my daughter why do people love music? Is there reason for it?? I find this is real interesting about the music that all kind of people who make the music that tells their own pain experiences or emotional feelings that affects their life. I said ahh it makes sense for people love music. I like music myself but dont understand it at all unless I am reading those closed captions that helps me to understand and feel the emotional feelings that does affect people 's lives. I can feel the rythmn with a very high volume.

So now I know some deafies wrote the poems to express their true feelings about being deaf that is similar with the music..

Many of us do not understand or know how to write the poem as well as I am the one of them too. I have nothing to be ashamed of because I was toooo busy with oral method and listening to the device that is all you want us to HEAR and SPEAk so we can fit into your your your your world. (rme) Everything is YOURS AND YOUR WAY toooooooo much. I cannot be me or myself or the whole of me as a d/Deaf person with a real feelings that is not fit yours that is what they want from me. If you dont mind that my concerns is a very rude/ selfish, offensive, prejudice, second class citizens, discrimination, and etc and etc you can name it that is still going on this diversity world after all we d/Deaf people worked very hard and deal with their unnecessary control and abusive ways. The way I read many people with audist attiude blah blah blah blah blah blah and never give d/Deaf person alike me a chance to express or share how we exactly feels for years and years that their parent never knew.

My pet peeves is that audist attitude thinks they know everything about our deafness issues that becomes into a MEDICAL situation that they can make money out on us for years and years.. NOw what do we d/Deaf people get? Of course we have nothing to make ourselves feels good that our capabilities that you think we are not capable to do with our deaf ears or hands to speak with because we must think HEAR and SPEAK all the time and leave ASL into a last resort which I dont agree with it at all. With or without orally speaking in ASL does the work and helps us to have the equal communication between hearing and deaf that is a TWO WAY street. I dont think Many people get it what I am trying to say it over and over again that you were complained about my repeat statement in a many different way around that I could find the word to be useful that helps people understand it better. I did the best I could and wont give it up what I strongly believe in myself, and A Good citizen of a Deaf person with the hands to speak in ASL with or without orally speak, that can make a huge difference for between Hearing and Deaf people in this diversity world. Thats a real pretty fair for all of us along not excluding a natural deaf people or d/Deaf blind people, or d/D mentally challenge, Hearing ppl with no vocals and many more that u can name it if you have a heart for them that they do need us around not forcing me to keep apart from them. I was a kid I used to mingle with all kind of Deaf s secondary disablities that I can understand or deal with them with No problem. Nowadays everything is so split up and go back where it was alike isolation and shut them out beacause of audist attitude want us into their world (rme) and their ways while they dont hve any respect for other that I love and care about very much with all my heart.

I was a Deaf child poster with a beautiful smile, a headphone and a gold start on my top of my hand in the newspaper in the past. So whats the purpose for them to have me in the newspaper because of audist attitude tried to send the message that I can speak with a stupid HA. It doesnt make me for who I am or what I am functionally hearing in today's that people do not know the truth about "me" and "myself" and "a whole of me" alike many deafies. That s a big lie to many parents of d/Deaf children that is not right since they ripped them off in a very dishonest approach. because they have been trying to influence how bad that we are a legally deaf or unfunctionally hearing of their d/Deaf children and MONEY issue. They got so powerful because of riches from your taxpayer money and our hard money that earned by hard working job. What a real waste of time, engery, money, and have so much time to destroy our true Natural Deaf people in this society!!!

They failed me in many ways that I went through struggle all the time no matter what. It does affect me to bounce back and forth after I relapsed with my emotional pains that I am dealing with every day. many times. Some things that affects me into a flashback that is a real NIGHTMARE from what audist attitude people did it to me for years and years.

That s not very nice of people like you did many unnecessary things on our d/Deaf children s lives that is very innocent children.

I used to hate myself and my deafness until I FOUND my own true identity for the first time in my whole life in late age. Also, I did stand up whoever tried to mess around with me in this society. AM I doing it for myself? Hell no because I m doing this for many many deafies out there who needs somone who is very strong outpoken and have nothing to be fear to confront. I knew I will get into a big trouble and many things that it was not necessary to be called for, I cannot believe the way you think of me. That s other negative thing that audist attitude people turned me down for what I have tried so hard to help many many people on the internet and in real life that I am so proud for what I have done for these people who needs help. I care and want to make the difference for once all of us.

I am sorry I DONT LIKE SELF CENTERED like you and the rest of some people who doesnt have any respect. All they do is give me the huge manure on my and deafies' face and doenst have any respect tooooooo many years that needs to be stopped.. Thank you for treating me this way.

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

Last edited:
sr171soars said:
Speak for yourself...I'm doing just fine with my CI thank you. There are no mixed results for me. It has done what I hoped for and more..
OK....My bad. I should have said ...Remember that the CI does not work for everyone and even amongst those that it works for, there are mixed results. Meaning that the spectrum would be from complete success to complete failure. By the way, I am happy that yours worked for you.
sr171soars said:
Even if hearing people knew sign (let's say decently), that wouldn't end all the problems between the worlds.
My comment was "In my opinion, if the hearing world knew how to sign deafies would not feel so alienated." I certianly didn't mean to imply it would end all the problems between the worlds. I am sorry if it came across that way.

OK the whole article sounded bogus to me, I dont think I quite buy into the "deaf heritage rejection" thing and by the way deafness isnt exactly a heritage- it would have to be inherited from your family for generations, which is rare.

I dont think most deafies would get that radical about not joining the hearing world. Whether or not we can hear, we are a part of the hearing world.

As for deafies being prejudiced against hearing, its possible and Im sure it happens as Ive seen minorities prejudiced against whites (I see it in my town all the time). No one is completely immune from being 100% non-judgemental against every person they come in contact with.

Deaf culture is nice and Im glad there are certain things out there for the deaf, but I also enjoy being a part of reality where I know I'll have to interact with many different people whether or not I like them.

Dixie

Dixie

Hi Dixie, and welcome to AD! Stick around a while and you will surely get an eyeful of those deafies prejudiced against hearing ;) Of course, not all of us are like that.

Back