iPhone verses Blackberry for Hoh

Anij

Reaction score
Still doing the "great debate" about upgrading from my Blackberry Curve (8310) to a newer phone.

I like the BB curve - I do a lot of texting, IM, emailing & reading ebooks - not so much when it comes to web or games.

I've heard that the iphone "keyboard" is more difficult to type fast on and be accurate - however are the newer iphones any better at that?

I'm also concerned that the iphone might not be as loud as the BB - I'm a Half & half ... ie I'm Hon on my left and deaf on my right - so I can use the phone a little bit sometimes ... if the phone is loud enough etc (motorola is waaayyy to quiet, nokia was ok , BB is ok, but I haven't tried iPhone). Also BB has a volume "over ride" that allows you to boost the volume if you are Hoh (it has a "warning" that loud noises can cause HL and use at own risk that you have to click a button to agree to) - does iPhone have something like this for Hoh?

Does iphone work well with tcoil ? (my BB works ok with my Phonak MAXX, but not super great ... I think it's my HA though, not so much the phone)

I don't use my phone for business - but I do like to be able to have multiple email accounts pushed (gmail, ISP email etc) as well as have access to various IMs (I have Beejive).

for watching video on iphone - can you load on digital copies of movies & does CC/subtitles work and can you actaully SEE them to read ??

Thanks for everyone's help (sorry for posting a few different thread about this in the last few months ... I'm confused and want to get the right thing ... and of course cell phone companies don't know the answers to most of our Hoh questions!)

I've heard that iPhone isn't as good for hoh/deaf...i tried hearing on it andddd i was frustrated..unless the new iPhone 4 is diff...and where is this volume override!? lol I have a BB and I put it up loud as I can but a lot of the time it isn't loud enough..where is this override hoh thing? So far the BB has been the only phone I can hear fairly well on

For the BB the audio boost override is found by going to:

media -> music -> then use the BB key (left) to bring down the menu -> options, then at then in the options go to the bottom where it says "audio boost" and make sure it's on.

This only works for listening to music/videos ... I don't think it works for the handset while using the phone to call people ... but it does work REALLY well for music & video (if the sound distorts, if plugged into something (car, computer) then turn DOWN the BB volume a bit and up the car/computer volume and the distortion will go away)

Hope that helps!!

I have an Iphone and am Hoh and the tcoil works fantastic with my hearing aids. (depends of course on location and interferance from outside noises and my hearing situation for the day) I got it because other Hoh people said the same to me. The Iphone was advertised to work well with HA's t-coils and I found it true. It too had a warning about the volume being loud and damaging hearing. My mom turns it down all the time for my daughter to play apps. I use Starkey Destiney 1200's. Bilat. Has great reception most of the time and up here most other phones are sketchy. The typing thing has been hard to figure for me... I have fumble fingers but have gotten really used to it. And it is smarter than me and figures out what I am trying to say. I can go pretty fast typing now. The videos are good... not tried subtitles on it yet. Digital copies work through Itunes. Can do multiple emails with push and will vibrate is there is new mail. If there is an app for the IM you can have it on there. I basically live on my Iphone now.... my daughter loves it too and she is 4. A lot of my BB friends "borrow" it when they are around too. And I actually have the 3G, not s. It does get pretty loud I am told, but doesn't seem so to me since I am Hoh.

For the BB the audio boost override is found by going to:

media -> music -> then use the BB key (left) to bring down the menu -> options, then at then in the options go to the bottom where it says "audio boost" and make sure it's on.

This only works for listening to music/videos ... I don't think it works for the handset while using the phone to call people ... but it does work REALLY well for music & video (if the sound distorts, if plugged into something (car, computer) then turn DOWN the BB volume a bit and up the car/computer volume and the distortion will go away)

Hope that helps!!

The AudioBoost instructions worked wondrefully on my BB 8330! Thanks :ty:

he Nokia Wireless Loopset provides t-coil-equipped hearing aid users with a hassle- and hands-free connection to mobile phones. Compatible with handsets that use Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity, the loopset enables mobile calls to be accessed wirelessly through the hearing aid.
Nokia Accessibility: Nokia Loopset

Works with iPhone which includes wireless Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology.

LOL! :) I live on my Iphone as well. I used to have a Nokia E50 and I could only hear on it if it was on speaker phone and held up to my hearing aids. I could never use it in public since everyone could hear the conversation. lol That is the only way I can talk on a phone is through speaker phone. I have an Iphone now and I live on it. lol I have Phonak Naida V UPs and also use the Icom for everything from watching TV to using the phone to hearing music in my synthesizer studio. I am a musician and love how the Icom works well with my musical equipment. Anyway, the Iphone is decent when its on speaker phone. When I use my Icom with any cellphone, it sounds great, but I still have trouble understanding everything I hear and I can't understand every word. I also cant understand any words in music either even with the Icom.
I do not know much about the BB, I think both devices are excellent, but from my personal experience with the Iphone has been a great one. Its more than a phone, its more like a small computer. I always say that "I have my whole life on my Iphone". LOL
Its funny, the name Icom/Iphone. The Icom is paired to the Iphone nicely. Its I-everything now a days. LOL

Back