Ip Relay Warning

In my opinion, IP-relay in this case should be shut down and just dial 711. It is a lot more confidential than IP-relay. IP_relay is over internet and there are people spying on internet all the time. I never use IP-relay. Just 711. Anyway, I know these scams won't stop and IP-relay in this case should shut down and those operators working there should transfer over to the state relay office. Sorry, but it's true. Internet is never confidential and there are assholes out there. Sorry for language, but it's true. Anyway, i think everyone should just go back to 711. Since it's a lot more confidential. Or If you want a way to make IP-relay more confidential, instead of saying Go Ahead, say GA, or say SKSK when caller is hanging up. So that way you will know that if the caller is a scammer. Anyway, I just think everyone should just plain use 711 and those internet IP operators transfer and go to state relay office.

IP-Relay (the web version) uses SSL. Your connection to relay is encrypted and is just as if not more secure than 711. SSL is the same kind of encryption e-commerce sites use to process your billing information.

To use 711, you need a TTY, a VCO device or to have your computer setup as well as a phone line. To use IP-Relay you just need a Computer and Internet Connection which is more and more common these days even in some cases not even having a phone line but just a high speed data line.

TTY's tend to be based off 50 baud Baudot, because it handles line noise well and tends to work even with the crummiest connections. The downsides: It's slow, It's half duplex (only 1 person can talk at a time).

Actually Pete, 711 is safer because you have to pay long distance charges. Con artists don't want to pay a high long distance cll rate just to steal stuff. The cost of calling here through 711 if you're in Nigeria would be extremely expensive. That's why using 711 would be a lot safer.

That is crazy for west africa to be nosy in iprelay to use the scams since they were mci , or whatever to call people and heard about iprelay so that is how west africa decide to do crazy to steal people's personal cards out of ip relay computer data wiretapped u mean wiretapped while on computer with ip relay???? and i am glad i don't even accept credit cards at all. I refused it and is smart to watch budget money as i can cuz i have a lot of patience without credit card. .... u said about when i called business like changing service turning off mci and turning on sbc long distance for example, when i call that business.... business hung up thought i w/ relay is not a real hearing person and think relay and i are telemarketing . or like call other business like papa john they thought relay and i are telemarketing that person hung up and i told relay to redial cuz i know they think it 's telemarketing. i use to that that is not bad for me but if personal things on ip relay computer like credit card or debit so many time which is not good that west africa may steal? i use tty sometimes like in morning where i don't want to turn computer on until later evening or night depend on my mood. is that what u are saying all this as i said? WHAT ABOUT BILLS ? WILL THEY FIND OUT AND THEY WILL BILL TO ALL OF US OF IP RELAY BILLS SINCE ALL OF US ARE ABLE TO USE IPRELAY FOR FREE? WHAT IF IT IS GONNA BILLING US LATER ON? CUZ WE HAVE USERNAME AND PW? ARE U SAYING THAT DEAF PEOPLE GET CREDIT CARD BILLS SINCE THEY ARE SCAMMED FROM IPRELAY THAT WEST AFRICA IS NOSY IN TO STEAL?

Err, let me see if I can clear up as much as I know.

sweet4u618 :

1) Internet Relay Scam: An person "posing" as a deaf person, usually from an international location, uses the internet relay service (iprelay, sprintrelayonline, at&t internet relay, hiprelay, etc.) to purchase some incredible number of goods. The fraud person convinces the seller that they're on the level and provides a credit card number that the seller doesn't know is stolen. The fraud person convinces them to ship somewhere ASAP. Shortly after, the seller finds out the card was stolen and loses all the money for that sale.

JesKlu:

1) Internet relay is SECURE. SSL encryption is ON for all relay providers, I believe. That means it's virtually impossible for anyone on the internet to view your conversation and "steal credit cards" or whatever.

2) Internet relay is CONFIDENTIAL. The operators cannot record any information; it is a FELONY to do so, they WILL go to jail if they are caught. The only exception to this is they can temporarily record an audio tape of a long message and play back so they can catch the whole thing correctly to type out to the deaf user. People who won't use relay because they're afraid the operators will steal their personal information or will tell the world ARE IDIOTS. Drug deals, murders, and other crimes have been spoken about through the relay service.

3) 7-1-1 is not "more secure" than internet relay. Con artists have and are very willing to pay long distance fees if the payoff is good. The thing is, people can trace where phone calls are coming from, whereas it's impossible to trace via the internet. THAT'S why they use internet relay.

4) 7-1-1 just isn't convenient enough anymore. I'm on the internet far more than I'm on the phone. I'd rather take advantage of what I have than to be stuck with a phone line I almost never use.

Last edited:
personally i use internet relay services than using the TTY now a days when i need to use the services -- its just simply SO MUCH easier to use than with the TTY

It's interesting to know that using the 'My IP Relay' AIM buddy is NOT secure at all.

That's sort of debatable on "not secure at all". AIM isn't encrypted, yes and can be sniffed but it goes like this.

Your Data Packet is a fish in the river.

If the sniffer is at your Internet Service Provider, the river is rather small and not many fish.

The farther away you go from your computer towards AIM, the bigger the river gets. My IP Relay I bet uses a pretty big pipe or river too.

So getting your information, would be the same as reaching into the river and grabbing an exact fish (and this would have to be done hundreds of times over a single session)

Unless someone is speficically targetting you, the chances that your AIM-Relay conversation will be read by a third party is pretty slim.

These scam artists are also cruising through deaf chatrooms, so be careful not to aim with them, because they can send a Trojan Horse into your computer that way to get all the information they need to make credit purchases through your name.

west

Why cant relay realize the long distance coming from there and ask for a verify phone numbers before making the calls i also recommend everyoine to put your number on the relay screen that way they can check it thru sprint to see if it is fake will that work, like when i make a call threy know my number and vco user already on thier screen. why cant they make everyone put thiers thru a phone co saying you paid the bills etc, then the scammers cant beat that .

is it really warning ip relay service to deaf people?

hi i understand that scambuster posted it. so thanks someone else who explained to me that cover up for scambuster. i am glad and yeah i used to iprelay and sometimes i can click ip relay again after first line is on can use two or three lines same times and also can use tty (dial) same time with ip relay. it save my time than wait for tty relay one at a time done after that done sometimes. ok but it said warning??????? so that is not warning for deaf people but to ip relay who are workers that should be warned if they record deaf people's ip relay messages that workers will go to jail. so i thought warning mean something is wrong with ip relay service. that's all and thanks i do understand really clear now but weird warning. ok thx bye

harleymn said:
Why cant relay realize the long distance coming from there and ask for a verify phone numbers before making the calls i also recommend everyoine to put your number on the relay screen that way they can check it thru sprint to see if it is fake will that work, like when i make a call threy know my number and vco user already on thier screen. why cant they make everyone put thiers thru a phone co saying you paid the bills etc, then the scammers cant beat that .

Well the whole point of IP-Relay is it is anonymous and users don't have to have a phone line.

Even so, this scheme is easily defeated with a device called a Phone Book. :deal:

harleymn said:

What if I'm deaf and I don't want a phone? What about my pager that doesn't have a phone number, just an email address? Hmm?

Dennis said:
What if I'm deaf and I don't want a phone? What about my pager that doesn't have a phone number, just an email address? Hmm?

I didn't know that you are hearing! ;)

And you can use the new option on www.ip-relay.com where you can register for your own personal phone number for hearing people to call you by the use of AIM. If you are not on AIM, they will forward the message to your email.

posts from hell said:
This is the day of this age where I am so glad that I live in a shack where nobody wants to bother me.

Well, I just tried making a call for the first time using this. I noticed that they relay repeat for number when I am just starting to write down the number. Then the caller repeat as if I am not there. I will have to update again :).

Would love to hear from others if they have tried.

Deaf258 said:
I didn't know that you are hearing!

I'm a hearing dog (bark bark). My master doesn't let me use the computer when he's around. :confused:

What the heck was your point? We're discussing relay fraud, and I'm throwing out hypotheticals to address harveymn.

I don't know if you're still addressing my points when you say this:

Deaf258 said:
you can register for your own personal phone number for hearing people to call you by the use of AIM.

How does that reconcile what I was addressing:

harleymn said:
i also recommend everyoine to put your number on the relay screen that way they can check it thru sprint to see if it is fake will that work

Well, I had someone call me and leave me a message. It's my first one, and I like it! It also leaves the phone number on the Subject line. Yay! Big success for once. :)

I'm glad to see that ScamBuster has posted here.

The easiest solution to the scams while retaining the service is registration. For pagers and the like, this is simple. Whatever provider you're using would have it set up when you get it. For general IP relay, it would be slightly more complicated, but still easy. You just sign up with an email address.

This will on its own remove the majority of the prank callers from the pool, simply by losing a small measure of anonymity. It will slow the scammers down, most definitely.

From what I've seen, the primary movement preventing registration appears to be from the deaf community, over fears that it is a step towards making the service a pay service. Really, this is unfounded. More than enough money is going to be going into this for as long as it is around, and reducing the number of prank/scam calls will only make it more efficient.

That, however, is all in the future. For now, I will live with my one confidentiality break, which is warning parties that they are being scammed. One man who had been completely taken in by the scammer called me a "true gentleman." I've never felt so warm inside in my life. The idea that I can simultaneously assist with helping the deaf community communicate and prevent scammers from succeeding is what's keeping me in this job.

Back