Invite Self Over

Thank god!! :giggle:

Yeah, I was alittle surprised people took it way too far and think it is a deaf thing.

I don't ask that sort of thing, but I had people who treat Thanksgiving as no big deal - when my hearing younger sister was in college, My sister's friends often ask each other if they could go with other because they didn't have any family to celebrate it with (they were gone for vacations and such). They didn't want to stay at the dorm.

wow.. i go to class, come back, and we are on page 2 of postings!
as for telling her "no", i said it a little nicer than that. I said that we would be going to my aunts house so i can't just invite someone to come with.
As for being socially awkward, yes, she is a little. I'm not sure why, only met her 3 weeks ago, so I wouldn't invite anyone I knew for 3 weeks home for a long weekend! yes, she's a little awkward, but i feel as though its from being SOO protected/sheltered at the Prov.School for the Deaf and there not being many young people in our area she can communicate with, and therefore hangout with.
Thanks for answering if this is a "Deaf" thing or not. I know some of her behaviours, like asking everything about me, my history, my family is a "Deaf" thing, but i wasn't sure about this. I had never heard of it before.

*EQL*

wow.. i go to class, come back, and we are on page 2 of postings!
as for telling her "no", i said it a little nicer than that. I said that we would be going to my aunts house so i can't just invite someone to come with.
As for being socially awkward, yes, she is a little. I'm not sure why, only met her 3 weeks ago, so I wouldn't invite anyone I knew for 3 weeks home for a long weekend! yes, she's a little awkward, but i feel as though its from being SOO protected/sheltered at the Prov.School for the Deaf and there not being many young people in our area she can communicate with, and therefore hangout with.
Thanks for answering if this is a "Deaf" thing or not. I know some of her behaviours, like asking everything about me, my history, my family is a "Deaf" thing, but i wasn't sure about this. I had never heard of it before.

*EQL*

tell her get online, well keep her company.

What's a hearing thing anyway if asking about you is a deaf thing?

No. That's not what she meant. Deaf people like to know your name, sign name, when you were born, where you were born, whether or not you're born into a hearing family or a deaf family, how you became deaf, how old you were when you became deaf, what's your first language, if you were mainstreamed or went to a Deaf school, what schools you've gone to, if you had gone to post-secondary yet, what cities you've lived in, and who your deaf friends are as one big loooooooooooong self-introduction.

Hearing people just like to talk about the weather or food.

What's a hearing thing anyway if asking about you is a deaf thing?

hearing people don't tend to ask as many questions on the first meet. They don't care where you went to school, grew up, etc etc. Deaf people like to know cause they want to know which school you went to, if you know so-and-so...
I'm not saying its a bad thing... and not asking would not necessarily be a 'hearing' thing.. like.. there are 'chinese' things, and 'american' things, and 'french' things, etc etc.
an example of a "french" thing could be the double-kiss on the cheeks and bringing a bottle of wine to someones house.
"Deaf" thing as in Deaf Culture thing. There isn't really "hearing" culture, its broken down into smaller groups.
*EQL*

Well... I would have to disagree with you on that one. I have seen this type of behaviour on many occasions.

I have seen the same sort of behavior by two or three people here locally. They were also residential students.

Back to the thread topic....if it is not acceptable to you than you should tell your friend so. This is not a 'typical Deaf community' thing. It is however a social issue. Some boundaries need to be set regardless of who the person is or whatever their background may be.

it's more of a residential school/ college dorm who don't have a family to visit than it is a deaf thing.

people don't like staying in that big building all by themselves and can be forward about it so you don't assume they have someone to celebrate it with when they don't.

it's more of a residential school/ college dorm who don't have a family to visit than it is a deaf thing.

people don't like staying in that big building all by themselves and can be forward about it so you don't assume they have someone to celebrate it with when they don't.

I don't think thats the case here. She lives with her family.
*EQL*

I dont see that kind of thing in the Deaf community that I am involved with too often. Maybe it depends on the location of each Deaf community on how their manners are developed?

There is one girl who is Deaf who is always inviting herself to all of the events my friends and I go to. She is also very very socially awkward as well. We are getting tired of her now.

I dont see that kind of thing in the Deaf community that I am involved with too often. Maybe it depends on the location of each Deaf community on how their manners are developed?

There is one girl who is Deaf who is always inviting herself to all of the events my friends and I go to. She is also very very socially awkward as well. We are getting tired of her now.

When I was in church camp (all hearing, I was the only deaf.. as usual) , there was older guy who followed my friend and I everywhere. I mean he is in his 20's but he was volunteer to help out with games and sports. He was definitely socially awkward.. we used to love to make fun of the things he says like "Do you want to be MY friend????"

When I was in church camp (all hearing, I was the only deaf.. as usual) , there was older guy who followed my friend and I everywhere. I mean he is in his 20's but he was volunteer to help out with games and sports. He was definitely socially awkward.. we used to love to make fun of the things he says like "Do you want to be MY friend????"

yep, sounds like someone who is trying too hard.

This girl told the bartender to have my hubby arrested all because he tickled her. She went on a rampage saying that he was trying to rape her. All in front of all of us? yea right.

But yeah, people shouldn't go if they are not invited. I did see a picture on facebook of a special dinner that all my friends went, dress nice and all.. but it seem like no one invited me to it. I think I may be the social awkward one too. Oh well.

But yeah, people shouldn't go if they are not invited. I did see a picture on facebook of a special dinner that all my friends went, dress nice and all.. but it seem like no one invited me to it. I think I may be the social awkward one too. Oh well.

My PA girlfriends had a 40th surprise bday party for one of them. I wasnt invited so I felt a little hurt but I wont invite myself. If they dont enjoy my company, then I would hope they would tell me but they say that it was all last minutue when I expressed my feelings.

My PA girlfriends had a 40th surprise bday party for one of them. I wasnt invited so I felt a little hurt but I wont invite myself. If they dont enjoy my company, then I would hope they would tell me but they say that it was all last minutue when I expressed my feelings.

me either, I wouldn't invite myself either but it does hurt.

To say that it's not a deaf thing... well... it depends.

Nowadays, it's somewhat different. Back in the days before texting became popular, people would just come over for a visit whenever they felt like it. I was even told of stories where deaf friends and families would wait in people's driveways waiting for them to get home... on a daily basis.

I'm not making this up.

To say that it's not a deaf thing... well... it depends.

Nowadays, it's somewhat different. Back in the days before texting became popular, people would just come over for a visit whenever they felt like it. I was even told of stories where deaf friends and families would wait in people's driveways waiting for them to get home... on a daily basis.

I'm not making this up.

my family do this because I can't hear the phone. They actually wait for me! and they are hearing. They just don't want to waste a trip for nothing. but not on daily basis though.

Back