Invite Self Over

Here's a story for you...

A while ago, this man who is in his 40s has a decent job. He lives with his parents. he has been planning to buy a house for years. To myself, I thought... that's a good thing he's finally moving on.

Then... I was told that he plans to buy a house, then have his parents sell theirs and move in with him. Then that was when I realized, is he doing this to avoid paying inheritance taxes?

I had to bite my tongue.

EQL, now that you have seen posts suggesting your friend is a social cripple and all that, let me ask you if you know her well enough to apply that to her vs, say, her being very lonely, maybe even not knowing/forgetting it was Thanksgiving Day, etc....? Again, how well do you know this person? How well do you understand each other, communication-wise (oral, ASL, etc)?

EQL, now that you have seen posts suggesting your friend is a social cripple and all that, let me ask you if you know her well enough to apply that to her vs, say, her being very lonely, maybe even not knowing/forgetting it was Thanksgiving Day, etc....? Again, how well do you know this person? How well do you understand each other, communication-wise (oral, ASL, etc)?

It wasn't suggested that her friend was a social cripple. That was in reference to a generalized group of people suffering from social ineptness. :roll: Not enough is known regarding the level of social delay experienced by the OP's friend to make such an assumption.

BTW, it was suggested that the OP use this situation to educate her friend regarding appropriate behavior.

A while ago, this man who is in his 40s has a decent job. He lives with his parents. he has been planning to buy a house for years. To myself, I thought... that's a good thing he's finally moving on.

Then... I was told that he plans to buy a house, then have his parents sell theirs and move in with him. Then that was when I realized, is he doing this to avoid paying inheritance taxes?

I had to bite my tongue.

Quite possible.

I think it's quite disturbing that one would wait for the parents to kneel over and die in order to receive financial security.

You would be surprised how many do that...deaf and hearing. I hear people say all the time..."Well, when my dad dies, I will get....."

I had to bite my tongue.

isn't that being smart with money?

You would be surprised how many do that...deaf and hearing. I hear people say all the time..."Well, when my dad dies, I will get....."

It's rather sad because one would have to waste a significant amount of its life to receive something. They should be doing something worthwhile with the time they have.

and living with their parents. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with it. However, to spend your entire life living with your parents, it's not a good way to become independent and self-reliant.

It's not the same as having your parents live with you later when they get older. There is a big difference. People who live a sheltered life often are unable to understand how the real world works.

is that how it is for ya'all?

Asian culture... so much simpler. It's more of community mindset than individualism.

Geez.

I am not looking forward to when my parents pass away... especially if I have to take care of loose ends from their indebted lives.

No, it is not just the deaf culture. Hearing people do it too. Especially when they think they are close friends with you Especially Thanksgiving (weird but true... it's like a holiday similar to NEW YEAR EVE like is a time for friends and family get together and celebrate).

Just say you can't bring her because you are not sure how your family feel about it.

It's rather sad because one would have to waste a significant amount of its life to receive something. They should be doing something worthwhile with the time they have.

Yep. Always playing the waiting game.

Asian culture... so much simpler. It's more of community mindset than individualism.

Yes. We could do with a bit more collective cultural practice in this country.

Right...

Us Mennonites may be communal, but we still have a sense of individualism. You live with your parents until you own a property of your own, then you work and share everything with your parents, then when it's time for them to retire... they live with you. I think that's what banjo was referring to, the Canadian sense of individualism and communalism, which is not the same as the American lifestyle.

Right...

Us Mennonites may be communal, but we still have a sense of individualism. You live with your parents until you own a property of your own, then you work and share everything with your parents, then when it's time for them to retire... they live with you. I think that's what banjo was referring to, the Canadian sense of individualism and communalism, which is not the same as the American lifestyle.

Right. Very different.

Right...

Are you a mennonites? you wrote "Us Mennonites"

Are you a mennonites? you wrote "Us Mennonites"

Ethnically, linguistically and culturally, yes. Religiously? No, I am a atheist with a rather unique spirituality (thanks to being infused with Inuit and First Nations mythologies.) However it seems like everyone in Canada has a Russian grandmother, or a Mennonite grandfather or a Ukrainian uncle or a Polish aunt, which their cultural values shaped Canada the way it is today-- the supposed peace-loving/making open-minded stereotypes that the world display us as.

Before the Cold War, Canada was very British, and very hawk-like in their mindsets with American-like individualism, however for some reason Canadian culture took a complete 180 degrees turn after WWII.

Right...

Exactly.

No, it is not just the deaf culture. Hearing people do it too. Especially when they think they are close friends with you Especially Thanksgiving (weird but true... it's like a holiday similar to NEW YEAR EVE like is a time for friends and family get together and celebrate).

Just say you can't bring her because you are not sure how your family feel about it.

Thank god!! :giggle:

I think it's quite disturbing that one would wait for the parents to kneel over and die in order to receive financial security.

I've heard that before too. I once knew someone who was always saying "I can't wait !!" (when talking about his parents eventual death.) I was like :eek3: Needless to say, I am not friends with him anymore. Not just because of that, but many other disturbing things he used to say.

Back