Introducing....Angie :)

AngieDust

Reaction score
Hi! I'm Angie. I'll give a quick introduction of myself but I don't want to bore anyone. I grew up in Philadelphia and I now live in Delaware. (Dela-WHERE?)
I started to get involved in ASL about 4 years ago when my friend introduced me to her family. Both grandparents, aunts and uncles, and her ex step dad and his wife are Deaf. I quickly realized if I was going to be a part of any conversation I needed to learn to sign. I learned through them and even took a class at the community college. It's been almost 2 years now that I've seen them but I still continue my love for ASL. I practice at home and alone all the time. I watch lessons on lifeprint.com. I watch YouTube videos but because it's been so long since I actually interacted with anyone else who can sign I feel I have lost confidence.
I want to go to Deaf Community events and meetings etc. but I am a little intimidated to go alone. I have always had some one to next to me who could interpret for me incase I got lost in a conversation, but now I would like to be able to do it all for myself. Hopefully, while doing so, I could meet friends with similar interests. I just downloaded Skype but it isn't working on my computer so hopefully eventually I could find some one(s) to practice with!!

Hi! I'm Angie. I'll give a quick introduction of myself but I don't want to bore anyone. I grew up in Philadelphia and I now live in Delaware. (Dela-WHERE?)
I started to get involved in ASL about 4 years ago when my friend introduced me to her family. Both grandparents, aunts and uncles, and her ex step dad and his wife are Deaf. I quickly realized if I was going to be a part of any conversation I needed to learn to sign. I learned through them and even took a class at the community college. It's been almost 2 years now that I've seen them but I still continue my love for ASL. I practice at home and alone all the time. I watch lessons on lifeprint.com. I watch YouTube videos but because it's been so long since I actually interacted with anyone else who can sign I feel I have lost confidence.
I want to go to Deaf Community events and meetings etc. but I am a little intimidated to go alone. I have always had some one to next to me who could interpret for me incase I got lost in a conversation, but now I would like to be able to do it all for myself. Hopefully, while doing so, I could meet friends with similar interests. I just downloaded Skype but it isn't working on my computer so hopefully eventually I could find some one(s) to practice with!!

Hi :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. You can try OOvOO.com if you want to use video to chat with other deaf people. This should work. I hope. I have not use Skype at all.

I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Nice to meet all of you!

Bebonang....I will try ooVoo. I used that on my phone before and at least I know how to use that!

Nice to meet you all! Ill try ooVoo as well... and Derek if I figure it out, ill let you know. I think my computer doesn't want to recognize my cam. Im just getting used to this Windows 8. blah.

welcome to alldeaf,

nice to meet to you I reading to you comments, you exciting to you ASL. i understand you... I hope be you exciting to interesting to motivated ASL.

It is pretty experience you increase ASL!

I want to go to Deaf Community events and meetings etc. but I am a little intimidated to go alone. I have always had some one to next to me who could interpret for me incase I got lost in a conversation, but now I would like to be able to do it all for myself.

AngieDust -

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the club of feeling intimidated and afraid to be lost in a deaf conversation. :giggle: I once had a woman stop me in the bathroom at Gallaudet. She was upset about someone who had recently died, but I couldn't figure out HOW she knew this person. I felt like an idiot. She was signing. so. fast.....

Shiloh.. that is one of the first things I learned to sign. "SLOW DOWN. NOT UNDERSTAND "

Thank you SMITHTR. :)

Back