Interview HOH or Latent Deaf - HELP!

KLstudent

Reaction score
Hi! I am studying to be a sign language interpreter. For an assignment, I need to interview someone who is HOH or latent deaf. If you would be willing to answer 10 quick questions, please let me know and we can email! I am looking very forward to getting to know the Deaf community and the people in it!
Thank you!

I used to be HOH. But PFH convinced me I am part of Deafhood. Now I feel tough!

Latent deaf? Does that mean these are deaf people who are lactose-intolerant? lol

Hi! I am studying to be a sign language interpreter. For an assignment, I need to interview someone who is HOH or latent deaf. If you would be willing to answer 10 quick questions, please let me know and we can email! I am looking very forward to getting to know the Deaf community and the people in it!
Thank you!
Latent deaf? You mean late-deafened? Also, when you said HOH, did you actually mean in terms of hearing loss? That is those that may not have much of an hearing loss and may be able to use the phone and such? Or did you mean "culturally" HOH?

Thank you!

Shouldn't you do that in person?

Must be that time of the year again... Summer was great

lol, word.

I work on campus of a small college town and it sure is nice when summer hits and the population drops by about 60% and traffic is non-existent.

Shouldn't you do that in person?

lol, word.

I work on campus of a small college town and it sure is nice when summer hits and the population drops by about 60% and traffic is non-existent.

And you can eat at Hickory Park without waiting 40 minutes!

PFH, I strongly disagree with your assertion that there's no "culturally hoh"
You're kind of right......it's not a seperate culture from culturally Deaf, BUT I also think there are people who are hoh who are very "both culturally Deaf and hearing" as opposed to the type of hoh person who is ex hearing or "almost hearing" and has little to no culturally Deaf idenity.

PFH, I strongly disagree with your assertion that there's no "culturally hoh"
You're kind of right......it's not a seperate culture from culturally Deaf, BUT I also think there are people who are hoh who are very "both culturally Deaf and hearing" as opposed to the type of hoh person who is ex hearing or "almost hearing" and has little to no culturally Deaf idenity.

most of the people who identify theirselves as HOH are lost in middle of worlds... And they are the ones who are in most pain. That is the reason I refuse to acknowledge that there is a "HOH Culture"..

What cultural aspects does the "HOH" generally carry?

No, you're thinking of the "hearing impaired" hoh. Like the kind from HLAA. There is no clear subtype of Hoh culture.
But they are the ones who may have a hoh loss or be functionally hoh, but feel like they have access to both the hearing and Deaf worlds.

No, you're thinking of the "hearing impaired" hoh. Like the kind from HLAA. There is no clear subtype of Hoh culture.
But they are the ones who may have a hoh loss or be functionally hoh, but feel like they have access to both the hearing and Deaf worlds.

I know quite a few of these people, and they usually identify theirselves as deaf.

Seems that some of the Deaf can't make up their minds. Many of them are always insisting that the term "hearing-impaired" is not to be used. To the point that they often tell the oral deaf that they should at least call themselves "hard of hearing". Yet, when one uses "HOH" in a post, they say there is no such thing as "HOH culture"? Which is which?

There is a hearing loss community. where they get together and discuss the medical view of hearing loss and how they can improve their hearing and speech for the hearing world.

Seems that some of the Deaf can't make up their minds. Many of them are always insisting that the term "hearing-impaired" is not to be used. To the point that they often tell the oral deaf that they should at least call themselves "hard of hearing". Yet, when one uses "HOH" in a post, they say there is no such thing as "HOH culture"? Which is which?

where am i telling people that they are hard of hearing? read again

PFH- I agree with you in all aspects of what you are saying. When I first lost my hearing or started to lose it I definitely considered myself HOH. As many people in my situation also do. As time went on and I started to realize that this isn't going to correct itself and has only gotten worse and I was able to understand what was happening with myself I was able to rationalize that I am deaf.. BEING here on AD helped me with that. I think in the beginning it was like "what do I expect" nervous about becoming deaf... so I was in "that middle" world you talk about.. Not knowing if I fit in with the deaf world or hearing so somewhere in between.. And Im not sure what to think about the "culturally HOH" Yes I agree there are organizations that deal with it such as HLAA, but I really dont see that there is a culture aspect to it. The Deaf community is wayyyy different if you are comparing a Culture to an Organization.

LOL PFH, it is kind of funny. I am audilogically hoh, but have always referred to myself as Deaf. I rememeber some posters saying that they ID as Deaf in some situtions and hoh in others.
So you're saying the hoh folks you know tend to be teh HLAA types of people? Meaning very pro cure and pretty much interested only in Hearing Health sorts of things? Maybe it's a regional thing. The people around here who are like that ID as hearing impaired.
PFH, do the people who you know ID as deaf have hoh losses?
HHIssues, it's an ATTIUDE thing. Hearing impaired really is more of a label for the hearing health type of person It's like wheelchair bound (oh I want a cure, oh I hate using a wheelchair, Oh I'm a helpless cripple and I hate using a wheelchair ) vs the Disabilty rights wheelchair user (using a wheelchair gives me FREEDOM, I like being a chair user, there's nothing wrong with disabilty. Attitudes are the REAL disabilty)

Back