Interview HOH or Latent Deaf - HELP!

LOL PFH, it is kind of funny. I am audilogically hoh, but have always referred to myself as Deaf. I rememeber some posters saying that they ID as Deaf in some situtions and hoh in others.
So you're saying the hoh folks you know tend to be teh HLAA types of people? Meaning very pro cure and pretty much interested only in Hearing Health sorts of things? Maybe it's a regional thing. The people around here who are like that ID as hearing impaired.
PFH, do the people who you know ID as deaf have hoh losses?
HHIssues, it's an ATTIUDE thing. Hearing impaired really is more of a label for the hearing health type of person It's like wheelchair bound (oh I want a cure, oh I hate using a wheelchair, Oh I'm a helpless cripple and I hate using a wheelchair ) vs the Disabilty rights wheelchair user (using a wheelchair gives me FREEDOM, I like being a chair user, there's nothing wrong with disabilty. Attitudes are the REAL disabilty)

I know some people who have like 55db loss proclaim they're Deaf. They can speak and such, but refuse to interpret, etc..

I don't know many "HLAA" people. I know a few, but we don't talk. Chemistry isn't there.

HHIssues, it's an ATTIUDE thing. Hearing impaired really is more of a label for the hearing health type of person It's like wheelchair bound (oh I want a cure, oh I hate using a wheelchair, Oh I'm a helpless cripple and I hate using a wheelchair ) vs the Disabilty rights wheelchair user (using a wheelchair gives me FREEDOM, I like being a chair user, there's nothing wrong with disabilty. Attitudes are the REAL disabilty)
Ok, how about it's "great to be able to hear better...!". How's that for an attitude?

Ok, how about it's "great to be able to hear better...!". How's that for an attitude?

I myself will stick with "it's great not to have to hear all that disgusting noise!"

I was hoh. Never was considered "hearing-impaired". Parents would never allow that title to be applied to me. Now I am Deaf/deaf. can't hear a "tinker's toot". God, I love it!

PFH, LOL.....yes it just reinforces my theory that you can have hoh losses and yet still be VERY Deaf. You don't have to be voice off profoundly deaf unaided to be Deaf!
HHI, you can be Deaf and still want to hear better. A lot of us who have hoh losses LOVE our hearing aids/CIs... but we don't find that incompatible with being Deaf.

@ Candybrowneyes :gpost:

@ PFH (swoons - Mah Heeroh) ala Scarlett O'Hara jk
Great job there.

I was hoh. Never was considered "hearing-impaired". Parents would never allow that title to be applied to me. Now I am Deaf/deaf. can't hear a "tinker's toot". God, I love it!
Sometime it's some of the deaf that wants to be called hearing-impaired, not just the parents.

Back