Intervenors for the DeafBlind

i'm not exactly sure what's intervenor. are they intervening something? Why aren't they called interpreter instead of intervenor?

Educate me, Bucket!
did you watch the video in post 1?

Hear again... I am tired of trying to fight them. They are too hard.

TT, please don't give up. I know it is energy-consuming and especially emotionally draining for you.

You need to stand firm on your two feet and fight for your basic human rights to communication & accessibility.

For the college to deny you your own SSP, kindly remind them that they must adhere by the ADA laws.

To violate the ADA laws, they are violating your basic human rights to communication and accessibility.

TT, hang in there and always remember it does get better.

PM me or HearAgain if you prefer for support.

90 Love!!

Thanks for sharing the inspirational video. It takes great talent to learn a whole different language in the deafblind community. A HOH friend of mine was so much better at this than me. I am very, very awkward maybe, one day I will overcome that fear.

TT, please don't give up. I know it is energy-consuming and especially emotionally draining for you.

You need to stand firm on your two feet and fight for your basic human rights to communication & accessibility.

For the college to deny you your own SSP, kindly remind them that they must adhere by the ADA laws.

To violate the ADA laws, they are violating your basic human rights to communication and accessibility.

TT, hang in there and always remember it does get better.

PM me or HearAgain if you prefer for support.

90 Love!!

Thank you a ton, i tried a lot... But "Texas is different." well... Texas SUCKS *sorry* I think i'm going to continue self teaching sign language to myself, and hopefully i can do something.

Mrs bucket.

Thank you for sharing this with us. I'd like to learn how to do with hands. They are so good at it. i wonder is there any deaf intervenors out there? I do not remember what was it called but during my college years. The deaf intervenors did work with deafblind students who were in my class. I have never seen hearing intervenors until this videos. I believe that program is the excellent communication for everyone.

this is inspiring!

mrs bucket- did the ontario government recently announce that there was funding for intervenors?

Hear again... I am tired of trying to fight them. They are too hard.

Just a word of encouragement. I know how difficult it can be, and how exhausting it can be. See if you can find an advocate in your area to help you with the fight. There are a lot of disability service offices, to my great shame, that make it hard so students do give up. If you give up, it lets them off the legal hook. Don't let them do that to you.

Thank you a ton, i tried a lot... But "Texas is different." well... Texas SUCKS *sorry* I think i'm going to continue self teaching sign language to myself, and hopefully i can do something.

Texas is as obligated to follow federal law as any other state. Don't let them pull that one on you!

Voice over is not much use to me. Could someone do a transcription of this vidio blog please?

Texas is no different than any other state. Everyone needs to comply with the ADA regardless of where one lives.

Mrs Bucket,

I watched the video earlier this afternoon and am very, very impressed! Thanks again for sharing this with us! :)

dreama - I will try my best to type the YouTube commentary, give me a day if you can.

The video is 10 minutes long. It may take me an hour to press stop and play on the video to type all the commentary. It's only fair enough that everyone is able to read/view this wonderful video.

Give me a day, ok? Thanks. :)

He can't see the video because he is blind.

He can't hear it because he's deaf. He needs a written transcript in text form so he can read it with screen reader device (sorry if I mis-named it, I can't think of what the official term is for the life of me.)

I'll try to transcribe the captions for you dreama in my next post.

Here is a text transcript for dreama:

[SARAH]I am only one but stil I am one I cannot do everyting bust sitlI cna do something because I cannot do everything I will not refuse
to do something I can do.

And to me that just means I can't change the world.I can't do everything on my own. But just knoweing I can impact someone's life. even if its just one persons in a positive way.
that gieve meaning to my life and what I do. and who Sarah is as a person and not just an interv
enor.

[music]If you don't know me then I'll know you.[music]

[Nancy Mactivish]The word intervention actually implies linking or liasioning the deafblind population to the world that is sight and hearing.

[Betty Jean Reid]Ther really something to be said about making a difference in another person's life.

[deafblind man]If every intervenor worked 8 hours a day I'd wan't two intevenors everyday.

[Betty Jean Reid] Intervenors do with and not for. That's one thing that's really important for an intervenor to realize. With more intervention an individual is more independent because they now have more information. they an make their own decision, no one else is making decisions for them. Even if it's something as simple as going to the grocery store and realizing there are three choices of crackers and not just one. And intervenor allows an individual to make choices. An intervenor allows an individual to reach their
greatest level of independence.

[Elio Riggillo signing in ASL] Intervenors are important for me for communication for guiding. If I don't have any intervenors there's no communication. Nobody can communicate with me. With an intervenor, oh, yeah, there's communication. We can be comfortable. There's some give and take in a conversation. I can travel. I can see different things. Whatever. Emergency situations, I wouldn't know what to do. Any information. Otherwise, I'm oblivious, I don't know. My family, my parents, my cousins, all sorts of different relatives, they don't really communicate. They're very limited, very basic signing. But my wife, she is an intervenor. But, I don't like to have to depend on her. She needs to be independent too. And I have three children. I don't want to have to rely on them. So if I have an intervenor that can come with me, I can communicate with my family, my relatives, socialize at family functions. If there's a family get-together with relatives and I don't have an intervenor, they're not patient with me. They're very awkward with their signing. They prefer to hurry and talk fast and just carry on. But I need them to talk slowly, write things out, long stories. It's just - it's frustrating. It's not comfortable. If there's an intervenor, then it's normal conversation, normal flow of conversation back and forth. It's really good. I'm Deaf-blind. But intervention means independence for me. With intervention I' on an even par with anyone else. I borrow the eyes and the ears of the intervenor, and then I become independent.

[NANCY MACTAVISH] Deafblind people are people too, and they can experience everything that we experience and we can't be closed-minded about that. So if someone wants to try something, there's going to be a way. You've got to learn to think outside the box. So if someone says to me, I hear that there's this new thing, inline skating, and I'd really like to try it, so you try and think of a way that that person can then try and a do that. I would phone say the museum in Toronto, and I would say, I want to being this group of deafblind people. The museum would say, well, why would you do that? They can't touch anything here. But the idea is that this group of people can experience everything we can, and we'll just find a way.

[music singing] We will find a way to reach you. If you don't know me, I'll stil know you. I shout out.

[CHERYL RAMEY] Intervention and intervenors are making a huge difference in the lives of people that are deafblind. When an intervenor is working they're often working one-on-one with one individual at a time. And people say that one person can't make a difference, but one person can make a huge difference for that one individual who's deafblind.

[NAZAR STREJKO through intervenor THOMAS GAFFNEY] For me, intervention service is very important. If I didn't have help, what could I do? If I didn't have intervenors then I would stay home and not be able to do anything.

[KAREN ESMAIL signing in ASL] I feel that there's not enough help. I feel that when you have a good intervenor, then the deaf-blind person is able to improve and to grow.

[AMY-LOU HAY speaking] She's definitely changed as a person. She's grown over even just the last year. She can now indicate that she needs to go to the bathroom, which is a huge step for her parents because before I man this kid was in diapers and couldn't tell her parents that she needed to go to the bathroom. And now she's able to do that. And her parents were just so thrilled that there is communication there and that they can communicate with their daughter and that this girl is very bright. She just need the tools and the mode of communication to get what she knows out so there's a lot of people that just think she's deafblind; she's not going to be a person in the community that's going to be productive. But she really is. So intervention definitely provides the tool for children, not only children with deafblindness but adults, to be able to contribute to their world by making statements that they would not otherwise be able to make had they not had the right communication tools.

[NANCY MACTAVISH]: You're constantly looking for what is visual, what am I hearing, what is this group missing. Anything you hear on the radio or the television, you have to bring that information to these people who are cut off from that. You take those life experiences, and you enrich the lives of people who are deafblind.

[ther's music playing and a screen comes up with the text YOU CAN over a white background the text changes to MAKE A DIFFERENCE]

[CHERYL RAMEY]: George Brown College is the only college in the world that provides a two year diploma for individuals to learn to be intervenors for deafblind perons. I think the exciting part of the field of deafblindness, especially at this point in time, is that there is such a need for intervenors and opportunities for graduate students to work in a variety of areas. This is a very positive time to be coming into this field.

[BETTY-JEAN REID]: The main focus in the two year program is communication because that's the main role of the intervenor.

[ELIO RIGGILLO]: I work here at GBC. I'm teaching all the students how to communicate, how it's really important for a deaf-blind person. If there's no intervention, that means the deaf-blind person is alone. There's no communication happening. I explain to them that I have Usher Syndrome, that I'm a Deaf-blind person, and all the intervenors are learning from me. They learn about different deafblindness, different communication, how it varies. I'm a signer. I use ASL. So students need to figure out my needs and then match my needs as future intervenors. So it's really important that I'm teaching them.

[CHERYL RAMEY]: I think the placement component is very, very important and critical to their learning, where they have an opportunity to take the knowledge they're learning in the classroom and put it in place with a variety of individuals that are deafblind.

[CHANTAL KOTYK, student]: In my situation I'm placed at a school where I'm working one-on-one with a boy who I feel I have had a great impact on and it's just amazing to see the gradual progression that intervention has made in his life.

[CHRIS PESCE, parent of ANDREW PESCE, deafblind boy in chair]: We've seen a significant improvement in Andrew's capabilities since he's had an intervenor at school. He's done a lot more tasting and his capabilities of reaching out for his switches has been significantly improved since he's been at school. It's something that we just haven't had time to do. Intervenors have been a godsend to us.

[CHANTAL KOTYK]: Intervenors are needed in the deafblind community. We have the ability to make a huge impact on somebody's life and allow them to experience things that they wouldn't otherwise be able to experience. Being their eyes and their ears and helping them communicate and interact with community.

[SONIA LIGHTFOOT]: We need more intervenors. There aren't enough to go around. This program has just opened my eyes when I see the challenges that people work with every day and still the accomplishments that they make. I can't help but be inspired. It's the most rewarding thing that I could ever hope to do.

[CHANTAL KOTYK]: Interventio is going to be the most rewarding career I can ever imagine because not only am I doing something that's bettering my life, but I'm bettering somebody else's life.

[ANDY VARTANIAN] I'm enjoying going to school. Out of every other program that I've gone into, I feel that this one wil be the most rewarding one for me. I feel like I'm making a difference. It's just so rewarding to know that we can provide them with the information that they need, giving them the chande to life a great life, to live a normal life.

[SARAH DARLUCIO]: By me pursuing my dreams of helping other people I'm enabling them to reach their dreams and to reach their goals.

[BETTY-JEAN REID]: Intervention is so important because intervenors are the eyes and the ears for someone who is deafblind.

[music plays in the background, clips of various deafblind persons and their intervenors communicating are shown]

[ELIO RIGGILLO]: They think that deaf-blind means that you can't, you can't, you can't do anything. And that's not true. With intervention, I can do.

[ANNA WOLFGRAM, intervenor]: I just love my job. It's the most rewarding thing. I just go to work everyday with a big smile on my face, and I come home with a big smile because everyday is challenging.

[BETTY-JEAN REID]: There may not be a lot of professions in this world that can make a lot of difference. Intervention is a profession that can make a difference. In the intervenor program you will make a difference. We're going to make a differnce. We make a difference. It is absolutely amazing how much this program has affected my life.

[music keeps playing in background while various video clips are shown]

screeen fades to white background with black text that reads MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

[music singer] I shout out. I shout out.

screen fades to white background with black text saying INTERVENTION

[narrator]: You will be entering a rewarding profession.

music and screen fade out to the GEORGE BROWN COLLEGE banner.

end of movie.

Back