Intervenors for the DeafBlind

Mrs Bucket

Reaction score
[yt]XkfhCHt8R5o[/yt]

This is the wonderful program for the DeafBlind community here in Canada.

Currently it is the first and the largest program in Canada for the DeafBlind. I really advocate this program & will be going to this college as well.

[HearAgain, this video has voiceover and is 10 minutes long.]

This video gave me goose bumps. What a wonderful program, and what a great priviledge for you to be a part of it.

typingtornado, you can be an intervenor for the deafblind although you are blind yourself.

When I'm with my DB friends, I do intervene for them with what remaining sight I have. They do know I cannot do it for so long. I'll tactile to them what the hearing person says & will interpret for them.

I'll also guide for them but lately I don't do that anymore because I don't trust myself after I've had a near-accident.

There are a lot of DB people that do rely on intervenors and their motto is "do with, not for", just love that motto.

Several of the people in the video I work with when I advocate disability rights and they're the heroes/heroines I speak of all the time.

Big hugs to you jillio!!

i'm not exactly sure what's intervenor. are they intervening something? Why aren't they called interpreter instead of intervenor?

Educate me, Bucket!

I love that motto as well, Mrs. B. It is so empowering. It reminds me of the one I have on my office wall that says, "Nothing for us without us."

i'm not exactly sure what's intervenor. are they intervening something? Why aren't they called interpreter instead of intervenor?

Educate me, Bucket!

Ma bahala! [Hausa for no worries!]

For the Deaf person, an interpreter is their ears.

For the DeafBlind person, an intervenor is their ears and eyes.

Growing up culturally Deaf, I've always used interpreters until I had my first intervenor. Wow! A big difference between both. The interpreter will sign what the doctor says and translates back to the doctor what I say, that's it.

Intervenor will sign everything what is going on. Picture this, I enter the doctor's office with the nurse and the intervenor. I sit down and the nurse asks me question.

The intervenor faces me across the room.

Intervenor signs.. "nurse type , type type."
"Baby cry in room next door."
Intervenor prompts me.. "nurse.. Patty.. how long have you been ill?"
I reply.. "few days"
Intervenor "few days"
Intervenor "nurse type type type"
Intervenor "nurse nose stuffy, sound like cold"
Intervenor " Oh door knock, doctor voice say Hi Patricia"

You can see the huge difference between the interpreter and intervenor. This is why I advocate for intervenors for the DeafBlind, they are literally important to us.

They empower us to be independent which is why I dislike asking hubby to intervene for me. He's my husband, not my guide or my intervenor.

typingtornado, you can be an intervenor for the deafblind although you are blind yourself.

When I'm with my DB friends, I do intervene for them with what remaining sight I have. They do know I cannot do it for so long. I'll tactile to them what the hearing person says & will interpret for them.

I'll also guide for them but lately I don't do that anymore because I don't trust myself after I've had a near-accident.

There are a lot of DB people that do rely on intervenors and their motto is "do with, not for", just love that motto.

Several of the people in the video I work with when I advocate disability rights and they're the heroes/heroines I speak of all the time.

Big hugs to you jillio!!

For right now i cant. I had to stop taking sign language because i didn't have enough remaining sight, and the school would not provide a tactile terp. :(

:ty: :ty: Bucket for education! the world "Intervenor" sounds a bit weird to me for DB interpreter-role because that name implies intervention. But other than that... yep now I see the world of difference. What I can related to that is... having closed captioning in tv describing all sounds such as "leaves rustling...." and "woman screaming in background".

:applause: for intervenor program! I now join your cause! :cool2:

Mrs Bucket,

Thanks for letting me know the video has voice-over. I'll listen to it when I have time today. Thanks for posting the link! I wish we had intervenors here in the U.S. They are sorely needed.

:ty: :ty: Bucket for education! the world "Intervenor" sounds a bit weird to me for DB interpreter-role because that name implies intervention. But other than that... yep now I see the world of difference. What I can related to that is... having closed captioning in tv describing all sounds such as "leaves rustling...." and "woman screaming in background".

:applause: for intervenor program! I now join your cause! :cool2:

Here in the U.S. intervenors are called SSPs (special support providers).

Educate me, Bucket!

An intervenor/SSP not only facilitates communication for a deafblind person, but they also describe the environment in terms of what is heard and seen. Tactile terps do this as well, but not to the same extent.

Did you file a complaint with your school's disability office?

I agree with HearAgain because you have a right to an SSP.

In Canada we have a right to an intervenor as much as you have a right to an SSP.

I really urge you to consider an SSP.

Mrs.Bucket, i will view the video once i get home later. I just learn something about what you just explained it to Jiro. That's so neat.

Hey, blame on aghori, according to his post got me laugh. I would love to see what the intervenor gives the deep details. Same idea for the interpreter. ha ha

yes, :ty: all for knowledge on intervenor, SSP, tactile terp and differences thereof, I am glad to know this! Equal access is so important for everyone!

Back