Interpreting Test Prep

weegrace

Reaction score
Looking for materials (other than the RID's materials) to prep for the written and performance exams. Would you please suggest some materials for me to use? Thanks! :wave:

Which test are you taking? If you are taking RID stick with their materials and recommended books, good luck!

Which test are you taking? If you are taking RID stick with their materials and recommended books, good luck!

Thanks! After posting this question I actually found another thread from last fall (I think) where you suggested the same thing to another person asking. I got the reference list from the RID site and all the materials I think I need. I live in Missouri but may take the test in Kansas. Kansas now uses the national test. I could take the MO test which they say is easier and I could work in KS or MO (KS doesn't accept the MO exam), but I decided to bite the bullet and try to go all the way. At least for now. I'm a little nervous about it bec I've been out of a signing environment for almost 4 yrs now. I stopped teaching in a residential school to stay at home with my kids. :ty:

Anyway....thanks for the advice, past and present. I found it to be very helpful. Any other tips I'd appreciate!

I didn't know there was an easier test? I thought the written exam was ALL the same?

Performance you mean is easier? Filling me in what I don't know LOL

I didn't know there was an easier test? I thought the written exam was ALL the same?

Performance you mean is easier? Filling me in what I don't know LOL

From what I was told each state can use a different test. MO uses a test that only measures your performance to a level 3. If you want to meet a 4 or 5 you have to take the test again later for a higher level. I'm not sure how the written exam is different. The Kansas exam is the national exam now. Apparently they used to use a different test but now it is the national one. So I was told that the MO exam is "easier" and I may pass soon her than the KS exam. Make any sense. I don't think I misunderstood. I'm still so new at interpreting I'm not even sure what the name of the exams are. I'm still mixing up all the letters, RID NIC CI etc...... :giggle:

I am confused?Which test are you taking?

I thought it was a national test?

In Cali we use a national test.

I took the EIPA (Education Interpreters Performance Assessment) test and I got a 4.3 (out of 5).

In MO the Missouri Interpreters Certification System (MICS) is a screening system used to certify sign language interpreters within the state. It has a written test and a performance test. In Kansas they use the RID National Interpreter Certification exam. I live in Kansas City so it is six of one half dozen of the other in where I could work. KS doesn't recognize the MO test. But KS certification has reciprocity. I was told the MO test would be the "easier" path to go, only because the RID test is so difficult. Does that make any more sense? So I'm biting the bullet and taking the RID test and hoping I don't fail.

Yes, the explaination is much more clear than the first post bec you mentioned only RID not the other state exams:ty:

If your taking the RID best wishes to you , there is no easier way to get around it, its ALL the same nationwide.

EIPA is now recognized under RID. If you go to their website it will explain it more depth.

Its okay, its all squared away now :)

Which exam will you be taking RID written or state certification performance?

NIC prep materials

As an interpreter trainer, I do not care for the RID materials...especially the practice DVD. The ethical questions are ambiguous to say the least. Similar to "the sky is blue, what is the conflict?" If you haven't been able to find the conflict in any of those situations, you are not alone! The DVD is good for getting an idea as to the test's look and feel. For that it is awesome! But just don't look at the ethical scenarios and freak out cuz you can't answer them or apply any of the tenets. Don't let that discourage you from taking the test.

I've been training interpreters on this test. I'm more than happy to help anyone who needs it! I have been presenting for the last 2 years and have helped MANY terps pass the NIC...including 13 NIC MASTERS!! I make it a point to be one of those interpreters who HELPS and ENCOURAGES colleagues...not tear them down and backstab them. Hopefully I'm starting a trend in the cities I've already presented in. If you want to get in touch with me, keep an eye on my site. It should be up in about a week. Doing minor revisions at this point but hang in there. LOL!!

Sign Language ASL Interpreting, Interpreter Assessments and Professional Development

Thanks!

Back