Interpreting Likes and Dislikes

BookTard

Reaction score
Hi!
So what are some things you like and dislike about being an interpreter?
Also, how about the schooling/education to become one? Was it difficult? Where are some good programs?
Any advice for an aspiring interpreter?

Hi!
So what are some things you like and dislike about being an interpreter?
Also, how about the schooling/education to become one? Was it difficult? Where are some good programs?
Any advice for an aspiring interpreter?

Well, I am currently in between training, but will continue this Fall. However, I have sometimes wound up in a situation where I was the only one available to interpret. Only once have I actually had time to prepare for the event, and that was because I had just started helping in the Deaf ministry at my church and they decided I was ready to do the music section of the service. I don't really like having little time to prepare unless the situation is already familiar to me.

Most of my likes tend toward what I do as I am still in training, generally in Deaf events and the like. Getting to experience life in a community of people who see, feel, and appreciate life in a way that is very different from how I see, feel, and appreciate life is constantly reminding me that while I am part of the community, it is a privilege, and not a right.

I guess the opportunity and challenge of gaining the trust of the Deaf community is one of my greatest likes in this.

Back