Interpreting Books/Materials for Working Terps?

jrsysure76

Reaction score
I have been interpreting in the elementary schools for a few years. I feel my signing skills/ASL have went down. Can anyone recommend me some good books/materials so I can improve my skills, so I might transition to upper level/VRS interpreting? I want to develop my ASL and vocabulary, since elementary level is very english, slow paced, and limited vocabulary. Thanks.

I recommend take an ASL class. There is only so much to learn from a book or DVD. Best to socialize with the deaf community.

i am teacher to ASL really pretty support to group home. I hope courage to you.. I am glad of you.. I am proud of someone is learn more improve sign language.. :)

I know interpreters who have used the Signs of Development WWWorkshops. If you google it, you should be able to find information on skill building workshops. Also, it would be a great idea to socialize as much as possible with Deaf adults in your area. See if there is a Deaf club or bowling night that you could attend. This would help strengthen your conversational skills and your vocabulary.
Another thought is utilizing DCMP. You can google that as well.
Good luck!

The VISTA Signing Naturally series are great if you are self-motivated. You're best resource is the local Deaf community, as was mentioned before.

Back