Interpreter want to be

lmiddle07

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently taking ASL classes and the school that I attend is closing the ITP. Hopefully we will be able to save the program, but if not, I plan to do all I can do myself to become a qualified Interpreter. I do attend many Deaf events and I do enjoy every bit of it. However, interpreting skills and communicating using ASL is different. If you are in the ITP, during your last semester, the student does clinical hours where they are able to practice interpreting in a real setting with the aid of a certified Interpreter. This gives them on the job practice and immediate feedback. Currently I am taking ASL IV and Pre-Interpreting. I have taken Deaf Culture, Deaf ED, Fingerspelling... ect. From my understanding, if you are not in ITP, you can not do this. So my question is, how can I effectively improve in my interpreting skills.?

Real life interpreting is nothing like trying to interpret something on videotape. I've taken two semesters of terp classes, but stumbled horribly during job interviews when I tried to do something simple.

Practice makes perfect. Try interpreting conversations at school or the food court for the newbies. Going to a Deaf event can be terrifying for an ASL 1 or 2 student. Some never go again. Another idea is interpreting a few minutes of the local news or your favorite TV show.

Try volunteering at DeaFestival 10. I went to DF 2008 and didn't realize there were that many Deaf/HoH in KY. Good luck with your studies.

Thanks for the advice. I attended Deaf Feastival 08. I was impressed! I actually worked in a booth that the ASL and ITP students had from UofL. We were getting the word out that the program was closing and we were asking people to sign up on our list if they were interested in taking Sign Language classes. I loved the performances that were there. I attend many Deaf Events and I really enjoy myself. We have a wonderful Deaf Community here. They are patient with us students and because they like to have fun, we have really enjoyable Events here. I do practice interpreting TV shows, however I always sign English when I do that. :(

I suggest taking a silent weekend or simply an Interpreter Performance Assessment (to see where you stand now). I recommend the silent weekend, since you go out with others who know ASL for a weekend and do nothing but sign. Another cool thing is to go out with deaf friends and interpret for them.

You need to know where you're at right now. That's why I suggested an Interpreter's Performance Assessment. This will show you how well you're doing and how much you need to improve.

I am a certified EIPA interpreter.

Thanks for the advice. I attended Deaf Feastival 08. I was impressed! I actually worked in a booth that the ASL and ITP students had from UofL. We were getting the word out that the program was closing and we were asking people to sign up on our list if they were interested in taking Sign Language classes. I loved the performances that were there. I attend many Deaf Events and I really enjoy myself. We have a wonderful Deaf Community here. They are patient with us students and because they like to have fun, we have really enjoyable Events here. I do practice interpreting TV shows, however I always sign English when I do that. :(

I was told about a test that we have here that I can take to see where I am, however, I know where I am - I suck! No, actually I am only on level 4 in ASL - so hey what can you expect? I have some ways to go. I'm going to give myself a year before I take the assestment test to see where I am. I've never heard of a Silent Weekend, so I am definetely going to try to find one that I can attend. Thanks for your feedback, I truly appreciate it.

Where are you located? I'm just wondering which program is possibly shutting down. I hope it's not Bloomsburg (again).

No, the program is based in Eatern Kentucky University. They have a satellite program that is at Univertiy of Louisville until May, then it closes.

No, the program is based in Eatern Kentucky University. They have a satellite program that is at Univertiy of Louisville until May, then it closes.

EKU closing their program :shock: I had not heard that.

Can you relocate or commute to Cincinnati State or Sinclair in southern Ohio?

EKU closing their program :shock: I had not heard that.

Can you relocate or commute to Cincinnati State or Sinclair in southern Ohio?

Sinclair has one of the best programs in the state and feeds into a program at Wright State if you want to complete a Bachelor Degree.

EKU isn't closing their program that is located at EKU. EKU had an ITP set up at UofL and that is closing. They will continue to have their original program at EKU. EKU only accepts students every 2 years and UofL accepted new students every year. And of course there are more Deaf people in the city of Louisville than Richmond. I will have to check out those other schools. However, going to a school outside of Louisville is slim to none. I am a full time wife and mother of three that live in the household and a Supervisor at a company that I have been at for 9 yrs. Plus, I feel that the city of Louisville have a responsibility to the Deaf Community. They are very much ignorant to the ADA law and amongst a whole list of other things. My plan is to be a constant, present support as long as the Deaf Community allows me to be.

Sinclair has one of the best programs in the state and feeds into a program at Wright State if you want to complete a Bachelor Degree.

I went to Sinclair and it was AMAZING. i loved it there!!!!

I am at Wright State now and don't like it near as much... their ASL program is lacking compared to SCC.

Back