Inspiring video

SimplyKiddo

Reaction score
This video just blew me away; very emotional and expressive.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7X_X1zdH8k]YouTube - Deaf Girl Learns to Play Violin[/ame]

Just sad that they didn't make something more of it.

Well Professor, she is new and hearing. We must give a small break for that.

(By the way OP I believe it is a shampoo commercial, and we don''t really learn to play the violin. Except someone who is HOH might.)

True. It's a pantene commercial. I think it does show deafness in a good light though. I loved the line when the girl asked "why am I different from others" and the wise old man responded "why must you be the same as others"

Oh ok, I didn't know that this had already been posted. Should I do anything then?
I'm sorry, I'm still new, both on forums and here :Oops:

Oh ok, I didn't know that this had already been posted. Should I do anything then?
I'm sorry, I'm still new, both on forums and here :Oops:

Just relax , go read the FAQ and don't worry. Keep at it, and everything will go well,

Well Professor, she is new and hearing. We must give a small break for that.

(By the way OP I believe it is a shampoo commercial, and we don''t really learn to play the violin. Except someone who is HOH might.)

Hey, who is this kind-to-the-newbies Bott???? What have you done with the real Bott!????? :D

I like that this commercial is showing deafness in a positive light. But what I don't like is that you need to be able to hear the music for it to make an impact, so it's really geared towards hearing (and HoH) people. (As Botts points out, very few deaf people are interested in learning to play the violin. But if you are deaf and do want to play the violin, hey more power to you!)

Since it's a commercial, I'm not surprised or even annoyed that it appropriates deafness and ties it to a completely unrelated object for profitable gain (hair, shampoo... deafness? riiiggghhtt.) Commercials are always doing that. It's just a rhetorical trick, and I take it with a grain of salt.

Don't worry, OP. You haven't done anything wrong. Just do a search first next time. There's already a LOT of stuff on this site related to deafness. ;)

Thank you. I'll be sure to do that next time.
And I agree, it was a bit funny to see how the video had nothing to do with the commercial (not to mention all the money that probably went into it...looked like something out of a movie).

Back