Inquiry into deaf man, hearing dog 'kicked off bus'

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
AdelaideNow... Inquiry into deaf man, hearing dog 'kicked off bus'

THE state's largest public bus operator, Torrens Transit, is investigating claims a deaf man and his hearing dog were attacked by an angry bus driver.

Vladimir Jurcik, 57, who is deaf because of a brain injury sustained during an assault 10 years ago, said the driver of a 102 bus to Hectorville refused to allow him to board in the city with his Lions hearing dog last Friday afternoon.

Mr Jurcik has been the victim of a previous incident, on November 14, 2005, when a Torrens Transit driver failed to open the doors to allow him and his dog, Roxy, to board.

In that case, Mr Jurcik received a written apology from Torrens Transit, which in a January 30, 2006 letter, said it would reissue and post in depots "a number of notices regarding access rights to, and recognition of, hearing dogs accompanying deaf or hearing impaired persons".

But Mr Jurcik said he was shocked to again be the victim of discrimination by a Torrens Transit driver and claimed he and his dog were physically assaulted after trying to board a bus last Friday at a stop outside the Royal Adelaide Hospital on North Tce.

"The driver would not let me on and kept saying `no dogs on the bus'," Mr Jurcik said. "But I held up the leash which said it was a hearing dog. He still refused to open the doors."

Mr Jurcik told the driver through a window that he had an official card showing the dog was registered as a Lions hearing dog.

The card clearly states: "It is permitted by law in all states and territories to go anywhere that is open to the public, including public transport and restaurants. There are severe penalties for denying access."

After the driver opened the door to allow Mr Jurcik to present the card, his dog followed him.

"But the driver got up and started physically kicking the dog with his foot to get him off the bus," he said.

After an altercation, Mr Jurcik said the driver then threw him off the bus, followed him out and "tried to smash my head into a post".

He claims the driver then kicked him in the face as he bent over, knocking him almost unconscious.

Although SA Police attended, no action has been taken. Mr Jurcik said he was treated at the RAH for concussion then discharged.

Torrens Transit managing director Neil Smith yesterday said the driver had been given some time off while the company conducted an internal investigation.

He said the closed circuit television camera in the bus was not working.

Mr Smith said several witnesses had told "completely contradictory descriptions of what happened".

Do these transit drivers receive no training at all? This is ridiculous. And it has happened twice to this poor man. I bet if the transit company starts beign charged with fines for these violations, the drivers will start to receive proper training. And the driver who assaulted this man and his dog needs to be charged with crininal assault.

I hope the man with the hearing dog did press charge. It is wrong of the bus driver do that. I would say it is burtal to kick an animal. I would put a lawsuit against him for kicking my dog (if I have one) and me.

My god!

This shows the attitudes from the general hearing society has of us, deaf people.

That is what Beinevue is referring to when comparing to the Holocaust in that one video. Deaf people are still being abused and disregarded like trash even in today's society!

That is disgusting. Pressing charges through the police department won't accomplish as much as a good lawyer and filing a lawsuit. Quite a few laws were broken if the story is true (and sadly it sounds like too many other stories we hear so it probably is true). To not only deny the man access to public transportation but to also deny the service dog access, assault the service dog, assault the man......just disgusting. It seems a bit too convenient that the cameras aren't working at such a time.

Please keep in mind that many, many deaf people cheat and buy coats for their mutts online and have official "papers" made up just so they can take their "PETS" every where they go. We have two deaf people right here in my community that do this. I know them personally!

I would be the first one to agree that this man discussed in this particular forum is not one of the cheaters, however, we must go after the crooked ones to make sure the bonafide hearing ear dog owners are allowed to use their trained canines.

"Carbon copies" can be dangerous! These phoney "Working" dogs have no professional training nor any proof that they are safe to the public. No one knows for sure even if they had had shots, etc. If you can fake one or two things, you can fake them all!

Lantana

Please keep in mind that many, many deaf people cheat and buy coats for their mutts online and have official "papers" made up just so they can take their "PETS" every where they go. We have two deaf people right here in my community that do this. I know them personally!

I would be the first one to agree that this man discussed in this particular forum is not one of the cheaters, however, we must go after the crooked ones to make sure the bonafide hearing ear dog owners are allowed to use their trained canines.

"Carbon copies" can be dangerous! These phoney "Working" dogs have no professional training nor any proof that they are safe to the public. No one knows for sure even if they had had shots, etc. If you can fake one or two things, you can fake them all!

Lantana

Lantana,

With all due respect, I think you need to consult what the ADA and the DOJ says about the training on hearing dogs, as it appears that you are misinformed. I would be offended if you said that to me about my hearing dog, especially since you know nothing about me or the training of my dog. You mentioned "professional" training; I think you need to refer to the ADA on that, too, as it is not required. I have trained my dog and, when she retires or needs to be replaced, I will train the next one by myself. By "Professional papers," you must mean "certification. Again, that is not required under the ADA. Agencies do that for their own trained animals; individual trainers like myself don't go to them for assistance, as we have no need to.

About 30 percent of the time, I do not have Snickers blaze orange cape on her, although I will have it put on when I feel like having her wear it. She knows that she's on duty at all times, but whether she wears it or not, people distract her, pet her, you name it. However, with that said, Snickers is better trained and behaved than 99.9 percent of the general population. You should see what people do around her and make themselves look silly, not to mention, sometimes putting themselves at risk for a dog bite. Fortunately, I trained her extensively so that the only time she bears her fangs is when I clip her nails, which she hates.

As for her being safe in public, Snickers is up-to-date on all her shots and so is her handler (me). :D Trust me, I've seen enough that makes me wonder if people leave their brains at home and forget to bring them along when out in public.

As for the "phoneys" you mentioned, how do you know they're phoneys? Do you know everything there is to know and then some about your friends who choose to have their dogs assist them while in public? I had a classmate tell me last semester, in so many words, that I wasn't deaf. The next class meeting, I showed her some information that totally disputed what she said and she stood corrected.

I would be honored to be with your friends and their hearing dogs in public, especially if they trained their own dogs. The ADA does not, thankfully, require an agency to train service and hearing dogs, which is a relief. I won't ever allow any agency or person to test my dog, as they have no right.

As for riding on the bus, I had one problem once and contacted the bus company and had the supervisor talk to the driver, as well as myself, when we reached our destination. I've driven bus myself, so I know what it looks like when a service dog comes on. Those dogs/animals are the best behaved of all the riders on the bus and I have welcomed them and their handlers. I suggest that you do the same.

Back