Info on STEM CELLS from scientific source

WHich ones can't they do?

Many. It is also dependent upon the source of the stem cell. Likewise, they have not been tested for replication and function in all areas, so it is completely unknown at this point what can be replicated, and to what degree it can be replicated.

Many. It is also dependent upon the source of the stem cell. Likewise, they have not been tested for replication and function in all areas, so it is completely unknown at this point what can be replicated, and to what degree it can be replicated.

Bummer, I was specifically hoping for information on the auditory nerve, and the retina.

Bummer, I was specifically hoping for information on the auditory nerve, and the retina.

The retina, at this point in the research, would be much easier to advance with stem cell research than the auditory nerve. The reason being that nerve damage is an extremely complicated condition...any nerve damage. Replication of tissues is not nearly as involved.

Didn't mean to bring you down, Bott!

The retina, at this point in the research, would be much easier to advance with stem cell research than the auditory nerve. The reason being that nerve damage is an extremely complicated condition...any nerve damage. Replication of tissues is not nearly as involved.

Didn't mean to bring you down, Bott!

It's ok. I am at least following a special good for the retina diet that Pinky sent me. :)

Stem cells can repair/replace/regenerate any cell in the body. This is why I am waiting for stem cells. Not only will it replace my missing hair cells in my ears, itll repair my auditory nerve. I suspect my auditory nerve isn't in great shape for the higher frequencies since it's been so long since I heard the highs. But im not worried if stem cells doesn't give me usable high frequency hearing. HearAgain hears better with 6 high frequency electrodes disabled. I can always try out transpositional HAs. Only 10% of speech information takes place above 2000Hz. Stem cells would also repair any other defects in my body besides improving my hearing. I could consider it a general health tuneup :cool2:

Anyway should be clarified.
Usually sensorineural hearing loss in most cases is because they have damaged or absent hair cells, ie inside the cochlea. Hearing loss is the cochlear nerve, and rarely is the auditory nerve that runs from the cochlea to the brain. If the auditory nerve is retrocochlear hearing loss is very rare. So I tend to think that the majority, a vast majority of cases of sensorineural hearing loss is damage to the hair cells in the cochlea. For example, I have sensorineural hearing loss, I did not have the nerve auditory evoked potential, what I did last week and showed that the nerve is well, that is the nerve that runs from the cochlea to the brain, the problem is in the cochlea in the hair cells. Then should be able to distinguish well what about when it comes to loss or nerve deafness sensorineural ...

“Nerve Deafness"

"About “Nerve Deafness"

Sensorineural hearing loss, also known as 'nerve deafness', typically occurs when part of the inner ear, the hair cells, are damaged or destroyed. Sensorineural hearing loss may have a variety of causes, such as heredity, aging, disease, infection, or loud noise.

Despite the term “nerve deafness,” the hearing nerve trunk is rarely damaged. Instead, damage most often occurs in the hair cells located in the cochlea, which serve to send information, in the form of electrical signals, to the hearing nerve. When hair cells are damaged, they are unable to send information to the hearing nerve and the person experiences hearing loss.

The degree of hearing loss depends on the number of hair cells that are damaged. If a significant number of hair cells are damaged, a person will experience severe or profound hearing loss, and hearing aids will not be able to help. In cases of severe-to-profound sensorineural hearing loss a cochlear implant may be medically indicated".
source: http://cochlearimplants.med.miami.edu/implants/01_About Nerve Deafness.asp

Anyway should be clarified.
Usually sensorineural hearing loss in most cases is because they have damaged or absent hair cells, ie inside the cochlea. Hearing loss is the cochlear nerve, and rarely is the auditory nerve that runs from the cochlea to the brain. If the auditory nerve is retrocochlear hearing loss is very rare. So I tend to think that the majority, a vast majority of cases of sensorineural hearing loss is damage to the hair cells in the cochlea. For example, I have sensorineural hearing loss, I did not have the nerve auditory evoked potential, what I did last week and showed that the nerve is well, that is the nerve that runs from the cochlea to the brain, the problem is in the cochlea in the hair cells. Then should be able to distinguish well what about when it comes to loss or nerve deafness sensorineural ...

Deafness resulting from damage to the 8th cranial nerve (the auditory nerve) is not rare at all. Sensorineural loss by virtue of it's very name, involves the auditory nerve. Sensor=sensory=nerve and neural=brain.

Deafness resulting from damage to the 8th cranial nerve (the auditory nerve) is not rare at all. Sensorineural loss by virtue of it's very name, involves the auditory nerve. Sensor=sensory=nerve and neural=brain.
This is not entirely correct. Sensorineural hearing losses are an ensemble of mulfunctions, involving the sensory structure (hairy cells for the most part, all the structure of the cochlea more generally) and/or the neural transmission of the signal to the brain. Actually the acoustic nerve transports the acoustic stimulation kept by the cochlear structures to the brain, it is not an actual part of the brain.
For the rest I agree, damage of the nerve is not so rare.

thanks for the information.
I still have doubt, there are pathologies of the inner ear. It is true that sensorineural hearing loss can affect the hair cells and could also be the auditory nerve, but there are a variety of information. For example, if affected the auditory nerve is retrocochlear hearing loss, depending on the internet that is usually less frequent, the most common is loss of hair cells in the cochlea. If for example you see that were affected by the rather limited retrocochlear hearing loss of cochlear implant operation, because what the cochlear implant is jumping and connect directly to the nerve. If you have affected the auditory nerve may well limit the functioning of the cochlear implant, which makes me think that the majority of auditory nerve implants should be able. That is, an exclusion criterion, I have read on the Internet, among other criteria, is the auditory nerve injury. Are doubts I have ...

"Hair cells from embryonic stem cells to cure deafness
文章来源:中国干细胞信息网点击数: Source: China Stem Cell Information Network hit number: 55 更新时间:2009-5-24 21:56:46 Update Time :2009-5-24 21:56:46
毛细胞损伤是造成耳聋的原因之一。 Deafness caused by hair cell injury is one of the reasons. 一般来说,医生会建议患者采用植入人造耳蜗的方法来治疗。 In general, doctors will recommend patients have cochlear implant artificial methods to treat. 日前,美国的科学家们为这些患者找到了另外的治疗选择方案——通过胚胎干细胞来培育毛细胞。 Recently, U.S. scientists have found for these patients additional treatment options - through the cultivation of embryonic stem cells to hair cells. 这一新的科学进展为某些种类的耳聋患者进入有声世界带来了希望。 This new scientific advances for patients with certain types of deafness into the sound of the world hope.
毛细胞是听觉的感受器,与内耳中如漩涡般盘曲的管状器官—— 耳蜗中的神经相连。 Hair cells are auditory receptors, and the inner ear, such as spiral-like twisting of the tube-shaped organ - the nerves connected to the cochlea. 声音从位于外耳道最里端的鼓膜传到耳蜗,引起充斥于其中的淋巴液的振动,毛细胞再把这种振动转化为电信号,通过听觉神经传达给大脑。 Voice from the inside in the ear canal side of the tympanic membrane reached the cochlea, causing flooding of the lymph in which the vibration of hair cells then the vibration into an electrical signal transmitted to the brain through the auditory nerve. 若毛细胞受损,便无法将冲动传至中枢,就会出现听力障碍。 If the hair cell damage, it can not be transmitted to the central impulse, there will be hearing loss. 经过筛选,可用于耳蜗修复的干细胞主要有以下几种:胚胎干细胞(embryo stem cells),造血干细胞(haematopoietic stem cells,HSCs),神经干细胞(neural stem cells,NSCs),骨髓间充质干细胞(mesenchymal stem cells,MSCs),多能成年祖细胞(multipotent adult progenitor cells,MAPCs)和内耳干细胞(inner ear stem cells)。 After screening, can be used for cochlear repair stem cells mainly in the following categories: embryonic stem cells (embryo stem cells), hematopoietic stem cells (haematopoietic stem cells, HSCs), neural stem cells (neural stem cells, NSCs), bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells (mesenchymal stem cells, MSCs), multipotent adult progenitor cells (multipotent adult progenitor cells, MAPCs) and inner ear stem cells (inner ear stem cells).
文章录入:胡医生 责任编辑:daifumd.hu Article entry: Dr. Hu Editor: daifumd.hu"
source: Google Traductor

Is there a reason you are posting in Chinese? It renders the information useless.

Is there a reason you are posting in Chinese? It renders the information useless.

appears in Chinese characters with the google translator, I do not know what goes well, I guess, to contrast with the translation. The translated message is understood, a miracle of google.

That's great? Mind if I ask about the diet? Lots of beta-carotine?

SOrry I missed this last night. It is simple to follow as separated basically into good and bad.This is not all you eat. It is just things you should try to eat lot and things you should avoid.

Good: Walnuts, Flaxseed, Olive oil, Canola oil, (these have Omega 3) Leafy green vegetables, Fish (especiallly oily fish).

Bad: Many eggs, Mayonaisse, Cheese, Beef, Pork,Lamb, Safflower oil, Sunflower oil, Corn oil , Soy oil. ( Those oils have more Omega 6.)

I don't know why you all have to be sooo obsessed in getting the stem cells because there is a risk to have stem cells to put into the nerves. It might be okay for late deafend but not for the deaf who was born that way. Why can we just have our body the way we have always been natural as we are born this way? If the late deafend want to hear again and take the risk to have stem cells, then that is their decision. I have already read all of the post but not some of the posts as I don't care for chinese google. Remember Michael Fox want to have stem cells to remove his nervous systems so that he can be normal again. He was not born that way. He just happen to have the disease just like Katherine Hepburn. He was turn down and not get stem cells. The society does not like the idea of using the babies for a stem cells. Anyway, anyone who want to have stem cells to cure deafness can dream on and will not happen for a very long time or will never have stem cells. Just get use to being deaf for the rest of your life. There is nothing wrong with being deaf. Okay? :roll:

SOrry I missed this last night. It is simple to follow as separated basically into good and bad.This is not all you eat. It is just things you should try to eat lot and things you should avoid.

Good: Walnuts, Flaxseed, Olive oil, Canola oil, (these have Omega 3) Leafy green vegetables, Fish (especiallly oily fish).

Bad: Many eggs, Mayonaisse, Cheese, Beef, Pork,Lamb, Safflower oil, Sunflower oil, Corn oil , Soy oil. ( Those oils have more Omega 6.)

Ahhh....thanks! I think I will try to incorporate this into my diet. I have had severe astigmatism since I was in 2nd grade, then also developed some near sightedness as a teen. Now, with age, some far sightedness, as well. Given that, I am concerned with keeping my eyes as healthy as possible as I age. My lenses already have 3 progressive corrections...I don't think they can fit many more in there, lol!

Giving up the cheese will be the hardest for me, but on the good list, I already consume a lot of those. I only eat red meat once a month or less, pork maybe twice a month. Canola and olive oil are all I use for cooking and salad dressings.

Ahhh....thanks! I think I will try to incorporate this into my diet. I have had severe astigmatism since I was in 2nd grade, then also developed some near sightedness as a teen. Now, with age, some far sightedness, as well. Given that, I am concerned with keeping my eyes as healthy as possible as I age. My lenses already have 3 progressive corrections...I don't think they can fit many more in there, lol!

Giving up the cheese will be the hardest for me, but on the good list, I already consume a lot of those. I only eat red meat once a month or less, pork maybe twice a month. Canola and olive oil are all I use for cooking and salad dressings.

Mmm. I'll have to keep this info in mind, Botts. I'm very near sighted though I don't have any eye disease atm. I'm trying to cut down on red meat. I tend to go overboard on walnuts. Feta and Parmesean cheese are the only cheese that I have. I have feta nearly everyday. Salmon is my favorite fish. I'm thinking I'll have fresh tuna Tuesday. I can't stand the canned kind; I feel like I'm eating cat food if I eat the canned kind. :P

I don't know why you all have to be sooo obsessed in getting the stem cells because there is a risk to have stem cells to put into the nerves. It might be okay for late deafend but not for the deaf who was born that way. Why can we just have our body the way we have always been natural as we are born this way? If the late deafend want to hear again and take the risk to have stem cells, then that is their decision. I have already read all of the post but not some of the posts as I don't care for chinese google. Remember Michael Fox want to have stem cells to remove his nervous systems so that he can be normal again. He was not born that way. He just happen to have the disease just like Katherine Hepburn. He was turn down and not get stem cells. The society does not like the idea of using the babies for a stem cells. Anyway, anyone who want to have stem cells to cure deafness can dream on and will not happen for a very long time or will never have stem cells. Just get use to being deaf for the rest of your life. There is nothing wrong with being deaf. Okay? :roll:

Nobody is saying that anything is wrong with being deaf. However, some of us have a desire to change things for ourselves. Each of us are entitled to feel the way we do. Same as for all the people who get CI's - they wanted to improve things for themselves and I'm glad for them. Why should we have to "just get used to being deaf for the rest of your life" if we choose not to?

Last edited:
Back