Info on STEM CELLS from scientific source

I never thought I will say this... but neuro...

I think you might be one of those folks that need to read: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Next-Michael-Crichton/dp/0060872985]Amazon.com: Next (9780060872984): Michael Crichton: Books[/ame]

And I wouldn't recommend this to anyone else... :shock: However given how you get easily hyped up, and write the way you do-- I think you might be one of those people that would enjoy that book.

Which is exactly why you need to stop promoting stem cells as a wide spread treatment for all deafness, and resrtict yourself to proven results on specific types of deafness and the many extraneous variables that must be considered.

Do you know what results? Do you know of cases of deafness treated, informed ...? You're talking about a case but not the others do not know if you know and you care

The answer to your first question is decidedly, "No." The standards are not the same, nor are the ethics guiding those standards the same. Therefore, reporting of any results must be viewed in light of that.

then ... "Obama is giving a green light unethical stem cell research? "Obama is unethical?

Do you know what results? Do you know of cases of deafness treated, informed ...? You're talking about a case but not the others do not know if you know and you care

I don't know what results are valid coming out of China, and neither do you. You don't have the published research papers to evaluate such. Neither do I. They are keeping them under wraps, and only reporting that which is biased toward the affirmative.

then ... "Obama is giving a green light unethical stem cell research? "Obama is unethical?

You, quite obviously, are again quoting a biased, non-scientific scource. But I would expect nothing less. You might want to educate yourself on research guidelines and medical ethics prior to making unsubstantiated claims.

Returned? Then it must have been normal at some point. Limits the possibility of candidates, doesn't it?
Exactly!!!! I gotta say.....I think that hair cell regeneneration is going to be benificial for people who fit a specific canidacy profile.....meaning late deafened people....It may benifit some people who were dhh as kids (eg postlingal or kids who lost their hearing around one or two)

stem cell transplantation??

deafdude or whoever wants to answer:

I have read ways to treat hearing loss with stem cells, I read in the forum beikecell that the method for the specific case that relates cell transplant is done, my question is, how it has nothing to do with injections? I mean, I understand that cell transplantation is to achieve in one place and move to another site. That is, move it to the cochlea or auditory nerve.
In the forum said: "we have stem cell transplantation autograft and allograft, according to the specific circumstances of the patient to develop a personalized transplantation program".
source: Google Traductor

Beike is trying to export to medical business a model which is typical of all the other productive industries: keeping the industrial secret, rather than publishing results and/or patents, and relying on heavy marketing campaign.
This is because they cannot attract patients with the fame of their medical tradition, experience of their MDs, etc., simply because they do not have a medical tradition and the best MDs are not working there.
Their real power is that they are a cheap country, for now...

I think this is a terribly wrong model, hope they do not export it...

Beike is trying to export to medical business a model which is typical of all the other productive industries: keeping the industrial secret, rather than publishing results and/or patents, and relying on heavy marketing campaign.
This is because they cannot attract patients with the fame of their medical tradition, experience of their MDs, etc., simply because they do not have a medical tradition and the best MDs are not working there.

Agreed. It is a model which creates increased risk for patients.

I don't even know why Kokonut tagged it as "ASL," "Gallaudet" or "NTID." The donation to the HEI got nothing to do with Deaf culture.

Either way, Rush is a free-man. A late-deafened individual. He can do whatever he wants with his money since he will only see it from a post-lingual point of view.

Well, he was examined by ABR and the diagnosis is 95db or worse. He gave no wave V response. Basically he is profoundly deaf in the frequency range covered by ABR (500-2500, more or less).

How high did the ABR test to? 90db HL maximum? He may have only 70db or even 50db loss at 250Hz. That would make a very big difference. I know a woman who has no hearing around 750Hz and above but her low frequency hearing is extremely good(10db at 250Hz and below, 50db at 500Hz) and she understands too much speech to qualify for CI. 60% of the speech information takes place at 500Hz and below. This is why I understand some speech with my audiogram.

Do not ask me how much gained was programmed in the HAs initially. Their idea is a number of programming session to gradually go up with amplification, to avoid bad reactions from him and the refusal of HAs (pretty common in small children). At the time of that audiogram, besides the amplification set, he reacted at that levels of stimulation. From that time the amplification has been increased significantly and we are going to have another audiogram in two weeks. I'll let you know! ;)

Taking it slow is fine as long as you reach the goal of as much amplification as he can tolerate up to the maximum. Id watch the SPL/MPO rather than too much gain. Will his new audiogram be both unaided and aided?

The left ear is already more amplified than the right one. It is almost to the limit of the HA.

And does he still hear better in the right ear? His left ear may be dead or nearly dead. If you ever decide on CI, the left ear is the one to be implanted, not much residual hearing left to lose.

I will share the new audiogram, which will represent closely his actual situation.
He actually is fitted with that specific model! He has Phonak Naida V UP jr.
They will try transposition once we will identify with certainty any cochlear dead zone... It is very difficult with so young children, they cannot explain how they hear...

Doesn't the psychoacoustic tuning curve(PTC) test give an objective measure? I know the TEN test is subjective but works on adults and older children.

No, he does not speak yet, besides some very simple words, mostly onomatopeic. He is (we are) doing speech therapy three times per week and slowly showing some improvements in the sound perception at the moment...
And you have no idea of the time we devote to him at home..

If he can learn to speak clearly and understand 80% with reading lips and has no problem communicating with others, would he still need a CI?

I know that. This is what push me towards considering CI. But I also know there are some people doing great with HAs and this cause my concerns...
Anyway, my impression (pure impression, no data) is that an average CI user can be comparable or better of the most of good-optimal HA users... You are a great performer, but you base your speech understanding on lipreading mostly.

Does it matter if one obtains speech by using their ears(listening) or using their eyes(lipreading) the information processed by the brain is the same. Both are vechles to input speech data to the brain. Both allow easy access to communication. Lipreading does have some limitations but we, the deaf are perfectly capable anyway! What are you expecting as an improvement over CI that the deaf aren't capable of? We are no worse than hearing people! Stem cells won't make me better, itll simply improve my hearing and allow my HAs to give me more access to sounds, consider it a convinence.

I know a woman, completely deaf, she does not use HAs at all, she relies completely on lipreading and she speaks perfectly. You cannot tell she is deaf until you try to call her when she is not looking at you.

That's because the deaf are just as capable as hearing people. The only difference is we lack the ability to hear which we easily make up elsewhere.

I mean, I know he can be perfectly happy with HAs, without, just signing, etc... I will love him anyway, he is my child and I think he is the most wonderful child in the world. I simply want to do my best for him. I am trying to have crystal clear idea before making any decision.

So why not wait for him to decide if he wants CI, stem cells, HAs or nothing? If you teach him how to speak clearly and read lips, it won't be "too late" to understand speech and speak. There are people born deaf who didn't hear much with HAs who got CI at 40 and understand speech as good as postlinguals with CI.

It is probable that he will really have the possibility to get stem cells in the future. Maybe he will be adult, but after all in 20 year he will be 22, still very young and that technology will be out at thet time probably... Fortunately it will be his own decision at that time. I will support him anyway. I am ready to do everything for him, also switch completely myself to sign language, no problem.

Do you plan to raise him orally or sign only? My parents raised my orally only and I even chose not to learn sign language as I wanted to focus on speech as much as possible while I was young. None of my hearing friends know sign and most deaf people can read lips just fine. I won't wait 20 years for stem cells, try 5 years maximum then ill get stem cells at whatever stage of development they happen to be at. He may be old enough as a teen to decide not to wait anymore and get stem cells.

"BeikeCell TM by the Chinese Research Institute of the North Branch development of neural stem cells, stem cell technology. 北科干细胞研究院同国内外重点高校科研机构如斯坦福大学、清华大学等联合长期从事干细胞研究开发,共建干细胞实验中心。 Stem Cell Research Institute of the North Division with key university research institutes at home and abroad such as Stanford University, and Tsinghua University joint long been engaged in stem cell research and development, build a stem cell experiment center. BeikeCell TM为众多罹患传统疗法治疗无效的神经系统疑难疾病患者,提供有效和安全的干细胞治疗。 BeikeCell TM for many suffering from the traditional therapy but not cured diseases of the nervous system difficult to provide an effective and safe stem cell therapy.

BeikeCell TM是通过神经干细胞的移植,替换损伤和变性的神经细胞,从而改善患者感觉功能、运动功能、语言功能、肌张力及高级智能活动等,其真正价值在于挽救患者的生命并改善生存质量。 BeikeCell TM through the transplantation of neural stem cells to replace injury and degeneration of nerve cells, thereby improving patient sensory function, motor function, language function, muscle tension and high intelligence activities, its real value lies in saving the lives of patients and improve the quality of life.

现在,我们已经成为中国干细胞治疗小脑萎缩和视神经萎缩临床病例最多的医院之一。 Now, we have become the stem cells to treat cerebellar atrophy and optic nerve atrophy clinical cases, one of the largest hospitals. 美国国家有线电视台CNN、英国BBC电视台、中国知音杂志等知名媒体多次对中心进行专访报道。 National cable television station CNN, the British BBC television, magazines, and other famous Chinese Salon Media Center interview reported on many occasions".

source: Google Traductor

for deafdude or whoever can answer:
in cases of deafness treated in the Chinese forum we've seen, I am not sure if the improvement is that regenerates the auditory nerve or the cochlea. It is the same as the cochlea to the auditory nerve. And always refer to the auditory nerve. I explain no. The nerve deafness ... Is the nerve? Then ... What if you have damaged the cochlea would not be treated?

for deafdude or whoever can answer:
in cases of deafness treated in the Chinese forum we've seen, I am not sure if the improvement is that regenerates the auditory nerve or the cochlea. It is the same as the cochlea to the auditory nerve. And always refer to the auditory nerve. I explain no. The nerve deafness ... Is the nerve? Then ... What if you have damaged the cochlea would not be treated?

Stem cells can repair/replace/regenerate any cell in the body. This is why I am waiting for stem cells. Not only will it replace my missing hair cells in my ears, itll repair my auditory nerve. I suspect my auditory nerve isn't in great shape for the higher frequencies since it's been so long since I heard the highs. But im not worried if stem cells doesn't give me usable high frequency hearing. HearAgain hears better with 6 high frequency electrodes disabled. I can always try out transpositional HAs. Only 10% of speech information takes place above 2000Hz. Stem cells would also repair any other defects in my body besides improving my hearing. I could consider it a general health tuneup :cool2:

Stem cells can repair/replace/regenerate any cell in the body. This is why I am waiting for stem cells. Not only will it replace my missing hair cells in my ears, itll repair my auditory nerve. I suspect my auditory nerve isn't in great shape for the higher frequencies since it's been so long since I heard the highs. But im not worried if stem cells doesn't give me usable high frequency hearing. HearAgain hears better with 6 high frequency electrodes disabled. I can always try out transpositional HAs. Only 10% of speech information takes place above 2000Hz. Stem cells would also repair any other defects in my body besides improving my hearing. I could consider it a general health tuneup :cool2:

The bolded is a scientifically innacurrate statement.

Back