imagine being the only Deaf in a whole University!!!!!!!!

mativu

Reaction score
hi all

how would you feel in you happened to be the only Deaf in a whole University.This is what i have been doing for atleast four years now. All other students are hearies and Few can understand KSL. The halls of residence its all hearies.
Aske me what it feels like knowing that you are with everyone by fact but in reality not there at all.

Mod's note:

Thread's moved to proper location.

Been there,

I went to DeVry Insitutes (Electronic Tech school) in KC Mo. for one year in 1989 to 1990. I was the only deaf there and all are hearies. I didn't have terp because Kansas VR refuse to pay Tech school because it's not part of their funding (now they do! 3 years later!!!). I asked DeVry if they can provide terp. They refused. VR backed off on me when I tried to tell VR that DeVry violate ADA law.. I talked with professors to try to keep his face front of me so I can read his lips. I was able to catch on what he says. I was on Dean's list while many students in my class had D's and F's. I was popular in Electronics lab because I always got electronic device working while many couldn't get it working. Professors had to direct many students to me to have their breadboard checked in order to have it graded by professor. :rofl:

But I left becaue I got a job in Federal Govt and manager there was mean. I told manager that I have school and he said work is more important than school. He cut me off by changing my reporting time. I was soo :pissed: but job pays real good so can't quit. It was tough for two years but after I was transferred. I planned to go back DeVry but realized that I'm out of state student and it cost three times more than In State student Grrrr. rip off!!

I learned that two other deafie went to DeVry before me. I spoke with her if she made it through DeVry courses. She said that Microcompressor course is one of the toughest. It have nothing to do with lesson. It's a lectures and test which are not according to book, it's all from lectures. She missed alot and she had terp with her but doesn't work at all cuz it puts her to sleep. It was her 4th time in Microcompressor class and she left DeVry. Counselor at DeVry didn't amount to help her.

Catty

hi all

how would you feel in you happened to be the only Deaf in a whole University.This is what i have been doing for atleast four years now. All other students are hearies and Few can understand KSL. The halls of residence its all hearies.
Aske me what it feels like knowing that you are with everyone by fact but in reality not there at all.

It's common except at Gallaudet and NTID.

been there, done that... is it very uncommon? :P

Nope, not uncommon. I went to Arizona State University which consists a student population of over 45,000. There were a few other deaf people going there during the time I went so my day to day interaction was with hearing people.

Nope, not uncommon. I went to Arizona State University which consists a student population of over 45,000. There were a few other deaf people going there during the time I went so my day to day interaction was with hearing people.

Yes, I went to community college with a student population of about 25,000 and I'm one of about 10-15 other deaf people going there. Of course they provide interpreters. And also the college have sign language class for anyone :)

Back