I'm Lianne from UK

lianne

Reaction score
hiya, I'm lianne and I'm currently studying BSL! I am in love with deaf culture and sign language (not to mention my sign language teacher mentioned in another thread - please help with my dilemma) and... I REALLY want to be an interpreter...and...I'm 21... and... I sing opera...and I cant really think of anything else to say, apart from hello!

hiya, I'm lianne and I'm currently studying BSL! I am in love with deaf culture and sign language (not to mention my sign language teacher mentioned in another thread - please help with my dilemma) and... I REALLY want to be an interpreter...and...I'm 21... and... I sing opera...and I cant really think of anything else to say, apart from hello!

Welcome here. Soon you will get to know us and get over all that. :lol:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Did you know that Beverly Sills who was a opera Diva and was a president of the Metropolitian Opera House in New York City? (I think that is the right name and place where she worked there. She had passed away, but she had a deaf son. I don't know if they both sign together or just like all hearing parents who refuse to sign. Beverly Sills was great and I love to watch her with subtitles when she sings. She was very good at comedy and other dramas which her characters had lot of emotions like as if she is signing instead of singing. You know what I mean? :lol: I hope you have lots of fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

:wave: ...I'm so happy some nice American created the time to teach you English. :giggle:

What's wrong with my english? :(

Bebonang, Yes, I know Beverley Sills! I did not know she had a deaf son though! I completely understand what you mean about the actions and movements. If you like her, you should check out Diana Damrau (my favourite opera singer of all time!) especially in her recitals of
"Der Holle Rache" from the magic flute! Its on youtube if you want to check it out?! Natalie Dessay is another good one!

I am a bit confused too... but it might be a joke... or rather a pun:

I think he meant English... as in... "English folks" since a few people recognize the Irish and Scots reject anything relating to "British."

Chips ahoy?!?! Did someone mention cookies?!?! :hyper:

I don't get the English reference either. Maybe they mean that you didn't use British slang words that Americans don't recognize? It's always funny when an American and Brit are both speaking English and don't understand each other.

Anyway, welcome to AD. :welcome:

Nothing wrong with your English, I think he was surprised to see you say , "hiya", which is more slang American English. Hence the joke about an American teaching you the language.

hehe okay! well I should hope there is nothing wrong with my English, as I am English through and through! lol never mind! "Hiya" is definately VERY common in England...probably used as frequently as in USA. I didn't think it was strictly and American term. I do find it funny though... its when I start using words like ponce, courgette and toff that you need to be worried :)

Back