I'm a throwback, I think

Firebrand

Reaction score
:iough::shrug::tears:

All this technology and I have very few. Besides, they cost too much. I don't know much sign language, either. I have never had a cell phone, pager, or anything like that. All I have is my VCO/TTY phone, the Relay, and my laptop. I have a Palm Treo that I recieved from an acquaintance (it was used), but no phone service. Don't want any contract and text is expensive as hell and I never have the funds to prepay for it, anyway. I just use the Palm Treo as an organizer/notebook as I take too many notes and can't manage them.

I'm 38 years old. I had 1 1/2 years of college education, majoring in biology. I am a housewife. I have chronic depression. Of course, I have many hobbies, including "living" in AllDeaf.com.

A lot of the technology that is available for the deaf is quite costly. Of course, I'm unable to work and can't get help from the government because of my hubby's income. I actually am so sick of dealing with beaurocracy (sp?) that I just don't want to jump any more hoops. It's such a circus and I suck at that. LOL. :laugh2:
I've just made do and managed as best as I could. Hee hee. It's amazing how fast the technology is progressing, though.

In South Carolina, deaf residents get free equipment and service for TTY, VCO and video phone, including free relay services but they have to pay for their own computer, internet cable and land-line phone service. Is that similar to what you have in Pennsylvania?

I have no clue, but I did get my VCO/TTY for free from the state. I had to hunt through the phones lines to find them. It's so hidden under the red tape. I don't know about the other equipments.

I have no clue, but I did get my VCO/TTY for free from the state. I had to hunt through the phones lines to find them. It's so hidden under the red tape. I don't know about the other equipments.

This is for when you will be able to sign conversationally: Right now the TTY's are going the way of the dinosaurs. Video Relay is the order of the day......

Apply for a CapTel Phone
Pennsylvania residents may qualify to receive a free Captioned Telephone(also known as CapTel) through the state's Telecommunications Device Distribution Program (TDDP), based on income restrictions. Or, Pennsylvania residents may purchase a CapTel phone directly. To apply for free CapTel phone through TDDP contact:

Sandra McNally, Program Manager
PA's Initiative on Assistive Technology
Institute on Disabilities at Temple University
1601 N. Broad Street, Suite 610
Philadelphia, PA 19122

(800) 204-7428 Voice (Toll-Free)
(866) 268-0579 TTY (Toll-Free)
Email: TDDP@temple.ed

Captel is a fantastic telephone that offers speech to text. If you can speak, but not hear, then this phone is for you. I have one and while the 2 line version is easier, it will work with 1 phone line.

If you have high speed internet, you could also get a P3 video phone that also offers text relay as well as video relay. for that you can go to www.hovrs.com

:ty: Well, thanks for the info, Kristina! Wow. I must be lazy. :giggle: How well do you like the CapTel phone? The only loophole I would see is if a new word or a complicated name comes through and they don't understand it.

:ty: Well, thanks for the info, Kristina! Wow. I must be lazy. :giggle: How well do you like the CapTel phone? The only loophole I would see is if a new word or a complicated name comes through and they don't understand it.

I totally love it - if they don't understand the word, they will usually put (sp?) right next to it. Most times they are very good. Also, there is a 2-5 second delay depending on the relay service. I used one for 1 1/2 years in Missouri and I have had current one here in Florida since July 2009. I will still keep it, even though I now have the P3 video phone on the computer. My mother has dementia and the captions help her on the phone and my son is hoh and he prefers it as well.

Awesome! Sounds like something I can get into. :D :ty:

Oh, I love all these emoticons, especially this one: :devil:

I totally love it - if they don't understand the word, they will usually put (sp?) right next to it. Most times they are very good. Also, there is a 2-5 second delay depending on the relay service. I used one for 1 1/2 years in Missouri and I have had current one here in Florida since July 2009. I will still keep it, even though I now have the P3 video phone on the computer. My mother has dementia and the captions help her on the phone and my son is hoh and he prefers it as well.

Just curious. How did the Cap-Tel helps your mom who has dementia? Do you mean she forgot easily and the captions reminds her?

Just curious. How did the Cap-Tel helps your mom who has dementia? Do you mean she forgot easily and the captions reminds her?

Yes - also, she would get confused with what people are saying - she only has the beginning stages.

Firebrand, the better word is Luddite. Then it looks more like you chose it as your lifestyle.

This is from encyclopedia.com: Lud·dite / ˈlədˌīt/
• n. a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, esp. in cotton and woolen mills, that they believed was threatening their jobs (1811–16).
∎ a person opposed to increased industrialization or new technology: a small-minded Luddite resisting progress.

I don't oppose technology. I just can't afford them, as they cost too much. As a result, I get behind on technology. :D

Firebrand, the better word is Luddite. Then it looks more like you chose it as your lifestyle.

I was thinking of that. Since Firebrand has laptop, that negated "luddite". I also kid my brother by calling him that. He has no computer. He said he is not afraid of technology. (Whatever...)

I was thinking of that. Since Firebrand has laptop, that negated "luddite". I also kid my brother by calling him that. He has no computer. He said he is not afraid of technology. (Whatever...)

:) It was the first that popped into my head. First Deaf person I ever saw without the necessary accoutrements.

Back