if you wore cochlear implant, will you become hearing?

I thought the post was old from last year 2010 and he was banned a long time now. That does not mean he was banned for the second time. It was Cookingmom who started posting here June 30 of this year (2011) and just want to say about using the Baha. Can you see the old post? :roll:

I say yes since I lived with an implant for 15 years and am very heavy reliant on it day to day basics. Its makes me able to hear and communicate.

Who cares really if you classify yourself as a deaf person or not. It's up to you whether you want and can benefit with CI or not.

Those who are worried about whether you're a deaf or hearing person with CI, you don't have a very good self image about yourself. You better get help to fix your self image.

if you wore cochlear implant, will you become hearing?

No. The internal implant is a electronically stimulated device that will stimulate the sounds through the speech processor and into the internal implant. You can only hear when you wear it but when you take it off you will not be able to hear without the speech processor. and If you decide to get the internal implant removed, you will be completely deaf because the internal device will ruin your hair cells in your ear drum (or canal, can't remember) because the internal device is surgically being put in your cochlea. This is why not many d/Deaf people love the idea of a cochlear implant.

I would call that bullshit. Yes I wore CI but it doesn't make me a "hearing". CI is just fucking tool. Damn, these people never learn.

Yes I wore CI but it doesn't make me a "hearing". CI is just fucking tool. Damn, these people never learn
Yes. Just b/c a deaf person can hear somewhat, it doesn't make them hearing. It makes them HOH.
Unfortunatly hearing people have been audist, and assumed that hoh kids have more in common with hearing, then with deaf. I think that can be true with postlingal losses or unilateral losses, but then again there are some postlingals and unilateral kids who identify with Deaf culture. It really depends on the kid. There are some "almost hearing" hoh kids, but then again there are still many many hoh kids who identify strongly with ASL and Deaf culture!

I say yes since I lived with an implant for 15 years and am very heavy reliant on it day to day basics. Its makes me able to hear and communicate.

But does it make you hearing...as in identical to a hearing person? After all, hearing people don't take a device off and go back to being deaf, do they? The fact that you are reliant on a CI is a pretty good indication that it doesn't make you hearing.

Who cares really if you classify yourself as a deaf person or not. It's up to you whether you want and can benefit with CI or not.

Those who are worried about whether you're a deaf or hearing person with CI, you don't have a very good self image about yourself. You better get help to fix your self image.

Those that need a CI to have a good self image have issues. They are the ones that need help.

But does it make you hearing...as in identical to a hearing person? After all, hearing people don't take a device off and go back to being deaf, do they? The fact that you are reliant on a CI is a pretty good indication that it doesn't make you hearing.

then the question itself is stupid. Its either you can hear, or you can't hear. In this case, obviously we ALL cant hear.

But what I was trying to say is, since I have an implant, I become a hearing person for the times I have it on.
But within the fact that I have the implant on, I'm still not a "hearing person". I'm still deaf am i not?
I figure it doesn't even matter weather you are deaf or hearing

All in All, Cochlear Implants give you hearing back, but for only so long, and even if you have an implant, your STILL DEAF.

/thread?

then the question itself is stupid. Its either you can hear, or you can't hear. In this case, obviously we ALL cant hear.

But what I was trying to say is, since I have an implant, I become a hearing person for the times I have it on.
But within the fact that I have the implant on, I'm still not a "hearing person". I'm still deaf am i not?
I figure it doesn't even matter weather you are deaf or hearing

All in All, Cochlear Implants give you hearing back, but for only so long, and even if you have an implant, your STILL DEAF.

/thread?

They only give you your hearing back if you had hearing to begin with.:cool2:

Actually, more than you becoming a hearing person with your CI on, you become a deaf person that can hear somewhat through technology.

When it comes to many things it indeed matters whether you are deaf or hearing.

They only give you your hearing back if you had hearing to begin with.:cool2:

Actually, more than you becoming a hearing person with your CI on, you become a deaf person that can hear somewhat through technology.
Lol @ the first line. I have to agree since I never even heard before going deaf as i was profoundly deaf at birth.

But basically, CI = technology that brings hearing to deaf...

But you're still deaf. So that's why the question itself is pathetic.

Lol @ the first line. I have to agree since I never even heard before going deaf as i was profoundly deaf at birth.

But basically, CI = technology that brings hearing to deaf...

But you're still deaf. So that's why the question itself is pathetic.

Exactly. But you would be amazed at the number of hearing people who assume that a person wearing a CI functions the same as a hearing person. I encounter it all the time in school administrators.

as in identical to a hearing person? After all, hearing people don't take a device off and go back to being deaf, do they? The fact that you are reliant on a CI is a pretty good indication that it doesn't make you hearing.
Yes. You hear but you hear like a HOH person. What you hear is not like what a hearing person hears. Matter of fact there are CI MEMs in development that make a CI sound more like what a hearing person hears.
Heck even I don't hear like a hearing person, and I have a conductive (turn up the volumne) loss.
You're still best with one on one, and are prolly LOST in difficult listening situtions right? You're Hoh. Hoh does NOT mean hearing. Hearing aids and CIs can give decent appromentations of sound/speech but comparing that to hearing person hearing, is like comparing 1930's video technology to HDTV.

It does and it doesn't.

It does because with the help of technology you are able to hear sound.
But it doesn't bring back your natural hearing, so it doesn't make you a natural born hearing person again.
Once you turn off the CI, you are back to being deaf.

Fuzzy

It does and it doesn't.

It does because with the help of technology you are able to hear sound.
But it doesn't bring back your natural hearing, so it doesn't make you a natural born hearing person again.
Once you turn off the CI, you are back to being deaf.

Fuzzy

So the short answer is, "no".:P

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

If I take off my glasses I can't see worth a damn so that make me hard of seeing or blind without my glasses?

Back