If you ever worked, are you still working or living on disability?

I really missed my last job. Wish I was never forced to leave the last job I had. OFC I am very pissed off, but what the hell can I do where almost no one wants to help me. It sucks to stay at home and deal with constantly pain, however I am getting better slowly and I don't know if I can ever go back to where I used to work at. It also sucks to wait for Social Security, I don't think I will have issue have them approve my application. Wait N see.

I agree with you and having a constantly pain isn't fun at all. :mad:

Live on SS really sucks due to poverty.

Well, why not start your own business?

I'm not business-material at all. To start a business and be successful at it requires certain attributes and qualities that I do not have. For one, I'm not people-oriented at all

Which do u prefer...live on ssdi and be broke or have a job that pays more? What about looking at your coworkers as just people u work with, nothing more but have friends outside of work to feel like a part of a group? I used to be close with several of my coworkers but too many problems so I just treat them like coworkers instead of friends and it has been less drama for me at work. Anyways, work is really not the place for socializing and I have gotten more work done since then.

I'd rather take living on ssi while keeping my sanity intact than dealing with a high-demanding job that pays barely enough to live on with crappy health insurance along with a workplace of managers and co-workers that barely acknowledge that I exist.

I am going to a program that helps people with disablities find a job and hopefully I will find one that I like.

accept you never going like or get on with everyone in the workplace that happens..dont go on disability that opting out of things...everywhere has own cliques ,it annoying and at times hurtful,become as good as you can in what ever job you do or yes start your own buisness if that is possible but that takes certain type of person.
if you constantlly having pity party then thats what you get pity and no one wants that,an assertive class would help,ask around see if get into one.

Well, why not start your own business?

I'm in same boat here. You see, my girlfriend would point----look, this guy works at a Walmart. Why cannot you be an adult and get a real job like him? Well, they don't buy low and sell high like I do, so there you go.

IMO, it's really not worth it to have a job and have no benefit. That is exactly what my girlfriend does and I wonder why she is doing that.

Holy S*!! This is one hell of a topic! Consider the other thread if you haven't on why people would rather work with a high school education rather than get a degree and work very hard to advance only to earn the same amount of money.

http://www.alldeaf.com/personal-finances/108555-why-americans-have-lost-drive-earn-more.html

I'm glad that this thread exists, also because "looking for work" has always been my enemy, conspiring to keep me out of good paying jobs or get me to kill myself or go homeless. It is a MF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's like a battlefield, okay? I have never won a single battle in this war. Not a one... A degree earned would represent a cache of rifle magazines fully loaded. Another degree earned would represent a cache of heat-seeking, rolling-ball grenades. A retail job here and there would represent small batches of MREs found here and there, but NEVER a SINGLE battlefield's perimeter secured. NOT ONE. AND I'M STILL BEHIND ENEMY LINES!!!

Now, please, sir, tell your GF that WALMART IS NOT A REAL F* JOB!! Retail jobs are supposed to be for kids, to teach them the responsibility of a job, being responsible for the money they earn, learning to work with each other, and gain basic people skills while putting SOMETHING on a resume. You're supposed to move out of this once you have graduated from the school of your choice (could be HS, college, or trade school). Remember that a lot of manufacturing and technical jobs are gone, and we can't be commercial pilots on airlines, be in the military, jobs where communications is critical. Many people, not just deaf people are having to work retail because that's all there is. There is an estimated 20-25% unemployment in the US, IF you consider the U6 number instead of the U3 BS they use to hide this fact from the news. Google "tent cities" just to get an idea of what we're dealing with, and of course, go here - http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/

She wants you to get a real job? Why don't you pick up a trade, like a machinist, fixing things, making things, anything real and tangible? I'm trying to figure this one out myself. I want out of this place.

I have Dyscalculia. I do not have any difficulty learning math I just cannot do it in my head. I also will write numbers backwards. Example a 6 will be a 9 and so forth. It's weird to explain. I just have to double check that I'm seeing the numbers the correct way, much like proof reading a paper over and over for errors or mistakes. I must use a calculator at all times because of it. Embarrassing to admit. Oddly, I write music and excel in all other areas academically. I believe the correct term is twice exceptional-academically gifted with a learning disability on top of it. I'm glad to see that you obtained a graduate despite yours. It's inspiring and makes me want to push myself finally to get that PhD in Psychology I've been holding off on for fear I'll be a failure because of it. :ty: for sharing!

You're far better than I am. I can't do numbers in my head either but unlike you, I can't use a calcalator (Excel, yes). I can't write music, much less remember the notes so I have to write out the letters since I can't sight read. I make the same errors as you with numbers. When reading, I find myself giving them the wrong name although I know the correct name. I do that with letters as well. I have to trust strangers to always give me the correct change. If I'm shopping, I never know what 50% or 10% off means - no matter how often I've been shown. I don't know how to estimate the tip when eating out. Obviously, going candy shopping for 2 for $6.00, I've no idea what it'll cost me for one. I hear you about proofing for erros. Notice how often my threads get edited? :cool2: I've always said having a learning disability is harder than deafness. No one ever accused me of lying when I said I couldn't hear.

I'd pursue the Ph.D. For your thesis you can write how you overcome your fear of failure and pursed your dream....

Laura

In many ways, I face the uncertainties of each day arming myself with my faith and my own secret weapon, borrowing from an inspiration of mine, Golda Meir, that I have no alternative. I apply her gutsy attitude to persevering, "To be or not to be is not a question of compromise. Either you be or you don't be." So I get up each day and face it as well as I can because that’s what strong people do.

The vocational departments exist for a reason, and perhaps you can sit down with them and discuss a career path? It sounds like you need to discuss job options with someone, maybe at your former school? There is help out there if you're willing to push forward. You shouldn’t have to hate your job and they could help point you in the right direction to find job satisfaction somewhere.

Laura

GD, Laura... You know how hard it is! Hugs! Lots of times, I do the same thing. It's hard to get up sometimes. The last 3 days, I went to bed around 9-9 30 and would get up around 9-10 AM, and this morning was VERY hard to get up at 7 AM. I barely had enough time to get ready and be at work by 9 45.

Laura, do you ever raise your weapon and say, "Molon Lave, a-holes! MOLON LAVE!"

Who do I go to in Texas to get help in a direction? I've already been to DARS many times. I cannot afford the services to determine just what the hell I want to do full-time.

Another part of me says to get out of the rat race. For example, what gets me going at times in the month is the feeling that I'm about to accomplish another financial goal, being just that little bit closer to having bills paid off. I resolved to myself over a year ago in September that I was going to shut down everything in terms of financial obligations and pull back from everything, to pull back into the way life was many decades ago before I learned how hard this world was and instead branch out into things I WANT to be a part of, never mind if the world is going to hell in a revolution. If I catch a sniper's bullet while escaping, too F* bad. I'll just wait for his turn to die and make sure he can NEVER leave the planet in spiritual form or otherwise. I'm going nuts. I feel like I will lose it one day and simply load up my things into storage, and go off out there, never to come back...

I don't want to feel that I have to put up with a bad workplace just to pay the bills. I will have a way out.

Sure, you do. You already do have a way out. Question is, are you willing to do the deed and be reborn as a Goa'uld? But I feel like something just outside of my awareness is waiting for me to die and possibly do something to me. I get the feeling sometimes that I'm hiding inside this world because I get the sense that they're looking for me. Maybe I did something of a bad consequence and managed to escape into this life. I don't know.

It is intended as a textbook for RCIA (Catholic education program for adults intending to convert). :fingersx:

Your finger threw the gauntlet down...

Molon Lave my brain, MCB... You can never have me. I will NEVER acculturate.

Ha ha.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA hahahaha... .... ... (echoes)

(smiles in a knowing, primal manner)

(cackling in a crazy manner)

Whoops. Forgot about this one. I want to add for the quick readers that I'm deaf, lesbian, trans, a musician, vegan, economics-minded, so many things nobody wants to be. This weekend was a F* depressing weekend, even though I was off work. I am considering having to sell one of my vehicles so that I can buy a travel trailer and live off my SSDI and some savings for as long as SSDI is still available (it WILL stop one day when either SS is recognized as a ponzi scheme and terminated as such or I find the job I can live with). It is a bitch living with various levels of ridicule, especially from the customers (it's never said, just how it comes across). Most coworkers are nice about it, though. They keep their peace because they have a job to protect.

True, I also can't function in a group setting and recently had to talk with a manager in private about opting out of store meetings if an interpreter wasn't present, since only the leader would be understandable (when it goes to a group discussion, understanding is "done gone"). I'm awaiting word on that.

Laura, do you ever raise your weapon and say, "Molon Lave, a-holes! MOLON LAVE!"

Only every damn day for five years when I was employed by the worst agency in federal service...but only in my head, of course. :D

People can try your patience and it's not easy for anyone with a disability, no matter what it is, dealing with management or coworkers. People need to find a way of balancing things. If it's working with animals, or working for a non-profit agency, schools, or going to business for yourself, you can find something satisfying if you persevere. I'd like to train for a new job and work in another field entirely, so when I pay off my bills, that's where I'm investing my energies. I get up at five each day and don't make home until close to six in the evening, and I'm going all day non-stop. Everyone needs a plan...the OP included, so when you're surrounded by rats, you have a Plan B and a goal to actively work towards....

Your finger threw the gauntlet down... I will NEVER acculturate.
That was crossed fingers, as a substitute for prayer on this board. Catholic society and culture are optional. People from another group tried to force me into THEIR mold, and it was a nightmare.

This, ^^^, is the key if you can do it. If you get debt free, you have the power to change jobs at will as you are not under anyone's thumb. It may take years to do this. but once you have no debt the credit card companies pay you to keep their cards with instead of the other way around. If you get laid off, it doesn't even put a chink in your armor.

Real power comes from no debt..

Yes. This was the only way I was able to leave employment to go to college full-time.

My previous employer would not let me drop down to part-time work, so I had the choice of either staying at my old job or going to school full-time.

The fact that I had no debt and some savings made that decision a lot easier.

It's not easy. I lived an extremely modest lifestyle on 9.50/hr at my old job, and I live an even more modest lifestyle now.

But debt does not force me where I do not want to go.

That was crossed fingers, as a substitute for prayer on this board. Catholic society and culture are optional. People from another group tried to force me into THEIR mold, and it was a nightmare.

OH. :shock:

Face-plant. I thought you were waiving the bird at me. I looked at it more closely and realized my mistake. :laugh2:

Still, no one can have my brain...

No problem. A defensive attitude is only self-protection.

Holy S*!! This is one hell of a topic! Consider the other thread if you haven't on why people would rather work with a high school education rather than get a degree and work very hard to advance only to earn the same amount of money.

http://www.alldeaf.com/personal-finances/108555-why-americans-have-lost-drive-earn-more.html

I'm glad that this thread exists, also because "looking for work" has always been my enemy, conspiring to keep me out of good paying jobs or get me to kill myself or go homeless. It is a MF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's like a battlefield, okay? I have never won a single battle in this war. Not a one... A degree earned would represent a cache of rifle magazines fully loaded. Another degree earned would represent a cache of heat-seeking, rolling-ball grenades. A retail job here and there would represent small batches of MREs found here and there, but NEVER a SINGLE battlefield's perimeter secured. NOT ONE. AND I'M STILL BEHIND ENEMY LINES!!!

Now, please, sir, tell your GF that WALMART IS NOT A REAL F* JOB!! Retail jobs are supposed to be for kids, to teach them the responsibility of a job, being responsible for the money they earn, learning to work with each other, and gain basic people skills while putting SOMETHING on a resume. You're supposed to move out of this once you have graduated from the school of your choice (could be HS, college, or trade school). Remember that a lot of manufacturing and technical jobs are gone, and we can't be commercial pilots on airlines, be in the military, jobs where communications is critical. Many people, not just deaf people are having to work retail because that's all there is. There is an estimated 20-25% unemployment in the US, IF you consider the U6 number instead of the U3 BS they use to hide this fact from the news. Google "tent cities" just to get an idea of what we're dealing with, and of course, go here - http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/

She wants you to get a real job? Why don't you pick up a trade, like a machinist, fixing things, making things, anything real and tangible? I'm trying to figure this one out myself. I want out of this place.

My ex hubby works for Walmart and he moved up to be a regional manager managing 4 stores and earns close to 100K. As much as I am not too crazy about my ex hubby, he is living proof that he is working at a real job at Walmart.

My ex hubby works for Walmart and he moved up to be a regional manager managing 4 stores and earns close to 100K. As much as I am not too crazy about my ex hubby, he is living proof that he is working at a real job at Walmart.

Yep, a job is a job!

I'm talking about a job with real skills. I wasn't talking about money. I was talking about doing something USEFUL. You have to remember that he is removed from the REAL action in retail, where the actual work is done. On the floors, at the registers, at the loading docks, in the warehouse behind the rear wall prepping the merch to be stocked on the floor, etc. That is where the real work is done. if all the nonmanagerial staff walked off the job and no one showed up to replace them, the managers couldn't keep the place going indefinitely. No wonder prices go up because the overhead for "managers" creep up. He should not be earning that much money for the actual amount of work he does (it has to be something besides people and pushing paper).

No thanks. When SHTF, he better have some skills to keep himself alive and be mentally ready to downshift his lifestyle and be working out NOW in the event he has to make a drastic career change. Just watch...

I'm talking about a job with real skills. I wasn't talking about money. I was talking about doing something USEFUL. You have to remember that he is removed from the REAL action in retail, where the actual work is done. On the floors, at the registers, at the loading docks, in the warehouse behind the rear wall prepping the merch to be stocked on the floor, etc. That is where the real work is done. if all the nonmanagerial staff walked off the job and no one showed up to replace them, the managers couldn't keep the place going indefinitely. No wonder prices go up because the overhead for "managers" creep up. He should not be earning that much money for the actual amount of work he does (it has to be something besides people and pushing paper).

No thanks. When SHTF, he better have some skills to keep himself alive and be mentally ready to downshift his lifestyle and be working out NOW in the event he has to make a drastic career change. Just watch...

management is what keeps the "real job" running, ya know? there are people who can do grunt work and there are other people who can do the thinking.

it takes two to tango

I've thought about getting a real estate license to work part time or in my spare time. It'd be something I'd enjoy. Get out of the rut I'm in at my current job.
I do agree with the others starting a business or doing something part time on the side that you'd enjoy would be a good route to take.

Laura-we're very similar! The sales part 10 percent off, forget it with me. I cannot read roman numerals either so I avoid clocks with them. I'm not sure what causes this but it is a thorn in my side and I agree it can be more difficult than being Deaf or worse because you're Deaf and have people treat you as though you are stupid out of ignorance and compounded with a slight LD on top of it...it's enough to kill what little soul you may have left.

:) I wrote a paper about this topic in college a long time ago but would revisit for a thesis for graduate school.

:)

S.

Do you know when you reach your full retirement age you no longer get SSI.
So you should tried to work as long as you can so you can get a decent SS check when you do retire

Back