IEP help for 2nd grader

silversoul

Reaction score
Does anyone have any literature: power point presentations, articles, resources of any sorts that could assist in making a case for HoH accommodations to a mainstreamed child?

I have been advocating at IEP meetings for a few years now and feel like I am getting no where with them.

I need to explain why hard of hearing is a "disability" worthy of accommodations (they are suggesting her HoHness is not an issue in regards to academics. Also they are demanding that her learning delays are not from lack of language exposure at school but rather because of APD which is an auditory processing learning disorder which she has not been diagnosed with and can not at this time even be tested for, because they can't locate a HoH APD test ....since they test for APD with headphones).

I also need to explain why giving her HoH accommodations would foundationally improve her math and reading levels. I have a few good research articles on this and will be making charts for them.

silversoul, can you talk to the parents about maybe transferring to Illonois School for the Deaf or a Dhh program? The sitution you're advocating for sounds scarliy simlair to my experiance as a mainstreamed solotaire 23 years ago. (oral solotaire) I know the school...........23 years ago I got told " Oh she's not "really" deaf.
It just goes to prove that public school systems don't give a shit about educating dhh kids, but are just using the funding they bring, so they don't have to pay out for an out of placement (ie either dhh program or deaf school) sitution.

Does anyone have any literature: power point presentations, articles, resources of any sorts that could assist in making a case for HoH accommodations to a mainstreamed child?

I have been advocating at IEP meetings for a few years now and feel like I am getting no where with them.

I need to explain why hard of hearing is a "disability" worthy of accommodations (they are suggesting her HoHness is not an issue in regards to academics. Also they are demanding that her learning delays are not from lack of language exposure at school but rather because of APD which is an auditory processing learning disorder which she has not been diagnosed with and can not at this time even be tested for, because they can't locate a HoH APD test ....since they test for APD with headphones).

I also need to explain why giving her HoH accommodations would foundationally improve her math and reading levels. I have a few good research articles on this and will be making charts for them.

WTF, do you live 25 years in the past????? I can't believe this sort of fundamental discrimination still exists in public education. I can't believe it's not self-explanatory.

Hello, if the child is missing parts of the verbal instruction, he/she is going to have to work twice as hard just to keep their head above water!

WTF, do you live 25 years in the past????? I can't believe this sort of fundamental discrimination still exists in public education. I can't believe it's not self-explanatory.

Hello, if the child is missing parts of the verbal instruction, he/she is going to have to work twice as hard just to keep their head above water!

Now do you understand what I deal with too often in my teaching career? Many people think because we, on AD, are more knowledgeable about the educational laws and deaf right, the rest would be the same. Unfortunately, it is not and I see this kind of backward thinking constantly when dealing with people who work in mainstreaming programs. I am sure this lady has good intentions but education is sorely lacking here.

Now do you understand what I deal with too often in my teaching career? Many people think because we, on AD, are more knowledgeable about the educational laws and deaf right, the rest would be the same. Unfortunately, it is not and I see this kind of backward thinking constantly when dealing with people who work in mainstreaming programs. I am sure this lady has good intentions but education is sorely lacking here.

Yeah, and I can understand why you're choosing to leave the teaching profession. It's just not worth it anymore. Teachers are treated like garbage even though they have the most important profession in the entire world.

To be clear though, I was not attacking silversoul but rather the people she is up against. I have no doubt she is fighting the good fight. I wish I could help, but I don't have the resources.

You know, it would be a really good thing if there were a central online resource for deaf educators and advocates, a place that collects all the literature and studies regarding ASL use and provides assistance to people like silversoul.

:hmm:

Oh trust me it still happens very sadly :( They want to give hoh kids a hard time with good accomondations, so they can get away with providing minimal accomondations without expending a lot on their education. Remember kids with disabilties bring lots of money to their schools. If they didn't, then they would be told just to go to deaf school.

If she has a diagnosed hearing loss that "adversely effects" her educational environment she is entitled to "Special Education and Related Services". Accommodations would fall under that category.

It is quite disturbing the school district is making such ridiculous claims. If you have documented efforts to get accommodations for this student, I would file a Compliance Conplaint in the mean time- and ideally sooner than later.

Check out Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy and search the site. Lots of good information re laws, resources etc.

If she has a diagnosed hearing loss that "adversely effects" her educational environment she is entitled to "Special Education and Related Services". Accommodations would fall under that category.

It is quite disturbing the school district is making such ridiculous claims. If you have documented efforts to get accommodations for this student, I would file a Compliance Conplaint in the mean time- and ideally sooner than later.

Check out Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy and search the site. Lots of good information re laws, resources etc.

Does she though?

The first thing you need to do is contact the School for the Deaf : Illinois School for the Deaf
There is a listing of Deaf ed programs in Illnois: Illinois Deaf/Hard of Hearing School Programs
Get her out of her current program. It sounds HORRIBLE!!!!! This is the type of program where they will only give her FM device, speech therapy and front row seating!

That is exactly the ONLY thing they are willing to give her. I advocate with research articles (PROOF) that sign language and can foundationally help with a child's academic performance. (Which I think is common sense! FULL exposure to language like ALL other kids get.)

But my parents don't want to send her to ISD mostly because they want her here, near. :( She is an amazing kid.

Also my mother's co-worker was a successful mainstreamed deaf and has really be-littled ISD's education to her. :(

Thanks for all your words on here! It is nice to have some support.

The child is probably struggling to keep up because language and communication is not fully accessible. The child needs to be in a signing environment. That's the only suggestion I have to help the child.

Thanks CSign I will check that site out. I've never heard of a compliance complaint.
But they are stating that her hearing loss does not adversely effect her education which is the biggest problem. They even have the deaf/hoh resource woman saying that she is fine with only an FM system (she is not she needs more). The resource woman doesn't want to get in trouble by her boss. She even nodded her head yes to me when I stated that was why she was not wanting to recommend more accommodations.
Ridiculous! Her face lights up when I take her to Deaf/ASL functions, I just wish they would give her even a bit of that at school. They have 2 HoH teachers and an interpreter on payroll that WANT to work with my HoH sis.

Instead of stating that her hearing loss is effecting her education (equal access to communication) they are trying to say it must be auditory processing disorder which to me is stating: the only accommodations for APD would not work for her because they are auditory. So we are stating she has some auditory issues that effect her education but we are not admitting its from her left Deaf ear or her right HoH ear. So thus: no accommodations other than FM system.

:(

I always think: how do they feel OK about that? If I had to go into an IEP meeting and lie to save my school the trouble of helping a special needs child, I would hate myself.

Does the child know ASL? If she does she should get an interpreter. If she doesn't then maybe CART would be more appropriate for her. Signing would make it all accessible for her if the family was willing to get on board (I don't know if they are or not).

If she is profoundly deaf in one ear, and HH in the other then it's a no brainer that she's not accessing her environment. You need to be firm with the SD and tell them she has a diagnosed hearing loss that is clearly adversely effecting her educational environment. They don't have anything to substantiate their claims about an APD if it's what they "think".

You need to stand firm for this child and family and make things happen. It takes time, but you can get it done. This child has the law on her side.

This is the link for a compliance complaint:

Special Education Complaint Investigation Process

Does the child know ASL? If she does she should get an interpreter. If she doesn't then maybe CART would be more appropriate for her. Signing would make it all accessible for her if the family was willing to get on board (I don't know if they are or not).

If she is profoundly deaf in one ear, and HH in the other then it's a no brainer that she's not accessing her environment. You need to be firm with the SD and tell them she has a diagnosed hearing loss that is clearly adversely effecting her educational environment. They don't have anything to substantiate their claims about an APD if it's what they "think".

You need to stand firm for this child and family and make things happen. It takes time, but you can get it done. This child has the law on her side.

This is the link for a compliance complaint:

Special Education Complaint Investigation Process

My baby's first language is ASL.

She loves it. She has since became fluent in English: expressively of course receptively is difficult because of her hearing loss. She misunderstands EVERYthing which they are saying yes, is happening but not because of her hearing loss (ridiculous, I know. It takes everything I have to stay calm with these jerks). I've been trying to explain to them that they are being unreasonable.

I bring charts, research articles, I study for MONTHS and you can see it clear on there face: they know what I am saying is true but they do not want to change their mind. they keep saying: only FM good enough!
I will file a compliance complaint and discuss this with our lawyer.

Thank you again.

That is exactly the ONLY thing they are willing to give her. I advocate with research articles (PROOF) that sign language and can foundationally help with a child's academic performance. (Which I think is common sense! FULL exposure to language like ALL other kids get.)

But my parents don't want to send her to ISD mostly because they want her here, near. :( She is an amazing kid.

Also my mother's co-worker was a successful mainstreamed deaf and has really be-littled ISD's education to her. :(

Thanks for all your words on here! It is nice to have some support.

I KNEW IT!!!!!!! I figured ISD is a little too far away, and she is still kinda young for dorming it......but what about the regional dhh programs I posted? That might be a good compromise until she's old enough for dorming it. Schools that have dhh programs are WAY WAY better then "neighborhood school" placements.....solotairing it sucks!!!!!! And yeah, they try to get away with FM, speech and preferential seating. Meaning not a real program......

and still contact ISD......they might be able to help you and give you some advice through outreach, or tell you about good regional dhh programs.

My baby's first language is ASL.

She loves it. She has since became fluent in English: expressively of course receptively is difficult because of her hearing loss. She misunderstands EVERYthing which they are saying yes, is happening but not because of her hearing loss (ridiculous, I know. It takes everything I have to stay calm with these jerks). I've been trying to explain to them that they are being unreasonable.

I bring charts, research articles, I study for MONTHS and you can see it clear on there face: they know what I am saying is true but they do not want to change their mind. they keep saying: only FM good enough!
I will file a compliance complaint and discuss this with our lawyer.

Thank you again.
Does she have an ASL terp or CART? I have personal experience with both. My preference would be the interpreter but if that doesn't work out, then CaRT. I had a FM system while in school..didn't help at all.

Enough is enough.

Lawyer up. Sue their asses. You will win.

Enough is enough.

Lawyer up. Sue their asses. You will win.

Before she can sue, she has to show that the school refused to provide for a terp, CART, notetakers, and all that. It can get dicey if she acts too soon. She can file a due process.

Back