i711.com (new Ip-Relay service)

Toonces, I hope that site is trusted.. Now I see many relay are out there like att-t, mci, spirint.. there must something wrong with them, but they just be competitive?? or what?? I just curious...

Competition

Yup. That's all it is about. Competition is good. It means that you have more choices. I like lots of choices. Makes it easy to find what's best for me.

I see it's a GoAmerica site. Competition is mighty healthy!

Richard

Dennis said:
Competition

Yup. That's all it is about. Competition is good. It means that you have more choices. I like lots of choices. Makes it easy to find what's best for me.
Dennis, Now I got your words.. But I was just wondering if site became offically by FCC.. You know what I talking about? :D thanks for reply....

It looks pretty good... except how can
hearing person call me back ??

Mark Rejhon said:
Y - You can use MCI AIM IP-Relay to get incoming calls back to you.

Mark, I already got phone number installed
from MCI IP-Relay and gave it to my "hearing" Mom
and she said that she kept trying to call me back
without any luck... she said that does NOT work.
It kept ringing and ringing. I was there waiting
for her call.

Thats why I have to give up MCI and then
I have to ask i711 to see if they have
any incoming calls from hearing people ?

ckfarbes said:
Dennis, Now I got your words.. But I was just wondering if site became offically by FCC.. You know what I talking about? :D thanks for reply....

To my knowledge, no. It's not on NECA anywhere. But then again, it takes some time for NECA to start getting billed.

"Trust i711.com for your Relay Needs
i711.com is provided by GoAmerica, a company that has been providing communication services to people who are deaf or hard of hearing since 1997. GoAmerica has partnered with Nordia, a relay provider for one of the United States' largest relay programs—and a provider of Canada's relay service."

Great. Now all they have to do is provide wireless relay service...I can get the site on my desktop, and can access it through my Bell Blackberry 6750, but "placecall" just tells me "HTML Translation Error - please try a different URL".

Mark?

Velvet

I just emailed the contact info provided in the support section. No response yet, but I will keep you posted! (deaflibrarian are you out there somewhere?)

Velvet

They Dialed It! They Dialed It! They Dialed It!!!

THEY DIALED AN ONTARIO NUMBER!!!!!!!!!

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

(From the desktop, she adds. I'm having some trouble getting into the site with my Blackberry, but it could be because I am indoors. I will try again when I go downtown later.)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Velvet

From the FAQ:

http://www.i711.com/faq.php

"Will I be able to access i711.com on my wireless pager (such as my Sidekick or BlackBerry)?
A mobile version of i711.com will be available in the near future. Our goal is to make i711.com as accessible as possible, and available for use on many different devices. We know that wireless is a major part of a relay user's life, so we are working to bring you a wireless version very soon."

qwerty123 said:
Richard
Great to hear that competition is healthy. now go to www.siprelay.com

your blood boiling yet?

Sorenson IP relay is fine as they're not trying to dominte the IP Relay market using forceful tactics as they're doing with their brand of VRS.

Richard

You Want Boiling Blood? I Will You Boiling BLOOD.

As in, the blood of the relay service providers at Nordia.

Just got this nice little email back from i711.com:

>Hello Velvet,
>
>Thank you for sending us your comments.
>
>We are pleased to hear that you enjoy our new service. However; >unfortunately with i711.com, you cannot make international calls outside of >the United States meaning we do not accept any call from Canada or make >any relay call to anyone in Canada.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>i711.com Support

Okay. That's fine. Connecting over the Internet, you're still going through a real live operator (instead of the server pass-through Hamilton Relay uses, which can (and will) block you once they find out you're Canadian). Last I checked, i711.com is still dialing Ontario numbers for me (well, my home number, which is busy, because I'm logged on the Internet, duh), and I'm going to see if I can get one to make an outgoing call where someone really will pick up on the other end tonight. This may be a workaround, until I get caught, but still no wireless relay services as of yet, either. I will keep you posted.

The boiling blood part comes from this:

http://www.itbusiness.ca/index.asp?theaction=61&lid=1&sid=58257&adBanner=Networking

The relevant quote goes thusly:

"Providing relay services across the border presented a challenge, as relay calls don’t normally cross borders, Grimard said. The signals are different and Nordia worked with Bell to make switches to bridge the two. Though the contact centre is located in Canada, the service is only available in the U.S."

All together now children as a group:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sorry. Fine now. Really I am.

Okay, first my problem was the American relay services wouldn't let Canadians make calls. Now, they've got a CANADIAN relay service, that only lets AMERICANS make calls.

And, oh, yes, I managed to get through to the Executive Offices of Bell Mobility, and was told essentially, too bad, so sad, you're S^^t out of luck. ("There is currently no way for Data Support Services to link your Blackberry with the Bell Relay Service.")

In the meantime, I am still making payments of $60.48 to Bell Mobility each and every single month, for $350 worth of PLASTIC.

Can you say "not a happy camper", boys and girls?!

At least I got the snail-mail address of Nordia's Ontario branch. Let's see how long *that* takes to get a response from.....

Velvet

Nesmuth said:
Sorenson IP relay is fine as they're not trying to dominte the IP Relay market using forceful tactics as they're doing with their brand of VRS.

Richard

Man.. I feel bad for you. You really don't know what you're talking about.

Back