I will post this again

gab1430

Reaction score
I am a teacher who has become almost deaf as an adult. I need to find some resources, or help to go on with my life, I am terribly depressed, I dont know what to do with my life as I am the one who makes the most income at home. We dont have kids, husband is disabled. We have spent the last 11 years trying to have a baby, we cant adopt as we dont have the 40k we need for a new born, plus we dont qualify due to our disabilities. I know I need a change in what I do. please help me understand there is a life after deafness.
thanks so much

:wave:...welcome aboard...and sounds as if you really need a "picker-upper"....Most all of us can testify that there is life after deafness...we're living it...so lay down ur burdens...sit back..and read the threads here at AD....nice people here!

thanks so much for your reply, do you know how I can find the forum for the late deafened? I am a teacher, and I need a career change, but all i find is jobs that dont pay me what me and my husband need to survive, he has MS so we really need me to keep up the salary. Any resources here or ideas? please?

I am a teacher and I was born deaf. No reason to stop teaching.

I cant take the pressure anymore. I wasnt born deaf, it is really hard to adjust when it comes to you this late. I do think i need a career change. But thanks for the opinion.

I cant take the pressure anymore. I wasnt born deaf, it is really hard to adjust when it comes to you this late. I do think i need a career change. But thanks for the opinion.

What about being a teacher teaching deaf children?

^^^ That sounds like a GREAT idea!

I'm new to this hearing loss too. Just found out last week! It's really devastating and all kinds of things go through your mind about your ability to function with late onset. For three days I sat and felt myself going into a depression and wondered about what my life would be like from here on.

The sun was out (weather finally became nice and springlike) and here I was laying in bed depressed.

But I chose not to let the sadness take over me. I chose to try to accept what has been given to me. I chose to look at this as a challenge, a new way to develop myself further, but in a different way.

That's why I came here. For inspiration. I've lurked here since last week before I signed up and I see that everyone here is leading normal lives. If it weren't for the topics and the title of this forum, it does not appear to be a deaf forum.

I'm wondering what kinds of options you have in regards to your union helping you out to find an area that you can teach in, like suggested above.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Or maybe become a substitute teacher for the Deaf in a Deaf school if you can learn and do Sign language like ASL. We need more Deaf teachers in Deaf schools.

Now you are late deafened, you might go to ENT or to Audiologist to get hearing test before being fitted for hearing aids. Hearing aids and CIs are not making your hearing perfect like normal which is not. It just provide you environment sounds which is really not that clear.

I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

I don't know how long you have been working. Check with your last employer to see if they offer short/long term disability insurance coverage. Many of them do offer coverage.
Secondly, I would immediately contact Social Security attorney due to the fact that you became deaf, and I am not sure how severe your deafness is. Sometimes Social Security will disqualify you right away and remind you as I know already and been though that it takes 6 months for them to decide award your benefits or deny, there will be NO back pay. They Discontinued back pay. That is why you need to start with Social Security Attorney ASAP. Supposed they awarded you, the longer you work the fatter your Social Security benefits will be. I am not sure why I get Medicare immediately. I thought it will take two years, but nope and I am not sure why. I would suggest you get medicaid and depending on your income you may not have to pay any co pay or out of pocket expenses to pay.

I know this is tough, hang on and don't give up... I have been there and STILL am in the middle of "Process" It is not over for me yet and hopefully it will be over by end of this year.

thanks so much for your reply, do you know how I can find the forum for the late deafened? I am a teacher, and I need a career change, but all i find is jobs that dont pay me what me and my husband need to survive, he has MS so we really need me to keep up the salary. Any resources here or ideas? please?

Thanks everyone for your kind answers. I guess if you have been deaf all your life it gets easier with time. I really dont know how to handle it and I am truly scared. My job doesnt have disability insurance, and I wont get a penny in social security, Tx teachers retirement system doesnt contribute to SS, so I dont qualify at all for any of that. I need to keep looking for something I could do in a professional setting, but with limited interaction with others. thanks again

Thanks everyone for your kind answers. I guess if you have been deaf all your life it gets easier with time. I really dont know how to handle it and I am truly scared. My job doesnt have disability insurance, and I wont get a penny in social security, Tx teachers retirement system doesnt contribute to SS, so I dont qualify at all for any of that. I need to keep looking for something I could do in a professional setting, but with limited interaction with others. thanks again
Are you a member of the teachers' union? Some unions sell disability insurances. However, it may be too late for you to buy it since it requires some times like 1 year or 5 years before eligibility.

I have two friends who are deaf/mute. They work a limit of 20 hours per week. One is a baker, the other one works in a grocery store.

The baker was born hearing, and the other was not.

They both deal with customers and both sign. In the cases where customers need to communicate, they just pull out their pocket note pad and a pen and hand it to the customer.

They both work the minimum limit because they get supplemented by social security, which comes out to equal what they would get should they work 40 hours. If they work OVER the 20 hours then they forfeit their supplemental check. They also get full health benefits if they abide by this.

They both started working at their current jobs about a year or so ago, so they don't have much accumulated in work donated SS. I don't believe that they are collecting against it to begin with, for some reason I feel like it's a different type of program.

Perhaps you can check into the supplemental SS?

I have two friends who are deaf/mute. They work a limit of 20 hours per week. One is a baker, the other one works in a grocery store.

The baker was born hearing, and the other was not.

They both deal with customers and both sign. In the cases where customers need to communicate, they just pull out their pocket note pad and a pen and hand it to the customer.

They both work the minimum limit because they get supplemented by social security, which comes out to equal what they would get should they work 40 hours. If they work OVER the 20 hours then they forfeit their supplemental check. They also get full health benefits if they abide by this.

They both started working at their current jobs about a year or so ago, so they don't have much accumulated in work donated SS. I don't believe that they are collecting against it to begin with, for some reason I feel like it's a different type of program.

Perhaps you can check into the supplemental SS?

Just clarify, no need to add the word " mute".

thank you. :)

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone. :( My other friend is deaf and not mute so I just wanted to point that out to show how they are very successful even though they cannot speak. And if they can do it, anyone can! They are very inspirational to me.

Back