I want to study in the U.S!! Help Plz...

KweenSasha

Reaction score
I am a 21 year old Bahamian citizen with severe to profound bilateral sensorineural hearing loss since birth. I graduated high school few years ago and i'm interested in attending college abroad the U.S.
I've never attended any deaf school or had any experience with deaf communities or persons. I will like to attend a higher learning educational institution that will allow me to learn and grow into the deaf culture, while also completing a B.S in Biology or has Medical Sonography programs.
Any information or assist will be greatly appreciated.

Sure I do, but they do not offer the experience I am looking for. That is why I am asking you all here at AD.

Best go for public college that have what you looking for. College that I am attending have everything.

Pensacola Junior College offers degrees at Associate level & has no programs for me so that's out of question but it seem like a nice place to be, I'm glad you're liking it. What are you studying by the way @CryMeg.
Gallaudet has a variety of courses, looks great! But kinda expensive.

Sure I do, but they do not offer the experience I am looking for. That is why I am asking you all here at AD.

There is McDaniels College, Towson University, and CSUN. They offer Deaf studies programs...I am sure there are more with a large deaf student population...

Boston University is another possibility.

Pensacola Junior College offers degrees at Associate level & has no programs for me so that's out of question but it seem like a nice place to be, I'm glad you're liking it. What are you studying by the way @CryMeg.
Gallaudet has a variety of courses, looks great! But kinda expensive.

Yeah or UWF is my next one actually. :) :lol: I only attend PJC for 2 or 3 yrs. then switch to UWF. :)

KweenSasha,

There is Flagler College in St. Augustine, Florida... they do have deaf education major.

St. Augustine is a deaf-friendly town and has many deaf residents as well. I live in Jacksonville, 30 minutes north.

Flagler College

Direct deaf education link at: http://www.flagler.edu/page2.aspx?id=339

This is probably closest town from Bahamas I could think of.

KweenSasha,

If you are doing full time study at your university or college.

You could look into University/College Study Abroad and Exchange programs to USA for one semester (6 months) or two semester (12 months).

Check it out if your University or College do have this program.

Also there is Florida School for the Deaf and Blind in St. Augustine where Flagler College locates in, too. FSDB has the largest deaf school in the USA btw.

Thank You all for your responses. :)
I'm checking out RIT at the moment. I will most def contact them and see how it goes. Thanks Zerodog...

You want to go directly to the NTID college website of RIT. NTID (national technical institute for the deaf) is one of the colleges of RIT RIT - National Technical Institute for the Deaf - Technical College for Deaf Students. I thought you might want the link because it has more information about deaf and hard of hearing services they have to offer. If you want to attend one of the colleges at RIT, you want to apply through NTID to get the services plus a reduction of tuition for deaf and hard of hearing students. I think this one's a good college for you and offers the majors you are interested in. I hear that this college is diverse and have people internationally. Also, if you want to go into Biology, you can attend NTID and get your AS in Laboratory Science Technology, and then transfer to RIT because they have a program called 2+2 that they'll give you up to $3,500 each year for your Biology BS major at RIT. Here it is: RIT - NTID - Prospective Students - Majors/Areas of Study - Degree Options and click on the 2+2 link for more info.

Here's the info for Medical Sonography at RIT:

Diagnostic Medical Sonography (Ultrasound)

Hope this has been helpful.

Yeah Florida. Pensacola Junior College, have everything. Need web? Welcome to Pensacola Junior College

I have heard about this college and having a community of deaf people. What is this college like? There's no info about deaf people in that college on the website. Could you tell more? What are most people's preferred mode of communication? Are many of Deaf culture? Do you meet deaf people everywhere in your college?

I am curious what this college is like.

Thanks a million for da link ClearSky. I Haven't run across 2+2 info while browsing the site. Do u work for RIT:) U gud!

Back