I sign like a second grader.

CoffeeFiend

Reaction score
A guy at Deaf Church told me that.

Anyways, hello! My name is Becky, I live in Minnesota. I am an ASL student. I’ve been signing for about 2 years now, so the fact that I’m as good at it as an 8 year old is something to be proud of, right? =P

I first started learning ASL when I was a kid. There was an ASL interpreter at our church who offered free classes. I took a class when I was about 7. Unfortunately, the only thing I remembered after the class ended was the alphabet.

My interest in ASL spiked once more in late 2011. I took a spill at work and had to go to physical therapy. While there, I saw an interpreter at work. I then realized that’s what I wanted to go to college for-- ASL interpreting.
To make 100% sure that ASL was what I wanted to go to school for, I enrolled in a community outreach class at the local Deaf school. I fell in love with the language. (and the culture! Though, I’m still learning about that…) I started taking college courses in Summer 2012.

In addition to college, I work at a hardware store called Menards. I’ve been there for about 3 years.
I like drawing cartoons, working out and writing action novels. I also love coffee, hence the username.

By joining this site, I hope to expand my knowledge of Deaf culture and get a better feel for it. ( and to bump shoulders with fellow ASL students wouldn’t be a bad thing either.) Meeting new people online is always fun too! :D

I hope you're having a good day and that it's warmer where you are. I'm freezing up here. =P

That is better than being told you talk a monkey! I met a girl about 10 yo and she said I sounded like a monkey when I talked, I said 'Gee thanks!'
And the said No you sound like Bullwininke's monkey! It was a squirrel , but the girl said she thought it cool I sounded liked Bullwininke's monkey so she was off the hook. Winter is just starting where I live so it's cold here too.

Warm here in Chicagoland-- supposed to be 50's today. Anyways, welcome to AllDeaf. It's great to see the hearing people wanting to learn more about our culture, and how we do things.

You will learn many things, and I sincerely hope you enjoy your time here. I do-- I like it here, and am wishing I'd found it years ago.

It's in the 70s here in Houston! We have a cold front coming in within the next few hours though.. its supposed to drop 30 degrees.

Hi! I'm new to all deaf. I'm not deaf or hard of hearing; just learning sign language on my own and very interested in the culture. I'm hoping for some info and experience with sign language and deaf culture. I also would really like to have a sign name. My cousin and I are learning together and she gave me a temporary name: "lioness", because, according to her, I am very sweet and lovable, but can be very protective. Anyone know where I could get a more permanent name?

Hey, you piggybacked my thread! Shame on you! XP MAKE YOUR OWN, WOMAN. (I honestly don't care. XP)

My basic understanding is that a name-sign is bestowed upon you based on a physical attribute or something you do, such as a sway of the hips, constant hair flipping and whatnot. So, say your name starts with S and you have big arms, you might be "S-at-the-arm". I met a Deaf man named Jerry who's name sign was "J-at-the-forehead" due to an injury he had at a young age.

Though, another thing I've heard/read is that Deaf people bestow them on each other and hearing folks they're close with. Hearing people don't give each other name signs. We're forced to fingerspell. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys!

Hey, you piggybacked my thread! Shame on you! XP MAKE YOUR OWN, WOMAN. (I honestly don't care. XP)

My basic understanding is that a name-sign is bestowed upon you based on a physical attribute or something you do, such as a sway of the hips, constant hair flipping and whatnot. So, say your name starts with S and you have big arms, you might be "S-at-the-arm". I met a Deaf man named Jerry who's name sign was "J-at-the-forehead" due to an injury he had at a young age.

Though, another thing I've heard/read is that Deaf people bestow them on each other and hearing folks they're close with. Hearing people don't give each other name signs. We're forced to fingerspell. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys!

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. I am sorry that I was late coming in here after I put the comment about the fingerspell sign words. I asked where you come from but now you said that you are from USA (Minnesota).

You are correct that hearing people should not try to figure out their sign names. We, Deaf people, are to suppose to give hearing person a sign name if we can think of what is related to you as a person. It takes a while to figure out the sign name for hearing person. Same with us, Deaf people, we had to find a given sign names for them (Deafies), too. :cool2:

Thank you! And sorry; new to forums in general, and don't even know how to start my own conversation/ topic. I talked to the deaf teacher at my high school the other day and I'm supposed to go in tomorrow and talk to his class (and sign a little, but he is going to translate), and I'll ask them about the sign name. He also asked me to join his sign language club, maybe next year.

Back