I need sewing advice

hoodoowytch

Reaction score
I just recently received a Euro Pro sewing machine as a gift. While it is used, it is in excellent condition...I only need to purchase a presser foot for it.

I am only just learning to sew, and I am wondering what is the best brand of sewing patterns to purchase and how can I make my own patterns?

I just recently received a Euro Pro sewing machine as a gift. While it is used, it is in excellent condition...I only need to purchase a presser foot for it.

I am only just learning to sew, and I am wondering what is the best brand of sewing patterns to purchase and how can I make my own patterns?

I never have a problem with which brand of patterns as long as it is in the size and style I am looking for. I can do a few modifications if needed, but that's about it.

As for making patterns, That I have never done, so I can't answer.

I never have a problem with which brand of patterns as long as it is in the size and style I am looking for. I can do a few modifications if needed, but that's about it.

As for making patterns, That I have never done, so I can't answer.

Hmmm...so brand of pattern doesn't matter. Good to know. As for making them...I guess I was thinking how I could preserve the pattern I've bought by making a copy of it so I can reuse it time and again if I wanted to. Some of the patterns apparently come with multiple size options. Seems a shame to waste most of the pattern that you've paid good money for.

Hmmm...so brand of pattern doesn't matter. Good to know. As for making them...I guess I was thinking how I could preserve the pattern I've bought by making a copy of it so I can reuse it time and again if I wanted to. Some of the patterns apparently come with multiple size options. Seems a shame to waste most of the pattern that you've paid good money for.

Check the web site for Sewing With Nancy that is a PBS show. I think I remember seeing them make some patterns but for making size adjustments. The paper they use for that should work for the multi use idea as well.

Just had an idea! I have not done it but if you can still get a tracing wheel and marking paper (similar to carbon paper but washes out) pin the pattern on the fabric, mark all cutting lines by tracing them, mark other construction markings. Then remove the pattern before cutting.

In the last few years I have done more with a group that makes blankets (similar to Project Linus but we make different sizes for local agencies) and household things like making a curtain for my kitchen window out of a king size flat sheet.

If you got a small box as well with attachments a presser foot that just snaps on to the shank that comes out of the machine may be there. Also, the attachments that came with my machine included two presser feet. One was metal and one was clear plastic with the idea that the clear one would make it easier to see when doing some of the fancy stitches. I can't remember if I broke or lost the one but the standard one has worked fine for me for everything.

I have had not particular problems with any commercial patterns in the US. As you use more you may come to have a favorite brand though.

If you got a small box as well with attachments a presser foot that just snaps on to the shank that comes out of the machine may be there. Also, the attachments that came with my machine included two presser feet. One was metal and one was clear plastic with the idea that the clear one would make it easier to see when doing some of the fancy stitches. I can't remember if I broke or lost the one but the standard one has worked fine for me for everything.

I have had not particular problems with any commercial patterns in the US. As you use more you may come to have a favorite brand though.

There wasn't a small box with the machine. But your advice on the pattern query is ****ing SWEET! Thanks a bundle!:ty: I ordered an all purpose presser foot last night from a site that specializes in sewing machines and all the various bits that one might need. I am really excited to start making my own clothes!:D

There wasn't a small box with the machine. But your advice on the pattern query is ****ing SWEET! Thanks a bundle!:ty: I ordered an all purpose presser foot last night from a site that specializes in sewing machines and all the various bits that one might need. I am really excited to start making my own clothes!:D

Don't buy any patterns based on what size you buy in ready made things. The sizing is different! So . . . take your actual measurement and compare them to the chart you will find on the back of the pattern package.

Also, pay attention to the cutting layout included with the pattern. It is there because any fabric has more stretch in one direction than the other even if it is woven rather than a knit.

For a beginner the patterns at Wal Mart are very easy.
I'd leave Vogue for much later.
Kwik Sew is just that and kinda fun.

I got a presser foot for my machine and now I am doing my first projects! Curtains for the house...and Samhain (Halloween) decorations! WHEEEEEEE! This is fun.

i wish the old fashioned hand or Singer treadle were still used

Oh wow...my grandmother had one of those wonderful old Singer Treadle machines. I remember pushing on the the metal treadle as a little kid. I never knew what happened to that old sewing machine when she died. All but 1 of my aunts have passed on now...and since my living aunt doesn't have it I have no idea where it ever got to. I would love to have it now. :aw:

Last edited:
Lucky person. Those machines are hard to find in really good working order.

Her's was her mother's and the neighbor is 84. Her lawn guy's brother works on small machines and antique motors, so he does a tune up every so often for her.

Oh wow...my grandmother had one of those wonderful old Singer Treadle machines. I remember pushing on the the metal treadle as a little kid. I never knew what happened to that old sewing machine when she died. All but 1 of my aunts have passed on now...and since my living aunt doesn't have it I have no idea where it ever got to. I would love to have it now. :aw:

oh jeeeeeez now i officially old:laugh2:

Back