I need an iMac external backup

SBirn

Reaction score
Can't get too much further away from our issues than this. I have an almost 4 year old iMac. The internal harddrive crashed just before the warranty was up. The local dudes replaced it with a Seagate (used to be good). It crashed and burned under warranty. I do backups but apparently not complete ones on two Macs.

I lost my geek of geeks Mac friend some time ago. Seagate burns me up because it didn't last long (and I went to another repair place here). I'm using Clickfree to do the backup but it DOES NOT backup the entire system, so my MS stuff (Home/Student edition) was somehow rigged to work - I have the CD but had used the registration. With a full backup, that wouldn't have been necessary (my old harddrive was functional enough to use as a copy to Seagate).

The Apple forum does me no good. Wandering through Amazon is worthless. Both are suggesting Cloud backups (and Seagate) and I've already ranted about the evils of that. No one else is getting complete access to my stuff unless they hack through my firewalls and that hasn't happened yet.

Five years ago, I would've gone on Dice to ask this question but that's a crazy place to go these days.

Yelp? I have a Terabyte new HD but I don't use much of it. I tried to get less but of course got pushed to the bigger wasteland.

wow.......i understood maybe a couple sentences...
uh
which ways dice,?

wow.......i understood maybe a couple sentences...
uh
which ways dice,?
Sheri, I know what you're saying. I create a copy of my harddrive and isn't that the purpose of an external HD to use as a backup or are they different beasts? In either case, which brand because Seagate died an early death and the others seem just as bad.

Hochi,
You have your areas of expertise and I haveth mine and I'm losing it since I don't use it enough. Dice, Monster, and a host of others were IT job search engines and forums used to be a place you could safely go. We'd discuss the state of where info tech (computer field) was headed (mainly spiraling down), recommendations on courses to take (or not), and how to get ahead - stuff like that. Dice (NOT Monster - they were controlled primarily by people in India) allowed interaction and questions. I went onto Dice, for example, and asked how to pull the information in an Excel workbook from one worksheet cell to another (okay, that may not make sense to you... sorry). Years ago, that is where I'd go today (if they weren't so controlled) to ask my question. The people were intelligent and the banter was much like it is here. People came from everywhere and all walks of life.

I hear you SBirn. Backing up is soooo important...in fact having more than two backups is highly recommended. A combination of regularly timed backups to an external drive and using time machine to its fullest capabilities is one method. The second method is by cloning the entire drive including all software and the OS to another external drive. I use an iMac myself and I do both. As for which brands other than Seagate, I think it's a crapshoot as to which brand is the best. I use external WD and so far I have no problems.

As for your internal hd, I think you're having shitty luck. That would be so frustrating.

Sheri, I know what you're saying. I create a copy of my harddrive and isn't that the purpose of an external HD to use as a backup or are they different beasts? In either case, which brand because Seagate died an early death and the others seem just as bad.

Hochi,
You have your areas of expertise and I haveth mine and I'm losing it since I don't use it enough. Dice, Monster, and a host of others were IT job search engines and forums used to be a place you could safely go. We'd discuss the state of where info tech (computer field) was headed (mainly spiraling down), recommendations on courses to take (or not), and how to get ahead - stuff like that. Dice (NOT Monster - they were controlled primarily by people in India) allowed interaction and questions. I went onto Dice, for example, and asked how to pull the information in an Excel workbook from one worksheet cell to another (okay, that may not make sense to you... sorry). Years ago, that is where I'd go today (if they weren't so controlled) to ask my question. The people were intelligent and the banter was much like it is here. People came from everywhere and all walks of life.

oh.....you mentioned crazy and dice so i thought Vegas related......
india and computer mumbo jumble well......
not my kind of wasabi

(lights cigarette, breaths deep, sits back exhales, sips a fine sip of fine scotch..........thinks about computers taking over the world and th terminator............and Chaucer......)

Western Digital are better than Seagates these days

also look into getting an external SATA enclosure unit which means you can buy your OWN selected HDDs, format it, then install into the box physically (usually 6 small screws)...the screws you'd need are those tiny spectacles screw drivers, very cheap if you can find these in $2 shops...

Its happening already, GM just create a chip in the bolts in new vehicles!

Not believe this? Sure, check this out

Track-and-Trace Databolts

Enjoy reading

(lights cigarette, breaths deep, sits back exhales, sips a fine sip of fine scotch..........thinks about computers taking over the world and th terminator............and Chaucer......)

Western Digital are better than Seagates these days

also look into getting an external SATA enclosure unit which means you can buy your OWN selected HDDs, format it, then install into the box physically (usually 6 small screws)...the screws you'd need are those tiny spectacles screw drivers, very cheap if you can find these in $2 shops...
Okay, Grummer, Western Digital is what the opposing iMac store replaced the Seagate with.

I'll look at SATA as well, thanks.

oh.....you mentioned crazy and dice so i thought Vegas related......
india and computer mumbo jumble well......
not my kind of wasabi

lol!!!!! I had no idea why in the world you'd want to know where Dice was. Duh, should've asked. Sorry.

Enjoy reading
Ya know, the reason I loathe what I'm doing right now and all the other garbage happening with computers is because I worked in the field since 1977. I don't know everything but I know enough to be concerned. I know why cloud exists and other stuff I need not get into.

I finally got a new car. I saw the GPS and I immediately thought, "I'm going to be monitored." I saw the black box exists - they say it's for crashes only but the reality is BB or not, your car is run and schedule to live and die and force you to do things you don't want to by computers.

I get ancy about computers and I'm on alldeaf. But I have the experience to know about what is tracked and why we have IP addresses ... It's nuts. I'm working with someone and she said she wants to be safe and use their server. I said their server is not safe and is hackable and a better way to communicate would be through encrypting our files and sending them back and forth (hackable, as well). More will come.

Cloud = storing your data (like using alldeaf :) ) on someone else server. You think they're not going to use a keyword tracker... Well, maybe they won't but gmail does it in spades. I still use it.

End of rant.

Enjoy reading

RFID? Who care and it's pretty short range for RFID scanner like 1 feet away. That's good and it gave theft a hard time to find which bolt that it have RFID or not before sell them to someone. But RFID is not really computer. data-bolt is simple same as RFID key card

I use a mac.... I'm a photographer so my photos are priceless. I use the Rugged LaCie (orange bumper) to carry temp files if I'm editing as I travel or on my laptop.... I keep my logo/background/graphics/actions on it.... I trust it, it's 3TB, it got great reviews and its lasted me 2 years. It has to be daisy chained though because it's a thunderbolt....

On my desk though attached to my main computer I have a 2 bay 6TB LaCie 2Big Quadra.... it's a mirrored RAID setup, so 3TB and 3TB.... also thunderbolt, so moving files from the computer to the 2Big is fast.

Pick your poison... I like them both and did HELLA research before buying them.

I have a 5 yr old Mac-Mini. (Mid-2007 edition) It has 80 GB of disk capacity.

Previously,I was using the recovery HD (40 GB) along with Time Machine for backing up. My more computer literate brother didn't think that was a great idea backing up into a separate drive on the same computer.

What I did was buy a 128 GB PNY Attache USB flash drive to do the Time Machine backups. Is working quite well and cost me less than $200.

I did have a little problem and had to do a "restore" from the Time Machine
backup. Restoration went o.k.

Only caveat with the flash drive is that my 1st backup took hours to do. After the 1st backup,the later backups didn't take quite as much time.

Back