I need advice please

Thankyou il look in to all these suggestions I realy do appreciate it.
They did pecs with him in nusery he doesnt use it anymore he does just get what he needs he us quite indipendent in some ways
We are all lerning sign ellis is picking it up realy well way better then me lol

I'd be hesitant implanting a child with autism. I've met two children who were deaf and autistic, both implanted with no benefit.

If I were you, I would research across the country and world statistics on (if they exist) autistic children and CI's. If that doesn't exist, I would call (or ask your Audi) various major CI centers and see what their experience has been.

It is very different for a child with autism to get an implant than it is for a child who has no other issues.

I would encourage you to learn BSL (if you haven't already).

Have you guys looked into a Dynavox? I'm all for encouraging direct communication through a visual language, especially for a child with Autism. However, a Dynavox could be a great supplement that could begin to enable him to communicate with you guys.
Yes, their spoken language issues tend to be due to their autism, rather then their hearing loss....

Oh and PECS.......Do you guys have schools for kids with communication issues? Maybe go there and get an evalution......damn if you were here in the states.....we have a school specificly for dhh kids with autism.

Oh and PECS.......Do you guys have schools for kids with communication issues? Maybe go there and get an evalution......damn if you were here in the states.....we have a school specificly for dhh kids with autism.

Oh, is there? Which school is specifically for deaf children with Autism? I've never heard of it... I'd be very interested in knowing to share as another potential resource for parents.

I think it's important for the OP to really weigh out what is most important for her child- the ability to speak or the ability to communicate.

As others have mentioned, getting the CI will not guarantee this child developing speech.

That sounds amazing unfortunately over here they only seem to want to acknowledged one or the other, I did give our details to be part of a research studdy into deafness and autisum howevrr the founding wasnt granted for it so it never wen ahead.

I also have in my mind that iv either read seen or dreamt, that if the ci doesnt work it can damage what bit of hearing he has leaving him compleatly deaf is this right or have I made it up ?

I have a child with autism and is verbal, and I use sign language to communicate with her.

Most autistic children that are nonverbal can hear, but have a condition called Apraxia of speech. Their vocal muscles are weak and cannot form the sounds to produce speech. These kids do great with sign language because it gives them the same advantage as an augmentative device to use to communicate.

If your son is autistic, has it been determined that he really is deaf or has Apraxia and can hear?

Kids with Autism even if they are verbal do really well when sign language is paired with verbal language. Since autistic kids are strong visual learners. When you combine signing with each word (called mimetic prompting) the sign is specific to the word, and I believe that's how my daughter remembers words by remembering the sign. As a result, her verbal language increased.

The only concern I would have is to rule this out before getting CI since it's a surgical procedure. Even if your child could now hear with a CI; if he has autism and apraxia it won't change his ability to speak. After the CI he will still be nonverbal, because problem is in his vocal muscles not ability to hear.

also found this in MA: Beverly School for the Deaf (BSD) Programs

<begin copy>
"....Beverly School for the Deaf (BSD) educates students
by using language that is visually and
auditorally accessible. We serve students who have:
• Deaf, Hard of Hearing diagnosis
• Auditory Neuropathy/Dysynchrony
• Cochlear Implants and other technology
• Global Developmental Delays
• Apraxia/Processing Disorders
• Cerebral Palsy
• Autism and Spectrum Disorders
• Medical Needs
BSD is committed to helping all Deaf/......"

....Beverly School for the Deaf is a school where American
Sign Language (ASL) and English are used equally in
the classroom as the languages of instruction.
Academics are aligned with the Massachusetts..."
<end copy>

and this:
http://www.vcdhh.org/schools/deaf-autism-program

this more general info:
http://test.sweetwatermedia.com/asd/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=706&Itemid=550
Am Soc Deaf Children- Deaf Autism America

for anyone interested also: http://www.bu.edu/deafautism/isd/
Deaf Autism Research Project at ISD

also found this in MA: Beverly School for the Deaf (BSD) Programs

<begin copy>
"....Beverly School for the Deaf (BSD) educates students
by using language that is visually and
auditorally accessible. We serve students who have:
• Deaf, Hard of Hearing diagnosis
• Auditory Neuropathy/Dysynchrony
• Cochlear Implants and other technology
• Global Developmental Delays
• Apraxia/Processing Disorders
• Cerebral Palsy
• Autism and Spectrum Disorders
• Medical Needs
BSD is committed to helping all Deaf/......"

....Beverly School for the Deaf is a school where American
Sign Language (ASL) and English are used equally in
the classroom as the languages of instruction.
Academics are aligned with the Massachusetts..."
<end copy>

and this:
Deaf-Autism Program

this more general info:
American Society for Deaf Children - Deaf Autism America
Am Soc Deaf Children- Deaf Autism America

for anyone interested also: Message for ISD Parents » Research On Autism & Developmental Disorders (ROADD) | Boston University
Deaf Autism Research Project at ISD

Good links, Dogmom :ty:

I think TSD also may serve autistic kids in their Special Needs Program. It wouldn't surprise me if Perkins School ALSO serves this population since some blind kids have syndromes that result in autism.......and some of the severe deaf-blind kids may also have autism/severe nereological issues. I'm almost positive CHARGE (common deaf-blind dx) kids may have a high rate of autism.
And yes, dogmom, I was indeed talking about the Austine School program. CSign, there are ALL kinds of Deaf low incidence specialized disability programs here in the states.
General Special Needs programs at Deaf Schools usually cover relatively high incidence special needs. Meaning mental disability/learning disability/ mild behavorial/ and even sometimes physical. Just like with mainstream special ed ......However sometimes there's Extremely Low Incidence disabilities, which require specialized teaching methodologies not available at the neighborhood Deaf Schools. So there's specialized programs at various and sundry Deaf Schools for that population.

I think TSD also may serve autistic kids in their Special Needs Program. It wouldn't surprise me if Perkins School ALSO serves this population since some blind kids have syndromes that result in autism.......and some of the severe deaf-blind kids may also have autism/severe nereological issues. I'm almost positive CHARGE (common deaf-blind dx) kids may have a high rate of autism.
And yes, dogmom, I was indeed talking about the Austine School program. CSign, there are ALL kinds of Deaf low incidence specialized disability programs here in the states.
General Special Needs programs at Deaf Schools usually cover relatively high incidence special needs. Meaning mental disability/learning disability/ mild behavorial/ and even sometimes physical. Just like with mainstream special ed ......However sometimes there's Extremely Low Incidence disabilities, which require specialized teaching methodologies not available at the neighborhood Deaf Schools. So there's specialized programs at various and sundry Deaf Schools for that population.

I wasn't talking about all kinds of specialized programs... I was inquiring about what you mentioned, specifically schools that specialize in children who are deaf and autistic. I was happy to see those links, but those type of programs aren't as common as we'd like. :)

That sounds amazing unfortunately over here they only seem to want to acknowledged one or the other, ?

Are you sure? I thought even Mary Hare has life skills classes......Maybe check into deaf blind programs or even blind schools.......I know he's sighted but on the other hand, it's kind of common for blind kids to have autism like problems....
OH....................I just remembered a great resource.... Have you looked into Makaton and schools or programs that use Makaton? The Makaton Charity
Maybe also look into programs for nonverbal children, like severe CP kids.

I wasn't talking about all kinds of specialized programs... I was inquiring about what you mentioned, specifically schools that specialize in children who are deaf and autistic. I was happy to see those links, but those type of programs aren't as common as we'd like. :)

Well that's b/c again autism and deafness is very low incidence. Which is good.

Back