I heard I can get a new CI after five years

runner6771

Reaction score
Has any one ever heard that the insurance company will pay for a new external processor CI. There have been improvements and I was wondering if they allow for upgrades.
Another question I have is Do other CI users find that if they don't wear their CI for a day or two they have trouble hearing when they do. It seems like my brain in a day can forget to pay attention to that ear.

It will depend on your specific insurance coverage. Some will cover upgrades/new processors every 5 years, while others are at 7 years or never. You would have to check with your insurance to find out if they will cover an upgrade, and get your CI clinic involved as well.

Most insurance companies won't cover "upgrades" but they cover new processors that will positively impact your ability to hear better :D. Yes, work with your clinic and your CI manufacturer to get the paperwork sent in correctly to get new equipment.

As for not hearing well after not wearing my processors for a day, I haven't really noticed that I have any drop off when I wear my processor after not wearing it for a day.

I'm not sure about your case or what you're referring to exactly, but when I got my first implant, I was told it'd be 5 years till they would consider me for a second implant. And 7 years before I was allowed to upgrade my freedom to a N6.

Medicare is 5 years for upgrade. I believe Kaiser is also. If you have Cochlear brand, call their insurance department and they can give you the exact details based on your specific device. A 3G would automatically qualify for upgrade as it is obsolete and no longer supported by the manufacturer

Back