I have questions for deaf people who goes or went to colleges

hearing children don't do well in school either

One of the many reasons I chose to homeschool was the serious
decline in academic performance in public schools.
If hearing people can't even decide on which teaching method
works best for hearing children why do they think they can decide what works best for the Deaf?

In Oregon when a school report card comes out and it says that a
particular school has 65% of its students "meeting or exceeding the
State requirements" DO NOT BE FOOLED by this misleading stat!

In order to "MEET" the states requirments a child must only score
in the 15%tile~! 50% is AVERAGE! Our hearing schools are
doing a miserable job as a whole and yet they want Deaf children
to score higher than 3rd grade in a Foreign Language? Something
is other worldly here!

^^^ I'm not surprised about hearing people are not doing well at school either. It is obviously both deaf/hearing children comes from the family with different backgrounds that affects their education and motivation. I met too many lowlife/not so smart hearing people. That is because their parents didn't teach them or support them at all. That is sad but true. :(

I have read this thread and I know many deafies goes to GALLY or NTID. Many of deafies could have challange in community college or university. I think some are lazy and want to finish the degree before go "out world"

Myself profoundly deaf and went to hearing classes all my life. I am very stubborn refuses oral and use the sign language all my life, too. I see alot of challanges in my life with those kind of people in school and undergrauade. I went to TEXAS WOMEN UNIVERSITY and went to community colleges in many different times.

Right now, Medical is my major because I am working with medical issues.

^^^ I'm not surprised about hearing people are not doing well at school either. It is obviously both deaf/hearing children comes from the family with different backgrounds that affects their education and motivation. I met too many lowlife/not so smart hearing people. That is because their parents didn't teach them or support them at all. That is sad but true. :(

Yea...I agree. Too many teachers are burnt out from carrying all the burdens of teaching AND raising kids while being underpaid . Less people are seeking careers in education so unless something changes, there will be a crisis of teacher shortage in the future.

Less people are seeking careers in education so unless something changes, there will be a crisis of teacher shortage in the future.
Not in Deaf Education; there will be a crisis of a teacher surplus in the future. There's simply not enough Deaf people in elementary/secondary settings, and the numbers continue to dwindle in the future. And yet, there continue to be newly minted graduates seeking employment in Deaf Education every year.

Yea...I agree. Too many teachers are burnt out from carrying all the burdens of teaching AND raising kids while being underpaid . Less people are seeking careers in education so unless something changes, there will be a crisis of teacher shortage in the future.

Very true. In my experience, my old high school in California before I transferred to different high school in Oregon... That old high school has so many teachers who have absolutely have no motivation in teaching. All they did was just pass out the assignments for us to work on it. They never bothered to stand up and start teaching us. There was very few good teachers in that old high school. That is sad. I also discussed it with some of my hearing friends about their education background in public/private schools. They had similar experiences as I had in public schools.

Recently, I learned that more than forty percent of Seattle Schools District teachers will retire within five years from now. They're baby boomers. One of my friends who is a teacher (he is new teacher) told me that school district is trying to find a several hundreds of new teachers to hire within five years from now. It is challenge.

I always wonder why many deaf people prefer to go to Galluadet University or NTID/RIT or CSUN? Why not they want to go to random school like UCLA or UCSB or Harvard or Princeton or ASU or UW or any public or private universities?

I have nothing against Galluadet or NTID/RIT or CSUN... I don't want to go there just because deaf people goes there. I rather to go to random school like I go to Art Institute of Seattle... Why? I want to achieve my goals, focus on my education, offer opportunities, and educate hearing people that deaf people can do anything too. I plan to go to another random school to receive my masters of business administration (MBA).

I met so many hearing people that are very naives about deaf people. They never met deaf people before or have no knowledges about how to work with deaf people. I feel that deaf people shouldn't just depend on Galluadet, NTID/RIT, or CSUN just for deaf social or deaf culture experience... They should think about their education and future. Also help hearing people across the country and the world realize that deaf people can do anything too than isolated themself in deaf schools.

I personally know some deaf people goes to random schools just do exactly same thing as I am doing right now. But still not very many of them do that. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You have good question here.

When I was at 4 grade, my parents forced me to move to the public school because WSD (Washington School for the Deaf) want me to stay at 3 grade for second year, which my parents would never allow. I thought I hate the public school because few deafies, but when I continue around the public school, I have been noticing alot of hearing people look down against the deafies, making fun of them, etc. That pissed me off, even the special education for the deafies pissed me off too because they make the deafies look like lower logically compare to the hearing people.

I haven't fought for this till I was in high school, I finally fed up with the special education because I was kept having A, A, A, A, A, A all the times, and I did good just like other hearing people do at their classes, but surprisely the staff who works for special education disagree against me and put effort for me to stay in the special education, I did fight with her, but I lost. But what's funny is that the special education where I went, the teacher put me in the study hall instead but in the same class!

Till I finally very proudly to have the Senior Award as best photography student equally as other one hearing student got same Senior Award, and graduated at very exactly same level as hearing people graduated with, and I passed with my Senior Project "Discrimination and Rights of the Deafness". I felt so good about it.

When I went to the college, Clark College in Vancouver WA, for the Japanese language class. Again those hearing people was very shocked that I join there because they thought deafies can't learn any new language due to it's lack speaking and hearing, even those people who works with deafies too, they thought I can't learn Japanese because the Japanese language was too complicated for deafies due to its written system, which I strongly disagree and I did fought with them. Thus, I successful join that class, I learned LOT of things from that class without any problem.

I started to realized if I go to Galladuet or CSUN or whatever, then I will be islotated from the hearing world that can't learn about the deaf people because deaf people probably kept stay together. I rather to go as hearing people so that they can have opporiunity to learn how the deaf people learn and live, many more of stuff about the deaf people.

Sorry for the big post, but this is very important thing to me.

When I was at 4 grade, my parents forced me to move to the public school because WSD (Washington School for the Deaf) want me to stay at 3 grade for second year, which my parents would never allow. I thought I hate the public school because few deafies, but when I continue around the public school, I have been noticing alot of hearing people look down against the deafies, making fun of them, etc. That pissed me off, even the special education for the deafies pissed me off too because they make the deafies look like lower logically compare to the hearing people.

I haven't fought for this till I was in high school, I finally fed up with the special education because I was kept having A, A, A, A, A, A all the times, and I did good just like other hearing people do at their classes, but surprisely the staff who works for special education disagree against me and put effort for me to stay in the special education, I did fight with her, but I lost. But what's funny is that the special education where I went, the teacher put me in the study hall instead but in the same class!

Till I finally very proudly to have the Senior Award as best photography student equally as other one hearing student got same Senior Award, and graduated at very exactly same level as hearing people graduated with, and I passed with my Senior Project "Discrimination and Rights of the Deafness". I felt so good about it.

When I went to the college, Clark College in Vancouver WA, for the Japanese language class. Again those hearing people was very shocked that I join there because they thought deafies can't learn any new language due to it's lack speaking and hearing, even those people who works with deafies too, they thought I can't learn Japanese because the Japanese language was too complicated for deafies due to its written system, which I strongly disagree and I did fought with them. Thus, I successful join that class, I learned LOT of things from that class without any problem.

I started to realized if I go to Galladuet or CSUN or whatever, then I will be islotated from the hearing world that can't learn about the deaf people because deaf people probably kept stay together. I rather to go as hearing people so that they can have opporiunity to learn how the deaf people learn and live, many more of stuff about the deaf people.

This is an excellent example. But I am surprised at the attitudes around
learning Japanese, because it is a system that is dependent on pictures
that form whole ideas. Much like ASL. I would think Deaf people would be
able to learn that lang better than other languages and better than Hearing
people because Hearing people become so dependent on that sense. I
certainly can't make heads or tails of it! Congratualtions! Excellent work!

This is an excellent example. But I am surprised at the attitudes around
learning Japanese, because it is a system that is dependent on pictures
that form whole ideas. Much like ASL. I would think Deaf people would be
able to learn that lang better than other languages and better than Hearing
people because Hearing people become so dependent on that sense. I
certainly can't make heads or tails of it! Congratualtions! Excellent work!

Totally agree with your about the Japanese language! And thank you for congratualtion for me :)

WOW!!!! That is amazing!!! I'm glad you fought for your education and rights to learn! You proved them wrong! Keep it up! :)

I completely agree with you about educate hearing people about deaf people. That is exactly what I am doing lately! :)

WOW!!!! That is amazing!!! I'm glad you fought for your education and rights to learn! You proved them wrong! Keep it up! :)

Yupp :) I never let hearing people accuse me that I can't do what I want to do as due to my deafness. Sometimes I have to admit, it make me feel better to prove them wrong :D

I completely agree with you about educate hearing people about deaf people. That is exactly what I am doing lately! :)

Yupp, keep it up too! :)

I considered Gally when I started to think about college. Actually, everyone around me kept asking if I was going to go there. That was kind of a turn off as it seemed like the perception was that I would fit at Gally and nowhere else.

Growing up, I rarely met other deaf people. I am the youngest of 5 and have no HoH/deaf in my family. I was sent to public schools where I was the only deaf student. Mostly, this was ok. I wore HAs, got help from understanding teachers, got screwed by some teachers who assumed I was dumb, etc. I made friends, in part through school sports, and didn't get teased (or at least I never heard any teasing :giggle:). But it was a bit lonely being "the only one".

There is a residential school for the deaf about an hour from my parents' house. I went there once to look around and hated it. No privacy. Institutional feel. It seemed so isololated from the world. My parents were really against me going because they thought I would not get a good education. And I think they were concerned that their shy, youngest child would be homesick (I probably would have).

Part of the bad vibe from that school made me not so interested in Gally. I was also concerned that I wouldn't fit in as I have had no real contact with the deaf community. In one way, it seemed like I would face problems of fitting in at a hearing school AND at Gally. I'm used to not fitting in 100% with hearing and had hearing friends from high school who planned on attending the school I was interested. So I knew I would have some friends right from the start. I also like the smaller size (I go to a private school) and the fact that it is not so far from my parents (Gally was too far away).

Now that I"m in my 3rd year of college, I don't have any real regrets about my choice of schools, but I do with I could experience Gally as a student for just a bit. I think I'm slightly more confident and would have a better experience now that I would have when I first went off to college.

This is too long, sorry. At any rate, it all turned out fine in the end. :wiggle:

I recently graduated with a degree from a non deaf school. Others in my Vancouver, British Columbia area, who I consider peers (approximately my age) have degrees as well. Some of these peers also have diplomas or certificates in welding, x-ray technican, autobody, painting etc. But everyone here is local and went to school locally. Its what we have here so its what we take advantage of. I suppose if I was to attend a school in a different province or country I would go as far as considering Gallaudet (if they offered the degree I wanted), but this was not neccessary for me.

I considered Gally when I started to think about college. Actually, everyone around me kept asking if I was going to go there. That was kind of a turn off as it seemed like the perception was that I would fit at Gally and nowhere else.

Growing up, I rarely met other deaf people. I am the youngest of 5 and have no HoH/deaf in my family. I was sent to public schools where I was the only deaf student. Mostly, this was ok. I wore HAs, got help from understanding teachers, got screwed by some teachers who assumed I was dumb, etc. I made friends, in part through school sports, and didn't get teased (or at least I never heard any teasing :giggle:). But it was a bit lonely being "the only one".

There is a residential school for the deaf about an hour from my parents' house. I went there once to look around and hated it. No privacy. Institutional feel. It seemed so isololated from the world. My parents were really against me going because they thought I would not get a good education. And I think they were concerned that their shy, youngest child would be homesick (I probably would have).

Part of the bad vibe from that school made me not so interested in Gally. I was also concerned that I wouldn't fit in as I have had no real contact with the deaf community. In one way, it seemed like I would face problems of fitting in at a hearing school AND at Gally. I'm used to not fitting in 100% with hearing and had hearing friends from high school who planned on attending the school I was interested. So I knew I would have some friends right from the start. I also like the smaller size (I go to a private school) and the fact that it is not so far from my parents (Gally was too far away).

Now that I"m in my 3rd year of college, I don't have any real regrets about my choice of schools, but I do with I could experience Gally as a student for just a bit. I think I'm slightly more confident and would have a better experience now that I would have when I first went off to college.

This is too long, sorry. At any rate, it all turned out fine in the end. :wiggle:

Yea, I was kinda in the same shoes as u were. When I was a senior in high school, I was told about Gallaudet but I had no interest in going to a deaf college cuz I grew up orally and only knew 2 deaf people in my life.

However, I went to ASU, got my BA degree and I was much more interested in the Deaf community and ASL so I went to Gallaudet for my masters. I have to say that looking back, I wouldnt have made it at Gally as an undergrad cuz I wasnt ready for the idenity change but going to Gally for grad school was one of the best decisions I have ever made because I was ready. I did face discrimination cuz I acted "hearing" but I ignored those who were close minded and immature and found many wonderful deaf and hearing friends there.

I recently graduated with a degree from a non deaf school. Others in my Vancouver, British Columbia area, who I consider peers (approximately my age) have degrees as well.

I'm a Vancouverite myself, and I'm in my first year at Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design. Going to Gally would make me an International student, so I didn't even consider it. If I wanted to go to a school in another country, I would have picked CalArts to get my degree - especially since I go to art school, not a regular university. I'm not very well-versed in the topic, but I don't know of any deaf art schools in Canada!

If I had different career prospects and were a US citizen, maybe I'd consider going to Gallaudet. I also grew up knowing only a few deaf/HoH people. At my current school, I met my best friend who is deaf, and know of only one other person in my school who is either deaf or HoH. Most of the people at my school are fairly open-minded but since this is my first year and I'm just a month in, I'm in the "cold shoulder" phase where the people I used to socialize with (who initially had no idea I was deaf - I come off as hearing all the time, and no one finds out until I tell them) start ignoring/avoiding me, ugh. Still, I've already got 2 or 3 very close friends and a bunch of other casual friends/acquaintances so that's good enough for me. Better than high school, I have to admit.

It's a question of priority.
a) Which would you put first: your future or your happiness? (A lot of people see their future as a route towards happiness; that's a matter of opinion, I guess)
b) Is your social life more important (even if only slightly) than your academic life?

In all honesty, I probably would have chosen a deaf university if it didn't affect my initial career prospects. Hypothetically, that is - if I didn't have to pay the International student tuition (although I haven't done my research on this), and if I had the intention of going to a regular university to begin with. I gotta say, that may have been a yes for me. I hated the social atmosphere in high school, and the one at my current school isn't exactly a dramatic improvement. Having a hearing loss had a major impact on my emotions and self esteem as a kid; I think it's an important experience to immerse yourself with a bunch of other people who share similar life experiences.

Back