I have a question...

Well, there were few Native Deaf people who are in the Deaf event. Here I am the only one on the reserve that I am Deaf. On another reserve, there were three of them (Two Natives and one White) who are all Deaf. Now one Deaf Native and One White (both married) are living off reserve into the city as they have accommodations better than on the reserve. The other Native Deaf live by himself with his family members (Siblings and his mother) on the reserve. He would rather stay on the reserve than living in the city.

There are several Deaf Natives scattered throughout the First Nation reserves all across Ontario. Now that I am a member of the Deaf First Nation of Ontario and we meet once a year to discuss our struggled with Canadian Hearing Society and other discrimination against us, Native Deafies. This summer, it will be our third time to discuss some more discussions on the sacred campground which is Native land. I am not sure if I am going or not because I am having problem with my budget since my husband passed away. We will have that discussion on the end of this month (June). We are #Idle No More. :)

Back in Albuquerque, New Mexico, we have a large Deaf community and there are few Deaf Natives that want to come to the Deaf events. I see them sometimes and yes, I spend a lot of time communicating with the Deaf whites more than the Deaf Natives. But us, Deaf Natives, are more comfortable trying to talk with them and ourselves. We are kind of united with each other as long as we sign ASL. :)

Back