I Have A Question For People Who Wear Hearing Aids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hated wearing mine.

I did get to the point that I just could not take my Hearing Aids for the last 5 years. I developed migraines and tinnutis from them. At that point, I started working to get cochlear implants. I did keep wearing them at work and activities, but as soon as I got home, I took them off.
That's a good plan.

Right now, I'm not wearing my hearing aids. I'm not listening to any music or watching a movie with desire to hear it, not expecting anyone to come see me and talk with me, not expecting a phone call, etc... so what's the point of wearing my hearing aid?

I'm actually saving a lot of money from not wearing out my batteries! ;)

Easy, I was looks conscious. I resorted to obtaining an in the canal type. This worked for me several more years til I became profoundly deaf. I now use a CI, AND back to a bte processor. Still a BIG SOB, but I found it wasn't the bte, but how one carries themselves, but that is another subject matter.

That's a good plan.

Right now, I'm not wearing my hearing aids. I'm not listening to any music or watching a movie with desire to hear it, not expecting anyone to come see me and talk with me, not expecting a phone call, etc... so what's the point of wearing my hearing aid?

I'm actually saving a lot of money from not wearing out my batteries! ;)

I don't want to ever see those little batteries ever again!!!!!!
I remember running out at 5:30 A.M. to get batteries for work. 7 months after CI surgery I am still finding old batteries around.

So VamPyroX, what are you buying with all this money?????

Hearing aids sometimes feel like clutter, in likewise of glasses. I have moments all the time where I feel like it is no longer worth it to wear the hearing aids. Hearing aids may help me hear, but it is the not equivalent of "normal hearing." It is just hard and tiring to lipread and concentrate all the time.

Jaden

I don't want to ever see those little batteries ever again!!!!!!
I remember running out at 5:30 A.M. to get batteries for work. 7 months after CI surgery I am still finding old batteries around.

So VamPyroX, what are you buying with all this money?????
DVDs! ;)

I usually buy my batteries from Wal*Mart. It seems that they're the cheapest there. :)

DVDs! ;)

I usually buy my batteries from Wal*Mart. It seems that they're the cheapest there. :)

:)

They are cheaper there, but they just keep moving them around in our WalMarts. One day they are at the Pharmacy, the next they are with contact solution. Even one day I found them on an end cap. Yuck!

And those blue seals - they stick to everythings!!!!

Hearing aids sometimes feel like clutter, in likewise of glasses. I have moments all the time where I feel like it is no longer worth it to wear the hearing aids. Hearing aids may help me hear, but it is the not equivalent of "normal hearing." It is just hard and tiring to lipread and concentrate all the time.

Jaden

I agree!

That is why I wear contacts instead. I even have the extended wear so I don't have to deal with them, but onces a week.

My hearing aids just caused so much pain with migraines and tinnutis. I looked at them each day with pain as I put them on. They did help me hear, but somedays it was not worth it.

I have a love hate relationship with my HAs. I cannot hear anything without them, totally dependent on them to hear any speech. I cannot understand any music since I lost my hearing last year, with or without a HA. But to be honest I am getting to the point where I prefer to not wear them. I must wear them to work or be with my family, but I prefer the times when I can just leave them out. Next month my wife and I are enrolling in ASL classes.

As for tinnitus, I have it 24/7 in both ears, w/ or w/out my HAs. I have come to view it as an old friend.

I need to wear my HA's for work and I actually really like them. But once I get home if I am not going to use the phone or go back out I take em out.

I also prefer to use closed captioning rather than use my HA's for TV.

I usually trun them off when I go into places like Target, Safeway, the mall or any other noisy place when I am there alone...I'll take the quiet!!

I have no problem with my HAs, but one part frustrates me is that the BATTERIES. It seems like I have to put in new batteries EVERY 2 WEEKS!, and it makes no sense to me. I had HAs before and my battery be good for a month or 3 half weeks before changing new battery. This new powerful HA that I have seems to use up the battery fast.

Maybe it's the HAs or the Battery, so my question WHICH IS BEST brand of HA battery to use and last much longer? My audie gave me 2 packs of batteries and it's amplifon usa. I know it is no good, so ANYONE knows the good brand of HA battery to use?

I love my hearing aids, but it just Battery seems to be used up fast.

As for tinnitus, I have it 24/7 in both ears, w/ or w/out my HAs. I have come to view it as an old friend.

Yes this is the best way to deal with tinnitus. Accept it and even learn to listen to it and laugh at it.

I have no problem with my HAs, but one part frustrates me is that the BATTERIES. It seems like I have to put in new batteries EVERY 2 WEEKS!, and it makes no sense to me. I had HAs before and my battery be good for a month or 3 half weeks before changing new battery. This new powerful HA that I have seems to use up the battery fast.

Maybe it's the HAs or the Battery, so my question WHICH IS BEST brand of HA battery to use and last much longer? My audie gave me 2 packs of batteries and it's amplifon usa. I know it is no good, so ANYONE knows the good brand of HA battery to use?

I love my hearing aids, but it just Battery seems to be used up fast.

Two weeks is acually is about average for hearing aids and been the case for me for many years with my hearing aids. My cochlear implant batteries on my other ear last only 2½ days and it takes three batteries! Is your new hearing aids uses a smaller battery vs your older hearing aids?

:)

They are cheaper there, but they just keep moving them around in our WalMarts. One day they are at the Pharmacy, the next they are with contact solution. Even one day I found them on an end cap. Yuck!

And those blue seals - they stick to everythings!!!!
For me, they don't move often in one store... but different stores do have them in different locations. :dunno:

I need to wear my HA's for work and I actually really like them. But once I get home if I am not going to use the phone or go back out I take em out.

I also prefer to use closed captioning rather than use my HA's for TV.

I usually trun them off when I go into places like Target, Safeway, the mall or any other noisy place when I am there alone...I'll take the quiet!!
Ditto.

There are some movies or television shows that I want to wear my hearing aid for... because of the sound quality that they offer. For instance, The Day After Tomorrow... lots of rumbling and loud sounds... excellent with speakers. If it's a simple comedy and not a lot of sound effects are involved, then I can do without my hearing aid. ;)

Two weeks is acually is about average for hearing aids and been the case for me for many years with my hearing aids. My cochlear implant batteries on my other ear last only 2½ days and it takes three batteries! Is your new hearing aids uses a smaller battery vs your older hearing aids?

2 1/2 days??? For real?Is this the norm?
Thats a super short life span!

Yeah, I think the audies meant auditory memory but I'm not sure if I buy the db loss factor, tho.

It would make sense that you might loose auditory memory, but the dB loss seems to be more likely with the constant input from an HA on max volume.

No, my older HAs use the same size batteries. So I guess the powerful HAs must absorb lots of power than my old HAs. My older ones usually last about 3 weeks. :whistle:

:Ohno: That means I must have funeral every 2 weeks for Dead Batteries LMAO:laugh2:

I stopped wearing a hearing aid in my left ear in the 4th grade (I'm now 22). I realized I wasn't hearing anything in the left ear with the hearing aid, no matter what (fresh batteries, volume turned up to the max, NADA). But I continue to wear a hearing aid in the right ear, as I do hear some with the right ear (just not as well as I used to several years ago, I'm highly depended on visual support to understand what is being said). There are some days when I don't have my right hearing aid on, like when I have bad migraines, or ear infections or just a really sore ear. Even at work, I'll turn off or take off the HA and just do without it, and my supervisor is understanding of why I do this from time to time. I don't use the phone there, and I don't usually talk to anyone unless I need to, so it's no big deal for me to be DEAF at work.

Ever Reach a point that you feel like you no longer want to wear your hearing aids? If so,tell why?

Definitely. I got my hearing aids very late in life (due to monetary resrictions-- hearing aids are pricey!!) and when I got them the noise was just too overwhelming. I couldn't take it. (I felt terrible, because I knew my parents spent a lot of money we didn't have on them.) But, I am slowly readjusting-- after a time of wearing them only in lectures (ie not dance class, etc), then in all classes, now most of the time--- but sometimes, I just want quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back