I have a cold and need help.

H.o.H_Angel

Reaction score
I have a cold. I'm really congested any suggestions how to not be congested? I've tried musinex, tea, vapors, shower steam. Nothing seems to work. I've had this cold for about 5 days now. :(

Maybe you should go to the doctor. You might need an antibiotic?

Do you have asthma?

Yeah, I have severe asthma. I already took my medicine for today. :/ I still have a little bit of antibiotics left over from my visit to the dentist. I will try to set up an appointment today after school.

Shower steam might be counter productive. It loosens the mucus. I would actually contact the pharmacist first if not running a fever and breathing ok by mouth.

BTW, my cold remedy is tons of OJ And brushing my teeth And using a mouth rinse often. These may do absolutely nothing :lol: but it feels like it works.

Two things I have tried that seem to help alot, but are both pretty weird:

Nasal irrigation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oil Pulling Cures

You need equipment for the irrigation. The oil pulling just requires a tablespoon of oil and some patience. If you can't breathe *at all* through your nose, then I guess this is off limits, although sometimes I feel as though I can't, but once I start with the oil I find that I can. I don't necessarily believe everything they say about how it works or what it can cure, but I had a bunch of symptoms let up or go away after a few days of this.

Whatever you do, good luck! Congestion is so frustrating.

omg...why did you not finish them that irresponsile and taking antibiotics after one month old wont work,plus different infections different anti biotics..a cold virus will go within a week if take antibiotics gone in seven days if you dont..
if you unhappy with advice or get asthma go to doctor

Could be a sinus infection, so yes, do go to your doctor. If he thinks it's a sinus infection, he will give you antibiotics. FINISH YOUR ANTIBIOTICS! Do NOT stop taking them once you feel better. You must take them for the duration prescribed unless the doctor (or the instructions) say differently.

From what my ENT doctor says: Take some antihistamine. Yes, you will feel drowsy, but antihistamines will reduce the swelling.

Decongestants are a no-no these days; they cause rebound effects. If I am really plugged up, I use Afrin....on one side only, and only at bedtime. I alternate sides each night.

Warning: nasal sprays like Afrin are highly addictive, and have serious rebound effects, so don't use more than once a day.

As they say, " A cold lasts 7 days with treatment and a week without treatment." ;-)

For congestion, use an antihistamine as green427 said and try a Neti pot/nasal rinse twice a day for a few days.

It could be a sinus infection. If that's the case, you will need antibiotics. Cold/Allergy meds will not heal a sinus infection. You may want to consider calling your doctor. A long-term cold (much longer than 5 days, I don't think you are at risk yet) can lead to other health complications such as bronchitis or pneumonia.

Yeah, I have severe asthma. I already took my medicine for today. :/ I still have a little bit of antibiotics left over from my visit to the dentist. I will try to set up an appointment today after school.

It is not a good idea to take antibiotics if you do not need them and if you need some antibiotics it may not be the right kind and you do not have the full doze . You need to take the correct number of pills and strength of antibiotics to work . If you do have an infection the require taking antibiotics
you could send making yourself sicker.

You CAN'T take a little bit of antibiotic!

This is how you become resistant to antibiotics, and this is how bacteria
mutate into a resistant strains of mutants causing the existing antibiotics ineffective in fighting infections!

Otherwise you are contributing to this ever growing problem:

The best way to cause bacteria to become resistant to antibiotics is to undertreat them. Bacteria multiply very rapidly. As they multiply, random mistakes occur in their DNA which can make them resistant to antibiotics.
Is it really important to finish antibiotics? - iVillage

Read More Is it really important to finish antibiotics? - iVillage

improper use of antibiotics by patients,

Antibiotic resistance

Always, always finish the whole course of your antibiotic even if you feel well
and never take it by yourself!

Fuzzy

I'm still getting over a cold. Been a week. Mostly it's over with, but still got a bit of the cough and my nose is still a bit congested. But the nasal sinus rinse has helped..... really weird but wooo really clears all the gunk out of the nose for a little while (as gross as it may be)! I also took some Mucinex Fast Max for cold/congestion, which helped.

You CAN'T take a little bit of antibiotic!

This is how you become resistant to antibiotics, and this is how bacteria
mutate into a resistant strains of mutants causing the existing antibiotics ineffective in fighting infections!

Otherwise you are contributing to this ever growing problem:

The best way to cause bacteria to become resistant to antibiotics is to undertreat them. Bacteria multiply very rapidly. As they multiply, random mistakes occur in their DNA which can make them resistant to antibiotics.
Is it really important to finish antibiotics? - iVillage

Read More Is it really important to finish antibiotics? - iVillage

improper use of antibiotics by patients,

Antibiotic resistance

Always, always finish the whole course of your antibiotic even if you feel well
and never take it by yourself!

Fuzzy

:gpost: and you're 100 % right! I had to give my dog all of his Antibiotic for his urine infection if I didn't it infection would had gotten worst

I'll put my 2 cents worth in....maybe you have allergies. This time of year in a lot of areas allergies are terrible.
Do you have a headache? If you lean forward do you feel pressure around your eyes, nose and possibly in your upper teeth? Possibly a sinus infection. If you are still not feeling well after 7 days you probably should check with your doctor. What others have said about antibiotics is good information. Always finish your antibiotics. Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you all for responding. I am already on antihistamine's. I have allergies too, so some days it just burns like crazy, but this doesn't burn it's just really stuffy with lots of pressure under my eyes. I ate some salsa earlier and it opened up my sinuses for half a second and closed back up. :(

Thank you all for responding. I am already on antihistamine's. I have allergies too, so some days it just burns like crazy, but this doesn't burn it's just really stuffy with lots of pressure under my eyes. I ate some salsa earlier and it opened up my sinuses for half a second and closed back up. :(

Pressure under the eyes? Good chance it's a sinus infection so go to the doctor.
Do you also have a bad taste in your mouth, maybe metallic? I sometimes have that with a sinus infection.

Back