I hate this........

I'm hearing and I count myself as one who has issues with written English. Point blank: I do not write well. I can spell fairly well, but I know I've made mistakes while writing posts. My main weakness is grammar, however. I struggle greatly when I write; even though I try to correct as I go along.

My point is I would never put down someone else for their writing when I struggle with the same thing! It's just NOT right!

PFH is right on!

So here I am looking at the jobs section for something simple to do. Mostly labor. I generally want to do golf course labor.

So, I find this...

That was the entire job description. Copied and pasted directly.

I'm thinking to myself: This is the boss. Too bad they probably will think "You can't hear."

You guys can just imagine what I can think in response to that.

This is just so wrong. People hammer the Deaf for having bad English and here we are.

Unbelievable. :shock: Someone needs remediation in a zero level English composition course.

That even mediocre fourth grade work is better than the example of the job ad you posted.
Those 4th graders are being assessed and they know it.

The ad writer is not being assessed and it shows.

Hm. I'm hearing. I didn't realize that so many people who can hear are so ignorant in this regard. I suppose that is partly due to the fact I don't associate with people who make such judgement.
Hearing or not, anyone is just as capable at reading/writing in English.
I've never thought of Deaf people being any less able than anyone else.

It really disappoints me so many hearing people believe Deaf people to be less capable.
I'll make it one of my goals to enlighten people of their misbeliefs.
:\

PFH I don't spelling mistakes can be devolved into whether can hear. Gee- the cultural deaf/Deaf- make spelling mistakes in written material?

Implanted A B Harmony Activated Aug/07

Actuallly, the deaf are better spellers than the hearing. So much for your vast knowledge.

Excuse me...I just read all of this and I have to go outside and scream at the top of my lungs!:rifle:

I am thinking the hearing are worse at spelling because they learn phonetically - by sound. They spell things exactly as they sound with complete disregard for grammatical rules and homophones, words that sound the same but are spelled differently and have different meanings, such as in this case with 'sails' and 'sales'.

I am thinking the hearing are worse at spelling because they learn phonetically - by sound. They spell things exactly as they sound with complete disregard for grammatical rules and homophones, words that sound the same but are spelled differently and have different meanings, such as in this case with 'sails' and 'sales'.
I believe that is part of it.

I have always thought that if people read more and saw correctly spelled words enough times, it would sink in and they would know a word looked wrong if misspelled.

But I also know some very well read people who can't spell worth much, so there are probably other and better reasons for misspelling.

Actuallly, the deaf are better spellers than the hearing.

What research do you have to support that? According to this paper, that is not true.

http://spell.psychology.wustl.edu/HayesSpellingDeaf/SpellingDeaf.pdf

"For people who have early hearing loss, achieving average literacy levels by adulthood is a difficult task. The median reading comprehension skills for deaf 17-year-olds in the U.S. is at a fourth-grade (9-year-old) level, a delay of about eight years (Holt, 1993; Traxler, 2000). Deaf children’s spelling is also poorer than that of hearing children (Allman, 2002; Burden & Campbell, 1994; Gates & Chase, 1926; Harris & Moreno, 2004; Sutcliffe, Dowker, & Campbell, 1999; Watson, 2002). "

What research do you have to support that? According to this paper, that is not true.

"For people who have early hearing loss, achieving average literacy levels by adulthood is a difficult task. The median reading comprehension skills for deaf 17-year-olds in the U.S. is at a fourth-grade (9-year-old) level, a delay of about eight years (Holt, 1993; Traxler, 2000). Deaf children’s spelling is also poorer than that of hearing children (Allman, 2002; Burden & Campbell, 1994; Gates & Chase, 1926; Harris & Moreno, 2004; Sutcliffe, Dowker, & Campbell, 1999; Watson, 2002). "
Is spelling the same thing as literacy level?

And are you removing the name of the person you quoted for a reason? Who is the "you" you are referring to?

Damn, you're good. Even your citations are correct. :lol:

Even I can easily find research to rebuke that, Beach girl. I almost am ashamed that you believe what you just posted. The reason I said almost is that people constantly blast that I am apathetic, so I thought I'd act the part.

I try. I can Google with the best of 'em. :lol:

Glenn, the "you" was to Jillio. I didn't purposely delete the name, it just didn't magically appear when I cut and pasted the quote from her post.

Even I can easily find research to rebuke that, Beach girl

Ok, well, then, find and refute (um, not "rebuke") then. I'm really interested. I was an English teacher years ago, teaching college-level writing to budding electrical engineers, and I swear, that was like teaching English as a Second Language. Some of those guys really struggled with spelling and writing generally. I thought at that time that the issue was that those guys thought very visually, not verbally, and thus had problems.

I would imagine that for deaf children who did not have exposure to listening to language, learning to write would also be like dealing with a foreign language. I'd love to see the research that shows how they acquire good spelling and other language skills.

Back