I hate 'loaner' hearing aids...

RisinDragon

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals! I know it's been a while since I went MIA. RL has litterally been kicking my arse, lately. I so can't wait until July when I get to go to Oregon for 5 days. A much much needed vacation.

Anyhow, my Phonak PowerMaxx 411s are finally 'broken'.

The right aid actually gives me major feedback so the point of giving me headaches. I have to drop the volume on them, but doing so makes me hear less. Not good. I believe there is a short within the aid.

My left aid, the case cracked. Battery won't stay inside, because nothing is holding it in place. I got big fingers and these small things are delicate. LOL

I went to my Audiologist this pass Weds and she hooked me up with 'loaners'. They are Phonak eXtra 311s. Oyie, the last few days have been weird. I know it takes some time for my ears to adjust to the sounds. But they sure sound funky. I feel like I am listening to things within a funnel and these loaners seems to want to 'mute' things I don't want mute. GRRRR She tried her best to make it clear, I just have to deal with it for the time being.

Anyhow, my 411s are 8 years old. In 2011 she tried to get Mediciad to pay for new ones, when they were 5 years old. They reponded with 'no'.

So she contacted a Rep from Phonak and explained my situation to them regarding my insurance company not wanting to get new aids for me. The Rep told her they don't make phonak 411s, they were obsolete. Not only that, they also refuse to 'fix' them.

So that perked up my interest.

I have a new appointment with my audiologist in March. In which I will need a hearing exam and evaluation. Once that is done, she will write up a report for medicaid and see if they can get me new hearing aids since phonak will no longer fix mine.

We both where talking about Naidas. Maybe Naida IIIs.

Once March gets here and she's able to send out the paperwork. It's basically a 'waiting game'. But, knowing how medicaid works, I am not going to get my hopes up.

Have you tried Vocational Rehab? They may help you get new aids.

Last edited:
what a bummer. I hate loaners too, but its been years if not decade since i had loaners and yeah they always sound different for each one. have you tried medicaid again?

Hmmm, never heard of Vocational Rehab. I'll look into that. Thanks!

We are going to try Medicaid again in March. If Medicaid does finally agree to let me get new hearing aids, they will want a hearing evaluation done. Hence the appointment in March. My audiologist has been super busy lately and I really don't trust the other audiologists. I have been going to her for a long time. So we have that rapport between each other.

So we are going to get it all done and send it all together. So they can make a final decision without making me wait even longer. Once we get the go ahead, we'll figure out which aids and then go from there.

Ahh, good memories with my Phonak PowerMaxx 411!! It was my first digital hearing aids :P haha, my hearing aids lasted me 5years and it got weak and distorted and falling apart. I lost one of my battery door and I have to use tape to hold the battery. Eventually, I upgraded to Phonak Naida III UP DaZ. I highly recommend Phonak Naida as they have more "power" for deeper loss.

and besides, I might go nuts for the Naidas this year (we'll see what my status is during the 3rd week of February and then I move on with the audi ordering them after the med clearance says it's OK!)

*yes, my hearing loss is WEIRD!!!*

I had loaner Phonak Extra 411s BTE hearing aids which have more power them the 311s. I went back the next day as couldn't hear a thing and they gave me Unitron hearing aids which I could actually hear from.

Definitely look into Vocational Rehab. PA VR paid for one set of aids, NC paid for my current set (8 years ago)- I'm trying to get NC to pay for a new set now but for whatever reason the process is... SLOW this time around.. VR across the country I think has had budget cutbacks over the last 10 years. Depending on your state VR's rules- they will pay for part of the cost or the full cost (they paid full last time as I was out of work).

Hopefully your medicaid will be more willing to cover new hearing aids for you, since your old ones are unrepairable. Otherwise, do check with Vocational Rehab as others have said. VR bought my hearing aid for me in 2004, and Wyoming Medicaid covered my Naida hearing aid a couple years ago. Wyo Medicaid will cover new hearing aids when the old ones are at least 5 years old and no longer under warranty (they didn't care if the hearing aid was still working or not) My old one was 6-7 years old, warranty long since expired, and kept having to be sent in for repairs every so often it was driving me insane! No questions asked, no issues, the process went smoothly.

Hopefully you can get your new hearing aids without much problems from Medicaid or VR.

Wyo Medicaid will cover new hearing aids when the old ones are at least 5 years old and no longer under warranty (they didn't care if the hearing aid was still working or not) My old one was 6-7 years old, warranty long since expired, and kept having to be sent in for repairs every so often it was driving me insane! No questions asked, no issues, the process went smoothly.
I wish it was that easy in NY. NY seems to be very picky about it. I have attempted when they were 5 years old. They didn't budge. Hopefully now it changes.

Just 2 months to wait and then I'll see what route I shall be taking. One day at a time.

Back