I got an interpreter :)

you could have a interpeter use her voice but in slient and sign at the same time. that what I do for myself lipread the interpeter as watch the sign language.

My asl instructor says I read lips so-so, she usses the so-so sign to describe how well I can read lips. Personally, I think she is right, my abilities are only so-so not perfect or 100%.

My understanding is that even the BEST lipreaders understand less than 50% of words. The rest of the information comes from the deaf person just figuring out what is being said by using context and clozure skills.

My understanding is that even the BEST lipreaders understand less than 50% of words. The rest of the information comes from the deaf person just figuring out what is being said by using context and clozure skills.

OH now I remember reading a study about that in grad school. That really opened my eyes and make me look back to my childhood and realizing how much I really missed out on. *shudders*

Actually the best lipreaders can lipread 60%, not less than 50%.

I've been lipreading since I was 5 years old.. and I was tested on lipreading and told I lipread 60% of what was said.

I appreciate your anecdotal evidence. When studies are conducted, they usually speak in terms of averages, mean, etc. If you were able to get 60%, that would place you above the curve (above average).

I appreciate your anecdotal evidence. When studies are conducted, they usually speak in terms of averages, mean, etc. If you were able to get 60%, that would place you above the curve (above average).

I wonder what score would I have tested? Too late now cuz I do not work hard at lipreading anymore. :giggle:

*off-topic*

I recalled the time I took such a test, whereas to see what percentage I could muster by lip-reading without sound..I was able to get 88%, while with sound, I was able to get 93%.

~RR

Btw jasin, congrats on getting an interpreter and hope it all goes nice and smooth for you! ;)

~RR

*off-topic*

I recalled the time I took such a test, whereas to see what percentage I could muster by lip-reading without sound..I was able to get 88%, while with sound, I was able to get 93%.

~RR

Good job!

I am gonna question the validity of tests like these.. Was it an one time thing? What about in different circumstances such as in group of people chatting away? Was the test condoned in a controlled environment? If so, then it is most likely not valid.

Good job!

I am gonna question the validity of tests like these.. Was it an one time thing? What about in different circumstances such as in group of people chatting away? Was the test condoned in a controlled environment? If so, then it is most likely not valid.

Thank you!

Validity? :lol: It's was done long ago...hence, olddddd. :lol:

However, I can see the point you're giving here, of course, it would make a bigger difference and impact in a noisy and crowded environment. One would need plenty of aspirins for all those head-spins! :lol: Of course, the test was done in a controlled environment on school property. As for it being valid, I consider it valid enough, why? Gave me all the more confidence...therefore, I went about my merrily about ways! :D

~RR

Thank you!

Validity? :lol: It's was done long ago...hence, olddddd. :lol:

However, I can see the point you're giving here, of course, it would make a bigger difference and impact in a noisy and crowded environment. One would need plenty of aspirins for all those head-spins! :lol: Of course, the test was done in a controlled environment on school property. As for it being valid, I consider it valid enough, why? Gave me all the more confidence...therefore, I went about my merrily about ways! :D

~RR

I am just supporting HOHGuyOhio's claims that he read somewhere that lipreaders get 50% of what is being said. So, I think whatever he read was a longitude study...:)

I am just supporting HOHGuyOhio's claims that he read somewhere that lipreaders get 50% of what is being said. So, I think whatever he read was a longitude study...:)

No problem-- ;)

As for me, I experienced it-- :)

~RR

We're not really defining "lip reading". Are context and clozure "acceptable", or do we need to somehow eliminate those? What about facial cues in terms of emotion and so on? Perhaps that 50% is phonemic (graphemic? Visemic? Whatever the equivalent would be.) and the rest is based on morphology, pragmatics, semantics, syntax, and dumb luck.

The test would be valid only when applied to the same controlled environment. It would not be generalizable to any other situation. So therefore, you're right, shel. Extremely low validity.

I Remmy..while I Was In School, They Are Oral Communication, No Sign Languages... We Sit And Watch Teacher's Lipread...but Endup, Make Me Fell Sleep....we Mostly Dont Like To Watch Lipread Steady..for Hours In Class! Now I Am Glad They Requested To Have Total Communication At My School.
Some Of You Get Used With Lipread, Thats Fine..but Might Miss Alot What Teacher Said. When She/he Turn Around, Do The Blackboard And Talking..thats More Difficult For Us.
Asl Interpreters Or Deaf Teachers Really Helped Us Learn Fast.
Hope You Like Asl Interpreters. :)

Hey guys, and gals too, what about reading lips from someone who has a strange foreign accent? Would that make your lip reading a bit more inaccurate?

Hey guys, and gals too, what about reading lips from someone who has a strange foreign accent? Would that make your lip reading a bit more inaccurate?

OOOH..that happens to me a lot especially here in DC where we have many people with different accents. I just try my best to understand them as much as I can. :dunno:

This is actually a good question.. For me, I've lived with a few different people who lived in other countries, and i've had minor trouble understanding them. Mostly becuase they didn't understand how to communicate with me. But generally I understood most of what they said.

Remember.. accents in terms of their voice don't matter. because we're looking at thier face for the cues. So for me, It's easy to understand people of a foreign background, as long as they understand how to communicate with me

Back